Sponsored by:

Money2536's White 991 C2S Journal

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Jonatan
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing the video!

btw, did you removed the rear fender protectors? My 991 is white too and they have a yellow-ish tone that doesn't look good at all!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:24 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Great video Matt. I have a white C4 and did remove the rear fender protectors as they were yellowing. I bought these magnetic ones.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonatan
Thanks for sharing the video!

btw, did you removed the rear fender protectors? My 991 is white too and they have a yellow-ish tone that doesn't look good at all!
I didn't remove mine. I managed thus far to keep them relatively white. I guess we'll see how long that lasts. I made sure to tape them off when polishing, but I did top them with wax. Maybe that's helping a bit.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

Matt thanks your very thoughtful response and for always responding!!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Default M4 vs. C2S

I decided to take a quick trip to the BMW dealership to check out the new F82 M4. I wasn't going to go see one in person until I picked my F80 M3 up, but I couldn't resist the temptation. I purposely didn't ask to drive it. I want my first experience behind the wheel to be on my Performance Center Delivery/M School week. It doesn't really matter how much I like the car since I already bought it.

I don't have much of a review since I didn't drive it, but I do have a few observations.

1.) This car had a sunroof. I don't do sunroofs. I'm sorry this may offend: if you get a sunroof on this car, guys like me are going to think less of you. But since you got a sunroof, I'm sure you don't care.

2.) This car had DCT. This was the other reason I didn't want to drive this car other than spoiling the future surprise. I know I wouldn't like it with DCT. I don't know how you guys can stand pulling the very weak feeling plastic paddles? I'm guessing an aftermarket manufacturer will come out with something billet aluminum that may be more acceptable to me. Those OEM paddles feel/look like crap.

3.) Much like an M5 the M4 looks much better in person than in photos. It looks a lot more like the previous generation than I thought. That being said, if the M3 didn't exist, I'm not sure I like the M4 enough. From certain angles it looks odd to me. For example, the trunk looks great from the side profile, but from 3/4 or rear view it looks weird.

4.) This car didn't have full leather. I get what others are saying about full leather being a must. I don't completely share that opinion, but I get it. The only area that I thought looked a little cheap are the bottom area of the doors. Since the doors on the coupe are so much bigger than the sedan, there is a rather large area of plastic that looks a little Honda Accord like. Other than that, the dash without leather looks like every other dash on previous generations. It looks fine.

5.) Dare I say this, my C2S looks a little dated in comparison. In my opinion, the aggressive lines of the M4 make the simpler, softer profile of the C2S look a little old. I'm not saying I don't love the look of the C2S, but the M4 looks very aggressive. I wish I took better comparison photos.

6.) Look at my rear calipers versus the size of the front on the M4. All I can say is that I'm glad I paid the extra for the CCBs. Sorry...

I was too enamored at looking at the M4 to actually think through getting some decent photos, so I just snapped a few crappy photos next to the C2S. Now looking at the photos, I wish I had moved the cars to a better spot to get some better comparisons. Oh well, I'm sure I'll have hundreds of photos in the future of the cars together when mine shows up.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:24 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

It looks ok but definitely not a head turner. That's alright though, as it's more of a Q Ship or whatever I suppose. The 911, especially when next to it, looks dramatically better. I'm sure the M is fun to drive.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:29 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Money2536

1.) This car had a sunroof. I don't do sunroofs. I'm sorry this may offend: if you get a sunroof on this car, guys like me are going to think less of you. But since you got a sunroof, I'm sure you don't care.
ok, dick..

jk, i don't really care but truthfully, i'm going to put this out there and say that i definitely do not like having it. its the only thing i regret getting (that and the leather seat belt outlets...what a waste of fn money)
Old 07-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536

5.) Dare I say this, my C2S looks a little dated in comparison. In my opinion, the aggressive lines of the M4 make the simpler, softer profile of the C2S look a little old. I'm not saying I don't love the look of the C2S, but the M4 looks very aggressive.
Of course taste is not quantifiable and therefore subject to individual interpration. I prefer the refined lines of 911 to the jagged lines of M4 - there is just too many broken surfaces and lines. For me German design is all about Bauhaus - everything has to have a function.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Of course taste is not quantifiable and therefore subject to individual interpration. I prefer the refined lines of 911 to the jagged lines of M4 - there is just too many broken surfaces and lines. For me German design is all about Bauhaus - everything has to have a function.
i would argue the use of the term "familiar" in lieu of "simple". try shading the curves from a 911. its beautiful in its seeming simplicity. i feel like i should be writing her a poem...my only gripe about the M3/4 is this part here. i understand it may be for aerodynamics but it looks too busy. the rest of the car is pretty top notch
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2014, 12:47 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

