Garage Floor Renovation Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 11:33 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

I had the three part type shown by the link for my basement/boat garage:

https://www.guardiangarage.com/

Very pleased with it so now I'm ready to do my car garage and front porch.

Lifetime warranty from lifting off of the concrete. About $6.50 square foot so not cheap.

The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (12-16-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 11:56 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Great garages you guys!

I know Costco offers a Swiss Trax knock off at a pretty good price for those on a budget. Only black or gray offered, but this is the route we're looking at for our garage.

https://www.costco.com/motofloor-modular-garage-flooring-tiles-48-square-feet-per-box-1'-x-1'-tiles.product.100009181.html

​​​​​​
** wow! Looks like they added some colors!
tourenwagen (12-16-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 04:51 PM
Zoeston
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of cool ideas how to make a garage! I really like the fact that all the garages are different but all of them are very beautiful as well and it is hard for me right now to chose the right design and style because I like all of them. I want to build a garage a little bit further from my house because I have 2 little kids and I don't want to wake them up with my engine. So I met a group of professionals from https://www.mastergroups.com.au that proposed me a very good offer which I can't reject. They are going to build the garage and I am sure that they will make everything at a high level as they did with my friend's garage.

Last edited by Zoeston; 12-16-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:01 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 452 Posts

I recently had my floor remodeled and went with a polyurea coating with heavy flake. I opted for low-gloss to reduce slipping when wet and when it does get wet it's really not slippery at all. Polyurea is good for humid climates where the house is. VERY HAPPY with the outcome.

fastforddriver (12-17-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 05:06 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.2 GTS
Porcelain tiles are the only thing that has stood the test of time for me. I’ve tried epoxy more than once but it didn’t hold up to; hot, cold, salt, snow, oil, and heavy jacks the way that porcelain tile has

Porcelain Tiles!
I’m on my 2nd epoxy floor in 5 years. My father is still on his first tile floor in 38 years. Next time, I’ll go with tile. Are those 18” x 18”?

Last edited by mc3456; 12-14-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
polished and stained concrete.

^ So I am guessing it doesn't mind hot tires, etc.? Looks really good, and like a very dark stain? Really like the honesty/eveness of the finish.

Been thinking about epoxy vs black porcelain tile…but keep coming back to polished concrete. Like the look of this a lot.
polobai (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 07:09 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ So I am guessing it doesn't mind hot tires, etc.? Looks really good, and like a very dark stain? Really like the honesty/eveness of the finish.

Been thinking about epoxy vs black porcelain tile…but keep coming back to polished concrete. Like the look of this a lot.

I used porcelain tile and love it, but came up with an idea. They make amazing distressed wood tile that I just installed into a bathroom with epoxy grout so it cannot stain and doesn't need sealing. The distressed wood has an anti-slip finish and they have it in a grey color that looks really really good for a garage floor. It would look bad-***. Shoot.

I love what I did but if I had it to do over.....
Old 12-14-2020, 07:14 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mc3456
I think tile is the best solution. I’m on my 2nd epoxy floor, and they are definitely more fragile. My father put a tile floor in his garage 38 years ago and it’s still going strong.

BTW...great to see the QV in your garage. I just sold mine after 3.5 years of absolute ownership bliss. It was the best driving, and ironically, the most reliable car I’ve ever owned, including over 20 prior higher-end German cars. It was replaced with loaded 2017 C4S Cab, but in many ways, the Alfa was shockingly better. Now gone, but forever missed! Attached is an old family pic prior to the 911.

I missed your post! I agree it's difficult to explain what the Alfa Quadrifoglio is like until you OWN one. Test drive doesn't explain the emotional attachment. Every time I get behind the wheel it's a giggle fest. I almost bought a 4C a couple weeks ago just for kicks but I'm out of space. The best pairing is a QV and a 911. Dynamic duo.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:54 PM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
I’m on my 2nd epoxy floor in 5 years. My father is still on his first tile floor in 38 years. Next time, I’ll go with tile. Are those 18” x 18”?
Larger, they are actually 23.5” x 23.5”. I also did epoxy two times before going with this tile more than ten years ago and it looks as good as the day it went down even with our brutal winters.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:01 PM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I used porcelain tile and love it, but came up with an idea. They make amazing distressed wood tile that I just installed into a bathroom with epoxy grout so it cannot stain and doesn't need sealing. The distressed wood has an anti-slip finish and they have it in a grey color that looks really really good for a garage floor. It would look bad-***. Shoot.

I love what I did but if I had it to do over.....
I’ve visited a huge garage that holds 50+ cars that’s done with the distressed wood porcelain tile that you mentioned, it looks great. Hopefully this IG link works.
View this post on Instagram

Last edited by 991.2 GTS; 12-14-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:07 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

Having experienced the plastic tiles as well as epoxy finishes, I’m convinced that polished concrete is the way to go. Next house...

Let us know how yours turns out.

DaveGee
Old 12-15-2020, 12:43 PM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Having experienced the plastic tiles as well as epoxy finishes, I’m convinced that polished concrete is the way to go. Next house...

Let us know how yours turns out.

DaveGee
Polished concrete would only be as durable as the sealer that's used and its ability to withstand hot tires and for some of us salt and slush. Likely you'd have to reapply the sealer on a regular basis which in my case still didn't hold up very well, in the end the concrete surface eventually turns to powder with the salt and brine that we get in the north.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:58 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I am using Advanta Tuffseal vinyl tiles that are rubber like, not plastic like. Tires can stain colors other than black, welding splatter can burn marks and dragging heavy or sharp objects across can scrape them. My first choice would be porcelain tile, but it’s a wood floor so they would crack under garage shop. Sorry if picture is sideways.

Last edited by pbon; 12-15-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:39 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

A member asked me if I had any tips on porcelain tile install. So I thought I would post here. For mortar I used Mapei Kerabond/Keralastic system. It's two-part and from what I could research the best way to go especially given the weight issue. Using slip pads on joints too (or whatever they call them)

Mapei Kerabond/Keralastic mortar system

For epoxy grout I used Mapei Kerapoxy CQ.

Mapei Kerapoxy CQ

Note on both of these: My installer didn't speak a lot of English and was about to completely f*ck up the install had I not looked over his shoulder. He was going to use water for the mortar, and you don't. They have instructional videos for both products in Spanish on Youtube. Make sure they watch them. Also some tile guys want to charge extra for epoxy grout and that's bullsh*t because it's as easy or even easier to use. You just have to CLEAN UP QUICK. .

But the beautiful thing is the grout is waterproof, oil proof I can use anything to clean it but it won't stain anyway from my experience.

Quotes go all over for labor. From (as I recall) $40 a sq ft to $6 which is about what I paid. I got the tile from Arizona Tile and they referred me to an amazing installer who even saved me 20% on the tile.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:05 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.2 GTS
Polished concrete would only be as durable as the sealer that's used and its ability to withstand hot tires and for some of us salt and slush. Likely you'd have to reapply the sealer on a regular basis which in my case still didn't hold up very well, in the end the concrete surface eventually turns to powder with the salt and brine that we get in the north.
Just a bit more than 4 years on my concrete sealer, and after 4 slushy, salty winters, and lots of garage project work, I am happy with mine. The sealer still keeps water and oil from penetrating. I did not polish since I was not after a glamour look.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Renovation Ideas?