Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yippee, Meet my new baby! Adding New Photos/Info.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:19 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm saving sport plus for 1800 miles... Haven't even pressed the button yet... It gives me something to look forward to .... (2 months speccing the car, 2 months build, 2 months to sport plus... How will i continue my masochism after that? Roflmao...
Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 PM
beebalm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
I can confirm the outlet in the passenger footwell does shut off. I have a V-1 radar detector plugged into
that one.

Have forgotten to manually turn it off after shutting the car off and upon opening the 991's door(s) it reactivates to "on" again - this happens after sitting overnight or over a few days etc

Good to know the cig lighter stays active....

Thank you for the information Hothonda
Have a great weekend.
BeeBalm
Old 05-23-2014, 09:36 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by Msmatt
Like Beebalm, I run the multi in the cigarette lighter slot on my 997 with no issue. In fact the car when I bought it was a showroom queen and was rigged that way in the showroom for about 6 months. Haven't tried the 991 yet, but did get the smokers package with the assumption it would work.

PS. On a side note, it works great on the 993 lighter, but you have to fiddle with the plug to ensure its connected.

Thanks for the information Msmatt
Have a great weekend.
BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels
Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 PM
chylld
Track Day

BeeBalm, sounds like your enthusiasm outweighs any objective measure of convenience, size or weight, and that is the most important thing!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I filled mine out when I got it, almost 2 years ago!
Hi chuckbdc,
Thanks so much for the information.
Have a great weekend.
BeeBalm
Old 05-23-2014, 09:41 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
I fill mine out. People rely on these and if they aren't filled honestly then they don't do people any good and miss-lead them in their purchase. Porsches have so few owners that the pool is small even if all of us filled one out.
Thank you so much Anthracite4sCab for your response.
I did fill it out and needed a nap after Took a long time
Have a great weekend.
BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels
Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends,

I have always liked to wash my car. The make or model didn’t matter. I like to see my car clean. I am only talking about washing, not waxing. Hub, on the other hand, is not so keen on washing cars. His idea of a car wash comes at about second 27 of this old commercial, "Racing, not Posing".

But to give him credit, he will wax a car.

To me, washing a car has always been a simple and satisfying thing. You get a bucket out, some car shampoo, and a towel to dry it. Now they have grit guards and two buckets and who knows what else they will invent. Who knew I have been doing it wrong all this time? But have I? Let’s see.

The thing is, every time you look, there are constantly new techniques and new products being developed. After awhile, they don’t mean anything anymore. Everyone pushes their stuff or what they know but do the really make a difference? If there is a difference, is that difference so subtle nobody would care? I decided to find out.

Giving credit where credit is due, I never heard of foaming a car before. Credit here goes to Money, just like I give credit to Chuck for Speed Shine. So we looked at some videos to see what it’s all about. It kind of makes sense. After all, it’s no different than soaking a frying pan in some hot water and soap, and then cleaning it. Soaking it in suds makes the dirt come of easier. So, if it works for a pan, why not a car? A car is just bigger, and goes Vroom Vroom.

We have a power washer and use it for mundane tasks like cleaning the deck. But, there is no way I was going to use that on a car. Sure, the videos show a LOT more foam coming out of a pressure washer than a garden hose but it would be a major aggravation. It’s one thing to just hook some connection to a garden hose, which I have constantly hooked to lawn equipment, and another to drag out this heavy pressure washer every time to wash the car. Since I like to wash my car, it would be far too much an inconvenience. Convenience matters.

So we got this little foam gun thing you connect to the garden faucet, put some car shampoo in it, waited for something to happen and fzzz, it works for about two seconds and quit.

Thinking it might be lack of water pressure, or too much shampoo, or something clogged, the entire unit gets cleaned and I try it again. Nothing. So the contraption gets tossed. There is an old lesson there. You get what you pay for.

A week or two goes by and hub decides to buy another, better one. Maybe instead of using normal car shampoo you need those new fancy, and expensive, foaming shampoos?

So we got a 16 oz bottle of Honeydew Snow Foam and Mr. Pink, both of which are supposed to be good foaming soaps. Once I figure out which one I like, then I will buy a large size of it. My hub thinks I go through far too much car shampoo anyway. Now you have to buy special soap? Hmm.

So let’s see what happened.

We got a huge thunderstorm, wind, the usual pollen, and leaves falling. My car looked like this this morning.

What a mess. Lets look closer. Eww. Nasty pollen and watermarks.

Eww, look at my nice black glass roof! Could it look worse?

I guess it is time to wash it. But wait, what better time than to go for a ride? So we did what anyone should do. We went for a ride! Get the oil hot and as my hub says “blow the gunk out of the engine” What better time to get it more dirty! But sooner or later you have to go home and finally the time has come to clean the car. Lets see if this newfangled foaming stuff really works or did I buy another dud.

So the directions say to fill with soap up to the line. That is A LOT of soap, about 8 oz.

Then fill to the line with water.

Then rinse the car with water.

This is all in the shade.

So now I give this newfangled foam gun a try.

YEAH! It works! Is there as much foam as a pressure washer? Of course not, but who cares? This is so cool, a giant car bubble bath. I like it.

And the wheels! Pretty cool. To bad I can’t fill this up with Griot’s wheel cleaner.

So I let it soak a few minutes, kind of like soaking a dirty frying pan! And then got out the things to clean. Not going to review that. You all know how to clean your car by hand and rinse it off.

And then it’s time to dry. We read about using a leaf blower to dry the car so since we have a giant portable one, we tried it. No, that tube is not touching the car.

