Sponsored by:

Hello all. First time buyer with a question about glass roofs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Hello all. First time buyer with a question about glass roofs

I just put a deposit down on an incoming 50th anniversary car. Graphite gray, manual transmission. I just realized this car has the full glass sunroof. I'm concerned that this changes the look of the car a great deal based on the painted black sections. Also concerning is all that glass up on the roof. I will track the car a couple times per season, I'm not thrilled about the weight, but also the safety of an all glass roof. Granted track time will be limited and it is mainly a road car that I hope to use a great deal. I can't find many pictures of these glass roofs. Do you guys think it would be a mistake to get a car with this option?

Also this car with the glass roof has the full LED headlamps, which look a bit strange in relation to the retro touches.

There is possibly another car at a different dealer without this option, but it does not have plaid seats, which I like for this edition. There is a chance this other car is not available now as well. Any thoughts are appreciated. Also, If by chance anyone has any pictures of this option on the 50th I would love to see them. Thank you.

Last edited by Ceepe; 03-02-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is almost funny. I ordered mine with the glass roof and LED lights as must have options. I ordered the full leather because I don't like plaid. (Plus mine is PDK). We are the yin and the yang. In any case there are pictures of mine showing the roof if you search the 50th anniversary threads. I love the glass sunroof but I'm sure it adds weight. If you think you will notice that on the track than you are one hell of a driver. If you are worried it will hurt you on the track if you crash then don't track the car or get the metal sunroof.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:08 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

I have few "must haves" in a car, and one which always comes along is a sunroof and if possible in glass. I wish the 993's sunroof was glass.

If you think you will resell at some point the option might be worth more, just guessing though.

As Bacura stated, if you notice the extra few pounds on a track you're probably buying the wrong car anyway.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Spyder_Steph
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't like the look and if you are concerned about safety during tracking - stay away from it. Follow your instincts.

Hope we see you soon with a 50th.

Steph
Old 03-02-2014, 01:48 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

How much more does it weigh than a regular sunroof, or no sunroof at all?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Sask997
Advanced

Glad to see you join the 911-50 club. I went through similar thoughts before ordering my car. I will try to address your questions as best as I can:

1. Sunroof:

I preferred the metal roof both for safety reason as well as for the looks. I am attaching a link to a car displayed at the Los Angeles auto show which appear similar to the specifications of your car. You can see how the black sunroof looks compared to the medium gray paint.

There are a number of investigations mostly for other vehicle brands regarding sunroof safety. However, I have not yet seen any recalls. There are very large number of cars offered with glass sunroofs so I suspect it is relatively safe.

A sunroof is a heavy item. It is heavier still in glass. However, I doubt it will make sufficient difference in your car for you to notice it.

A glass sunroof is more complex and may have more rattles/creeks over time.

2. LED headlights:

I believe they look quite nice and do not detract from the overall look of the 50th anniversary car. I chose not to have them installed because, like you, I wanted a more retro looking car. They are also more complex and use some sort of GPS guidance to determine the shape of the light pattern. They also use a camera attached to the rear view mirror to determine the right focus.

I wanted to keep this car for a long time and therefore hope to minimize the complexity. This was my main reason for not using these lights.

Over the next five years, it may be possible to purchase a simpler form of LED lighting for this car. In addition, laser lights are around the corner and maybe even better.

3. Cloth interior:

I quite like the cloth/leather interior. It is unique to this car and will probably be cooler in the summer and the seat warmers will likely work better in the winter.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bacura
This is almost funny. I ordered mine with the glass roof and LED lights as must have options. I ordered the full leather because I don't like plaid. (Plus mine is PDK). We are the yin and the yang. In any case there are pictures of mine showing the roof if you search the 50th anniversary threads. I love the glass sunroof but I'm sure it adds weight. If you think you will notice that on the track than you are one hell of a driver. If you are worried it will hurt you on the track if you crash then don't track the car or get the metal sunroof.
Funny. We all have different likes and needs. Your car looks amazing. It's hard to see the roof in the lighting of the pics I saw, but what I could see looks great. It might look even better with the contrast of the painted black sections. My gut would be to get one without a sunroof, or the regular sunroof, but maybe it is not the deal breaker I first thought. Is the very front of the roof also glass?
I agree, I don't think I would feel the weight on the track or otherwise. I guess I was just slightly concerned about safety and possible restrictions with the roof, some events seem not to allow convertibles and someone mentioned that glass roofs can be included in that? Maybe more for a Targa?
I think it is less of an issue than I thought. I guess I was just caught off guard that I had not realized the car I reserved had this option. It was an unspoken for existing order.

