Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yippee, Meet my new baby! Adding New Photos/Info.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 PM
beebalm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Porsche Friends,

I wanted to see what the headlights looked at night. It’s not like I can see myself driving So what better way than to take pictures? It just finished raining so if parts look wet, it is wet.

I think it would be best if it were foggy out because then the light would diffuse and be more visible, but I can’t create fog on demand so for now this will have to do. This is after dusk just before dark.

Parking lights on

Headlights on

Tail lights

Brake and tail lights

Have a nice evening!
BeeBalm
Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I just love the way the running lights, instead of being a row of LED dots, trace out a smooth almost neon-looking line. It is rare indeed for a car to have a feature that both stands out so distinctively, and yet blends in with the nature of the car so well. Michael Mauer, the man is a genius.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, I love the way the running lights look. The optional LED headlights (which I don't have) also have an awesome DRL feature.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:37 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by VIC_50th
Lol!

Great car, BeeBalm. Your enthusiasm is infectious!
Love those Sport Techno rims - would have been my choice if I wasn't getting the 911_50!
Hi VIC_50th,
Your 50th P-car must be so awesome! Congrats on your new baby too!

I love my wheels too because they are very easy to put my hand between them to give them a good washing

Your comment is so very kind, I thank you!
BeeBalm

Last edited by beebalm; 04-14-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
My first Porsche was a guards red Targa many years ago. Since then, I have gotten away from the color. However, the GR 991's I have seen on RL are FANATSTIC! I think the lines of the 991 work especially well with that color. Congrats on your gorgeous acquisition.
Hi Porsche 25th,
Three of my four Porsches have been Guards Red. I guess I like that color
Thank you so much for commenting! It is so very much appreciated!
BeeBalm

Last edited by beebalm; 04-14-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends,

Provided there is no snow on the road, or the temperatures isn’t in the low 20s (F) or below, I always have driven my Porsches year round. Some years there are few days of snow; some years a big blizzard. No blizzards this year. But with the Polar Vortex, it has been a particularly bad winter with lots of days with snow. I don’t bother with snow tires because the number of days with actual snow on the ground is not worth the cost or hassle of changing tires and storing them.

March snow melts quickly resulting a slushy mush, mud, and a mess. So, I bought WeatherTech Digital Fit floor mats. They pop out easy. I can just run some water over them for easy cleanup. In a month or so, after the Spring rains ease up, I’ll remove them and put in the original carpeted floor mats. But, for the Winter and early Spring mess, they work fine. I know some people might not like the idea of non-Porsche accessories within a Porsche but I look at them as being temporary keeping my original Porsche Carpet Mats stored away until Spring has Sprung and I still got nice plush new mats to enjoy! The thought of them getting muddy makes me

Driver’s side

Passenger side

I also took a couple of interior shots.

For this shot I crawled into the back seat.

In this shot I wanted a picture of the sunroof. Notice the glare on the windshield. My husband says when he sees that it reminds him of an Egyptian mummy! If you put on sunglasses, it about disappears.

On a more cheery note Old Man Winter is gone

Thanks for dropping by again.
BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels
Old 04-13-2014, 09:01 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for all the great eye candy!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

nice shots!!!! good interior pix are a rarity!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:37 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by beebalm
Hi VIC_50th,
Your 50th P-car must be so awesome! Congrats on your new baby too!

I love my wheels too because they are very easy to put my hand between them to give them a good washing

Your comment is so very kind, I thank you!
BeeBalm
Yes, washing wheels is definitely easy with the Sport Techno's, and I will have it easy with the Sport Classic wheels, too.
Unfortunately I still have 25 more sleeps until I meet my car; the excitement is mounting rapidly!
I have chosen to get mine via Euro Delivery at Leipzig. We will be putting about 3500-4000 km on it as we drive around the Continent. I can hardly wait!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 AM
Mercel
Advanced

Congrats on the MT! 3 pedals > 2. Nice pics and great looking color BB.

For myself, I regret buying the steel sunroof -- don't use it much and the flimsy fabric wind deflector is a let down.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:28 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by Car25
Your car is pretty. Here is our girl, your relative! - a 1996 993. She is really sweet too.
I'm waiting for my new 991 on order.
Hi Car25,
Nice to meet you Cousin You surely are pretty and sweet!
That was so kind of you Car25 to share her pictures-I thank you.
Hope you now have received your new baby!
BeeBalm

Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
It took a couple months before I got my cert of auth
Thank you very much Anthracite4sCab for that information!
BeeBalm

Old 04-14-2014, 06:34 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Is that something you can always order later? I've heard that buyers really like that, especially on older models. The original window sticker is long gone, but one day I wouldn't mine a cert like that. (I didn't get one originally because I bought a CPO instead of new).
Yes, you can order one right here.

Have a great day!
BeeBalm

Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends

Warning, this post is picture intensive.

I know that there are lots of threads, posts, and pictures about how to detail your car. There are so many different products, and ways of doing things, that it’s too much to take in. I am sure everyone has their own opinion and their own process. Let’s face it. Most everyone has washed a car sometime in their life. There might be a dizzying array of products but eventually it comes down to getting the dirt out and making things shiny.

I like washing the car . I’ve learned some things here on and have been following chuck911’s advice about using Griot’s Speed Shine after the car has been out. It works well. I am not going to advocate the use of any specific product. I’m sure many things will work.

