Sponsored by:

Garage Floor Renovation Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 01:41 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
A member asked me if I had any tips on porcelain tile install. So I thought I would post here. For mortar I used Mapei Kerabond/Keralastic system. It's two-part and from what I could research the best way to go especially given the weight issue. Using slip pads on joints too (or whatever they call them)

Mapei Kerabond/Keralastic mortar system

For epoxy grout I used Mapei Kerapoxy CQ.

Mapei Kerapoxy CQ

Note on both of these: My installer didn't speak a lot of English and was about to completely f*ck up the install had I not looked over his shoulder. He was going to use water for the mortar, and you don't. They have instructional videos for both products in Spanish on Youtube. Make sure they watch them. Also some tile guys want to charge extra for epoxy grout and that's bullsh*t because it's as easy or even easier to use. You just have to CLEAN UP QUICK. .

But the beautiful thing is the grout is waterproof, oil proof I can use anything to clean it but it won't stain anyway from my experience.

Quotes go all over for labor. From (as I recall) $40 a sq ft to $6 which is about what I paid. I got the tile from Arizona Tile and they referred me to an amazing installer who even saved me 20% on the tile.
Epoxy (or Urethane) is actually more difficult to install than traditional grouts but they are more flexible/much less likely to stain and resist chemicals better than traditional grouts. Clean up takes more work or you risk having to do additional cleaning with chemicals to remove grout haze. That doesn't mean you should let the contractor take advantage though. Make sure the guy has used the product before or be sure to educate yourself (as it looks like you did) so they don't screw it up.

All the floors look great!
Old 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.2 GTS
I’ve visited a huge garage that holds 50+ cars that’s done with the distressed wood porcelain tile that you mentioned, it looks great. Hopefully this IG link works. https://www.instagram.com/p/B_pShz4l...d=3olrl7jkweor

Wow that distressed wood porcelain tile looks amazing!

When its time for cabinets/flooring for the garage I already know itll be tile! Super durable if done right.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:40 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
Wow that distressed wood porcelain tile looks amazing!

When its time for cabinets/flooring for the garage I already know itll be tile! Super durable if done right.

I know! And there are nicer colors than that. They have reclaimed wood and distressed wood in a gray finish

Club finish

Essence colors Essence

What I did looks like stone and I'm happy, but after doing a bathroom in non-slip wood finish it's is soooo bad-*** wish I'd thought of it for the garage.

As to epoxy grout they talk about the cleanup being more difficult but in practice I watched the guy and he even mentioned how easy it was.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:15 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I know! And there are nicer colors than that. They have reclaimed wood and distressed wood in a gray finish

Club finish

Essence colors Essence

What I did looks like stone and I'm happy, but after doing a bathroom in non-slip wood finish it's is soooo bad-*** wish I'd thought of it for the garage.

As to epoxy grout they talk about the cleanup being more difficult but in practice I watched the guy and he even mentioned how easy it was.
Are you worried the wood finish peaks would get chipped or scratched from say using a floor jack?

Thanks for the links!
Old 12-17-2020, 04:49 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
Are you worried the wood finish peaks would get chipped or scratched from say using a floor jack?

Thanks for the links!

There are no peaks. It looks like reclaimed wood and it has enough texture to be non-slip but I would not worry about that. Never heard of floor jacks damaging tile but make sure you get a PEI rating of 4 or up. Highest is 5.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:21 PM
MarcoB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished a Swisstrax install on our garage redo - Very impressed with the product and Swisstrax’ support! Sales Manager Kyle even gave me his personal cell
#....Pretty impressive!

The following users liked this post:
Wrtflyr (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 02:44 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 457 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcoB
Just finished a Swisstrax install on our garage redo - Very impressed with the product and Swisstrax’ support! Sales Manager Kyle even gave me his personal cell
#....Pretty impressive!
Looks great! Was the install as straightforward as they make it seem? Did you have to cut any tiles?

I am seriously considering Swisstrax. They have some great discounts for the holidays.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:30 PM
MarcoB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Gator. - very easy so lay down the tiles, but yes, it can be a bit time-consuming to cut the edge pieces. A table saw and jigsaw ( for the fine cuts) made it go much quicker.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:23 PM
jblr83
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

As my garage is small in an old house in Montreal, and the floor was not leveled at all, I had no choice. I went with tiles…

The following 3 users liked this post by jblr83:
991.2 GTS (12-27-2020), MingusDew (06-05-2022), Sarawnty (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 07:01 PM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jblr83
As my garage is small in an old house in Montreal, and the floor was not leveled at all, I had no choice. I went with tiles…

Looks great, porcelain tiles are the best option if the budget will allow. Check out your Porsche dealer showroom and most likely the service shop as well.
The following users liked this post:
jblr83 (12-27-2020)
Old 09-12-2021, 08:56 AM
jamifids
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
I epoxied my garage floor when I bought my present house about 10 years ago. If your concrete is old you have to acid etch it, which is not fun. One of the side effects of an epoxy floor is the concrete is now sealed and will not allow any water to soak in, so if you pull in during a rain, you will get lots of puddles on your floor. After slipping on the smooth flooring a couple times, even though it had traction flecks in it, I bought three parking mats, which solved the issue with the water.

After researching the subject of garage flooring for a long time, I chose epoxy flooring. This floor is really easy to clean, and it is scratch and damage resistant compared to a regular concrete floor.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:40 AM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 109 Posts

Industrial or commercial applications of epoxy coating of floors ALWAYS put a dusting of sand to make sure its not slick when wet.

Old 09-12-2021, 03:01 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 481 Posts

I polished the cement floor in the newly constructed Garage. Mid-Century Modern design to match house. Excuse the slight mess, I am still organizing things.
Its an option to look into, generally runs $6-8 a square foot for the service. Super high durability and strengthens/seals the concrete with the use of hardeners, Low maintenance also.

The following 3 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
George from MD (09-12-2021), XLR82XS (09-14-2021), z168 (06-05-2022)
Old 09-13-2021, 03:42 AM
jamifids
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Targa4S
Industrial or commercial applications of epoxy coating of floors ALWAYS put a dusting of sand to make sure its not slick when wet.

I read that sand is not recommended. It is better to sprinkle fine wood.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:00 AM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jamifids
I read that sand is not recommended. It is better to sprinkle fine wood.
Like sawdust? Wood decomposes and would turn into a mess. How would you not ruin the whole project if you threw sawdust on the epoxy? Do you have any pics as an example?

Sand adds grip and you won’t slip when its wet. By the time it dries the sand gets pulled into the epoxy and still looks clean. We’ve had it done where i work.

Last edited by 991Targa4S; 09-13-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Renovation Ideas?