And hated it. It’s just not right. There is something fundamentally wrong with not touching the car to dry. Not sure what but it just didn’t feel right and would take to long.

This is out.

So the car got dried the old fashioned way with a towel

And the results weren’t bad

It was fine. The car was topped off with a bit of Speed Shine and a quick going over the wheels.

But now what? Hmm.

The soap was about gone and that bottle was way to expensive to refill. The foam gun was set to zero, the most foam. There was a little of the mixture left so it was filled halfway to the soap line with old fashioned, cheap car shampoo you buy by the gallon at an chain auto store, topped off with water, and I washed the SUV on setting 2 (out of 5). That meant less suds/bubbles.

I saw little difference in the amount of foam. What’s going on here? Since I need a small step stool to reach the top of the SUV, it was convenient to just spray the foam on top. Good idea. It worked well. But that foaming soap was ridiculously expensive and it’s not clear that it really mattered. It did smell good though.

So, was the car any cleaner? Hmm, not so sure. If it was, it was not discernable to me. It was good to quickly spray the bubbles all over the car and let it soak. Did soaking it really matter? I doubt it. I guess its possible. Maybe if the car had been dirtier?

Was it cool. Oh yeah, way cool. I mean WAY cool.

Was it cost effective? No way. But as someone who goes for a drive just to drive, it’s hard to complain about the price of soap.

It was better on the SUV because it was easier to get to the top and you didn’t have to go back and get more soap on the spongie thing.

So my final assessment, is:

1. Yes, it was worth a few dollars to get this contraption to use and I will use it. It is easy to use. It’s great to use on a tall SUV.

2. The foaming soap is ridiculously expensive. IF we buy more, rather than the generic cheapo stuff from a strip mall store, it will be by the gallon and even then, hub might dilute it with the cheap stuff. This might, or might not, be a gimmick. Still figuring this out.

3. It was FUN, really fun. I loved using it.

4. No way will we use a leaf blower to dry the car. You just lose something by not touching the vehicle. Maybe it is a bonding thing.

Did this actually make the car cleaner? I doubt it. But it is way cool, fun, and I will use it.

Thank you Porsche Friends for reading my newest post Hope you enjoyed it!

BeeBalm

Old 05-23-2014, 10:24 PM
RIndy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful results and very funny narrative.
With all of the detailing steps, I have plenty of touching and bonding time. I personally am very happy there is at least one step without touching the paint. From what I have learned, touching the car equates with potential for scratching the car.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

YES Targa....Looks awesome. Drive it fast!
Old 05-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow! Sporty and classy, love this car.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:07 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
Proud of you. I only took an hour fifteen. Maybe I skipped a few questions. Ha Ha
Hi Anthracite4sCab,
You are too cute
Thanks for your nice reply
Have a great weekend.
BeeBalm_________________________________________________________________ __

Old 05-30-2014, 04:12 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Thanks Beebalm.... Hope you enjoyed every minute bonding with your new car... I have that first washing pleasure planned for this weekend and have spent nearly as much on cleaning product as the options list on my car lol.
400 miles in and Still haven't managed to get my wife to drive it... Her choice, not mine!
Hi Cheekymonkeyman,
Yes, I am and still am enjoying bonding with my baby Thank you
Hope your babies first bath was a success
I know all the needs of our babies here cost an arm and a leg but they surely are worth it
Your wife doesn't know what she is missing
Thanks for your nice reply, it is appreciated.
Have a great weekend.
BeeBalm

Old 05-30-2014, 04:18 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by John's 991
I realize that you have about 11 pages of congratulations but as an owner of a yellow 914 uuummmm more than 25 years ago and a dark blue CS2 now, congratulations. They are totally different, and I confess I wish I kept the 914 (it would be a stripped race car buy now), family needs at the time did not make it possible.

The 991 was a dream come true for me as well and I love driving it on both street and track.

Hi John,
That is so cool you owned my first dream car. I just loved seeing it on the road. The yellow with the black roof was so beautiful and adored how tiny it was. Never got to own a 914 but that's okay, it was a long time ago.
Congratulations on your new baby too
Thanks for your nice reply!
BeeBalm_________________________________________________________________ __

Old 05-30-2014, 04:22 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends,

It’s been a week since I tried the car bubble bath. In that time, the car has seen a bunch of rain so, just like last week, the car had a good, hot run, then I decided to try the bubble bath thing again.

But this time, about 2 oz of honeydew foam was used with the other 6 oz, just generic, left over carwash from a chain store. I used setting zero, the most foam. What were the results?

I think there was just as much foam as last time. In fact, on setting zero, I went through the entire container of soap and just about ran out. Pictures follow:

Check out these bubbles

So, was honey dew really needed? Probably not. We’ve ordered a gallon of the stuff because it is FAR, FAR cheaper to buy it buy the gallon. Buying it in the pint size is a total waste of money. Then it can be mixed 50/50 with generic auto soap, still smell great, and IMO get the same amounts of bubbles.

One other thing I noticed was the car was definitely cleaner than last time. Was that because of its previous bubble bath? Don’t know. Maybe?

But the little leaves and stuff falling from the sky gets into everything. I’ve been picking it out of the engine compartment and frunk. No ideas how it gets into all those nooks and crannies.
Have a great weekend
BeeBalm

Old 05-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

You need this for that foam gun:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-652-c...case-of-1.aspx

Or you could get a foam cannon and a pressure washer. It saves a lot of soap and makes a whole lot more foam.

Quick Reply: Yippee, Meet my new baby! Adding New Photos/Info.