Last edited by Ceepe; 03-02-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sask997
Glad to see you join the 911-50 club. I went through similar thoughts before ordering my car. I will try to address your questions as best as I can:

1. Sunroof:

I preferred the metal roof both for safety reason as well as for the looks. I am attaching a link to a car displayed at the Los Angeles auto show which appear similar to the specifications of your car. You can see how the black sunroof looks compared to the medium gray paint.

There are a number of investigations mostly for other vehicle brands regarding sunroof safety. However, I have not yet seen any recalls. There are very large number of cars offered with glass sunroofs so I suspect it is relatively safe.

A sunroof is a heavy item. It is heavier still in glass. However, I doubt it will make sufficient difference in your car for you to notice it.

A glass sunroof is more complex and may have more rattles/creeks over time.

2014 Porsche 911 50th Anniversary Edition - Exterior, Interior Walkaround - 2013 LA Auto Show - YouTube

2. LED headlights:

I believe they look quite nice and do not detract from the overall look of the 50th anniversary car. I chose not to have them installed because, like you, I wanted a more retro looking car. They are also more complex and use some sort of GPS guidance to determine the shape of the light pattern. They also use a camera attached to the rear view mirror to determine the right focus.

I wanted to keep this car for a long time and therefore hope to minimize the complexity. This was my main reason for not using these lights.

Over the next five years, it may be possible to purchase a simpler form of LED lighting for this car. In addition, laser lights are around the corner and maybe even better.

3. Cloth interior:

I quite like the cloth/leather interior. It is unique to this car and will probably be cooler in the summer and the seat warmers will likely work better in the winter.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your feedback and for posting the video. This is all very helpful. The glass roof is much more modest than I thought, relating to the inside view of the size. In some of the pics I could find, it looked huge, like it was the entire roof of the car, but I guess it pretty much is on the exterior? After looking at it more I don't think it is a big deal at all. I have opened up to the look of the black as well. My OP was in semi shock that there are two different roofs, had not realized that when deciding on the car.
I did not know of the complexity of the LED lights either. That is quite interesting.
Ideally I would tweak this order some, but this is a car with a 2-3 week ETA. I'm not sure I will have a shot at another car, and I have really gotten into the idea of this car. Less about the limited production and more about having a widebody with 430 HP and a manual gearbox. The car just feels right to me. I would like to use it a bunch and enjoy it for many years.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Last edited by Ceepe; 03-02-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I would love the glass roof - lets in a little more light. I wouldn't worry too much at all about its safety when tracking. If I'm sliding on the roof, i'm sure the glass bouncing off my helmet will be the least of my worries.

There is a lightly driven one out here with no sunroof, 7 spd manual, and the houndstooth seats - 450 miles. Maybe that's an option?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/ctd/4354048010.html

Sure wish it was in my budget. haha. The 911/50 is an awesome car.

One day the car will be sold, and the links will be broken, but to the future reader, trust me. It's a great looking car, and was relevant to the thread at the time.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting the link. I appreciate it. I'm thinking I am going to stick with the car I have reserved.

Last edited by Ceepe; 03-02-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:11 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the look of the glass sunroof and also enjoy the tinted light it allows into the cabin.

If you're going strictly for performance, then delete the sunroof altogether and go for the ceramic brakes; the weight you save with the brakes is "rotational mass", which can really add up when you use the rotational-mass formula. Saving twenty pounds of rotational weight is like saving 120 pounds of static weight according to the 6:1 formula.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrerapete
I love the look of the glass sunroof and also enjoy the tinted light it allows into the cabin.

If you're going strictly for performance, then delete the sunroof altogether and go for the ceramic brakes; the weight you save with the brakes is "rotational mass", which can really add up when you use the rotational-mass formula. Saving twenty pounds of rotational weight is like saving 120 pounds of static weight according to the 6:1 formula.
That is probably more how I would order the car, but this is an existing unclaimed order arriving in two to three weeks. Are new orders still being placed?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,095 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
That is probably more how I would order the car, but this is an existing unclaimed order arriving in two to three weeks. Are new orders still being placed?
It's still on the Configurator:
http://cc.porsche.com/icc_pcna/ccCal...delrange%3d911
Maybe you can get the last one made
Old 03-03-2014, 11:37 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

personally i think the glass roof looks stellar when its a contrasting color to the exterior paint
Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm getting more and more into it. My original post was in slight panic due to not having realized there was a difference of roofs, glass, paint, etc. I'm into it now. I'm also liking the LED lights more now, which at first seemed out of character to me.

At this point I think the only thing I'm not a fan of is the box-like sat radio antenna. I definitely think I like the rear better without that nub, but so be it. Getting really excited!

Quick Reply: Hello all. First time buyer with a question about glass roofs