I have the same issue with sunroofs, but also for people who buy the M3 sedans vs the M4 coupe. Or those who pay 5K for in car stereos. To each his own, we all have opinions :-) Enjoy
Old 07-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

I think the M3 looks much better than the M4.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

Matt, I test drove an M3 coupe in Saturday. FWIW here are my quick observations.

Given the step nature of the power curve via the turbo six, I think (and I know this is sacrilegious) getting a manual will be much more satisfying. The car I drove had DCT. With DCT under hard acceleration you could feel the LSD kick in while "manually" going through the paddles.

The car even in comfort mode is very firmly tuned - this one had the 19 inch rims.

The brakes were OK, 9k is a lot to spend on the CCB but - pardon the pun, Money, well spent.

Great driving position, super seats (even the back I'm 6'2" 205 and fit comfortably back there), easy ingress and egress, excellent visibility and doors close with like Woton slammed them shut himself. Easy switches and programmable M sport buttons. Porsche should just buy BMW's steering - they nailed it.

I think someone wanting a really deep guttural exhaust might go after market - it's just the nature of the beast, I had the same feeling coming from a Ghibli (also turbo 6).

As to the sunroof, I love the glass feature on my 991 and that's why I got a coupe instead if another cab, but in the M3 I wouldn't do it as your seating position visa ve the front windshield and the arc and height of the front windshield are bringing enough light and perspective into the cabin (not to mention the significant weight savings - sales person thought it was at least 150 lbs.).

I think you're gonna like the way you ordered it , enjoy it and be sure to post lots 'O pictures!!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Matt, I test drove an M3 coupe in Saturday. FWIW here are my quick observations.

Given the step nature of the power curve via the turbo six, I think (and I know this is sacrilegious) getting a manual will be much more satisfying. The car I drove had DCT. With DCT under hard acceleration you could feel the LSD kick in while "manually" going through the paddles.

The car even in comfort mode is very firmly tuned - this one had the 19 inch rims.

The brakes were OK, 9k is a lot to spend on the CCB but - pardon the pun, Money, well spent.

Great driving position, super seats (even the back I'm 6'2" 205 and fit comfortably back there), easy ingress and egress, excellent visibility and doors close with like Woton slammed them shut himself. Easy switches and programmable M sport buttons. Porsche should just buy BMW's steering - they nailed it.

I think someone wanting a really deep guttural exhaust might go after market - it's just the nature of the beast, I had the same feeling coming from a Ghibli (also turbo 6).

As to the sunroof, I love the glass feature on my 991 and that's why I got a coupe instead if another cab, but in the M3 I wouldn't do it as your seating position visa ve the front windshield and the arc and height of the front windshield are bringing enough light and perspective into the cabin (not to mention the significant weight savings - sales person thought it was at least 150 lbs.).

I think you're gonna like the way you ordered it , enjoy it and be sure to post lots 'O pictures!!
Thanks man! It's taken a lot for me to not go and drive one. I figure I'm stuck with it, since it landed in the U.S. today. I don't want to ruin the surprise. I was a little harsh about my sunroof comments. I meant it more specifically about the M3 with the carbon fiber roof. I don't mind one on other cars, just not the M3/M4.

I'm very much looking forward to the daily choice of which car to drive to work. I need to record my expression on the mornings that I walk into the garage with the S4 key in my pocket.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Duke I
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Money, I have been looking at the cover king satin stretch covers but the website shows nothing available for 2014/15 cars. Did you order the 2013 cover? Should fit fine don't you think? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke I
Money, I have been looking at the cover king satin stretch covers but the website shows nothing available for 2014/15 cars. Did you order the 2013 cover? Should fit fine don't you think? Thanks.
Make sure you call them to specify that you have a 991 not a 997. They give discounts when you call them. The "991" 2012 or 2013 is the same cover. I'd also ask if you can get it without the license plate cutout. I hate the cutout.

Quick Reply: Money2536's White 991 C2S Journal