So now it’s time to clean my wheels for the first time. I’m sure how other people do it is fine too. This is how I went about it. (Please forgive the glare in some of the photos. My photographer (let’s call him my assistant ) used a macro lens with fill flash to try to see deep into the wheels so close subjects to the lens are too bright. If you see anything that looks funny, it’s a reflection from the ring flash.)

1. This is how the wheel looked. I’ve been trying to keep up cleaning the external part of the wheel but it’s easy to see the internal is dirty with brake dust along with the area near the wheel lugs.

2. I had a bucket of water with some Griot’s car wash and soaped up the outside of the wheel. It’s superficial because the deep cleaning is coming.

3. And now a quick rinse.

4. First I decided to clean the rubber. This is Griot’s Rubber Cleaner. The tires really do not need this but I figured for it’s first cleaning, why not? I sprayed it on.

5. Then I used this nice little yellow scrubbing pad that also came from Griots.

6. It’s really not all that dirty.

7. Time to rinse off all that rubber cleaner.

8. To actually clean the wheel I used Griot’s Heavy Duty wheel cleaner. It’s what I bought. I sprayed it everywhere and let sit maybe 4 – 5 minutes. I don’t care how the rotor looks. Two minutes on the road and the surface rust will disappear.

9. This stuff works really well. I love how it changes color. Kind of looks like Jupiter, no?

10. Time to actually scrub the wheel. This is a little green sleeve, also from Griots. It works well getting into all the nooks and crannies.

11. Now for the hole area around the wheel lugs. This area needs work. It’s difficult to see in there and I had to go back and do it a second time. This little brush is also from Griots. I don’t want to sound like a commercial but their tools worked well for me.

12. And now for the interior of the wheel. Again, this long brush came from Griots and worked well. I tried to be careful around the wheel weights. The Sport Techno wheels made it very easy to get in there and this brush really gets the insides clean. Unfortunately, one ride and it’s just going to get dirty again. But, at least for today, the inside of the wheel will be clean .

13. Time to rinse off all that purple dirty soap.

14. Now to dry everything off. I got this huge towel a long time ago specifically for drying cars. No, not from Griots. I forget where I got it. It’s not a bath towel.

15. Time to dress the tires with, you guessed it, Griots tire dressing. This is not the glossy stuff. It’s Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner. The blue applicator was also from Griots. Sorry about the glare, that’s the ring flash on the macro lens.

16. At this point, I would be at the end but not this time. Twice a year it’s time for Wheel Wax. I might be doing this wrong but we have found that once in the Spring, and once in the Fall, is good. First, I apply the wheel wax to any part of the wheel I can get to, including way inside where possible. The microfiber towels I use on the wheel to clean off dirt or apply this wax are never used on the paint of the car. Even though they get washed, I see no point in it.

17. I let it dry to a haze. It didn’t take long. Some might get on the tire but that can get cleaned up at the end.

18. I buffed the hazed wax. Different towels are used to buff than to apply.

19. Done

And now some notes from what I observed.

1. Sometimes I missed something so I just went back and got what I missed. It’s always a good idea, if possible, to have a second set of eyes looking because no matter how many times you look, you don’t see what you are missing. Better yet take some macro photos and you will definitely see what you missed.

2. I won’t bother with cleaning the rubber again, until the Fall, unless it is really obvious that it is needed.

3. The rear wheels were more difficult to do than the front, not because they are wider but because suspension parts were actually within the wheel, deep inside, making it difficult to get your hand in there to clean.

4. This goes much quicker after the first wheel (and not taking pictures). You get into a rhythm.

5. The Sport Techno wheels made it very easy to gain access to the interior of the wheels.

So this morning I went to check the wheels. I had the sprinkler on, but not near the car. Although water had not reached the car, some splash did and you can see that at the bottom of these pictures if you look closely.

1. I wanted to show that I could easily reach the back of the wheel. This is true for the rear wheel as well except suspension parts do make it difficult.

2. The finished wheel complete with spray from the lawn

3. I’m amazed that I was able to wax the inside.

4. These nuts are very difficult to properly clean. Not only is it dark in there but it’s low and you really have to work the brush. Even then, it’s difficult to get them truly clean.

5. Really close. It’s difficult for the camera to see deep into the wheel.

6. This is the rear wheel.

7. And a different angle.

8. Now to go get the rotors clean I know how to do that

A final note. Remember back to my note #1. “ … take some macro photos and you will definitely see what you missed” . Have you seen anywhere I missed? Look closely at second photo #4. No matter how many times we BOTH looked at the wheel, we never saw the wheel wax that had not been buffed off. Why not? Normally you look at wheels from the top down. That bit of wax is under the piece of wheel that sticks out. It’s also in the shadows. You don’t see it unless you look very closely at an angle from the bottom (or if the wheel was rotated).

That’s about all I can think of at the moment. I am sure everyone does things differently. This worked for me. Now I am afraid to drive it because I don’t want any brake dust!!!

Thanks for dropping by and saying hello
BeeBalm

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the same Griot's products & they work pretty good. The HD wheel cleaner has a lingering odor.

The pointy end of the Porsche wheel crests leave the factory aimed at the valve stem.....

Quick Reply: Yippee, Meet my new baby! Adding New Photos/Info.