Money2536's White 991 C2S Journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:57 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carcapsule .............. so modest!!!

Thanks

My Tesla S has a really nice cover that is factory............ nice flap for the charger......................
Old 02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by mb97tts
carcapsule .............. so modest!!!

Thanks

My Tesla S has a really nice cover that is factory............ nice flap for the charger......................
I'm sure the car capsule would look just swell in your front yard. Just make sure it is on the grass and blocks the front door.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Default Child Seat in Back of 991 911

I bought this Recaro ProBooster so my little guy can go to car meets and other cool stuff with me. He just turned 3 but is about 45 lbs., so I think a booster is just fine for him. I really like this seat. It is super light, so it's easy to get in and out of the car. The seat belt gets a little twisted, but it isn't hard to manipulate it the way you want using the built in guides. I had the back set at its lowest setting, but there was plenty of head room to move it up. I also like how all of the edges of the seat are finished and rounded. Many of the top rated seats have hollow, sharp edges that cut into the seat. At $79 I thinks its the cheapest thing in the car. My key chain cost more.

http://www.amazon.com/RECARO-ProBOOSTER-High-Booster-Misty/dp/B003JUL84U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393033757&sr=8-2&keywords=recaro+probooster http://www.amazon.com/RECARO-ProBOOSTER-High-Booster-Misty/dp/B003JUL84U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393033757&sr=8-2&keywords=recaro+probooster

I also bought the same seat protector that I have in my other cars from Prince Lionheart. It's too big for the car but will do a good job ensuring I don't get any creases or marks in the leather. It also helps keep the booster from sliding around. There may be other that fit better, but I think this one is fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-Stage-Seatsaver-Black/dp/B000083GHY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393033888&sr=8-2&keywords=prince+lionheart http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-Stage-Seatsaver-Black/dp/B000083GHY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393033888&sr=8-2&keywords=prince+lionheart

Sorry for the lackluster photos. I don't often use a flash and don't have a wide-angle lens. I was shooting with a 50mm, so it was hard to get the proper angles. I think you get the idea.

It's obviously a little big, but you don't notice when the booster is on top. I kind of line how it wrap around the seat to protect the sides and center leather.

Sorry I was watching Dexter.

Notice the nice rounded edges.

A little deceiving, but still plenty of headroom.

I was getting angry because the seat-belt wasn't routing through the guide. Then I realized I was trying to route the passenger's seat-belt from the front.

Little man approved!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:04 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 386 Likes on 165 Posts

Awesome car and awesome story.

Congrats you've worked hard and earned the car; I too feel the same way about how people perceive my ownership of a Porsche. My daughter who is 3-years old also loves riding in Daddy's Car!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Default My Car Washing Procedure Part 1

I don't have much going on this weekend. All I had was Open WOD 11.2 this morning (fellow Crossfitters will get that one), so I decided to chronicle my slightly **** car washing procedure. Oh, and I suckered my wife into taking most of the photos as I was having trouble keeping the camera from getting wet.

I've taken some professional detailing seminars/classes, spent thousands on trying different products, and frequent several detailing forums. This is my current step-by-step and specific products I use. I will only do my own cars. No one would pay me the hourly rate I would have to charge, so I don't mess with other cars. Heck, I don't even wash my wife's Explorer Sport. Dare I say it's a lease, and I send her to the car wash.

I'm already off to a bad start. I've put 650 miles on my 911 in two weeks of ownership and have washed it six times! That of course was after a 26 hour new car paint correction/detail. I think my wife finally get it though, so I think I'm safe.

Products
You can certainly Google the name of all of this stuff, but I buy most everything from Detailer's Domain. Just make a reply or shoot me a PM if there is anything you can't find.

Grit Guard Dual Bucket System
Adam's Car Shampoo
Adam's Large Wash Pad
Kranzle 1122TST Electric Pressure Washer
Eley Quick Connection for the hose bib
Gillmour Quick Connection for pressure wash inlet
Pressure washer direct quick connects for Kranzle wand/foam cannon
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
Adam's All Purpose Cleaner
Adam's bottle filling funnel
Griot's Finest Sprayer Bottles
MTM Foam Cannon
Eley Rapid Reel hose reel
Adam's 3/4" Goodyear Kink-free hose
Eley Pistol Grip Spray Nozzle
Adam's Firehose Spray Nozzle
Adam's shut-off valve
Largest Wheel Whoolie
Griot's Tire Scrubbing Brush
Lake Country Lambskin Mitt
EZ Detail Brush
Daytona large detail brush
Swissvax Wheel detail brush
Stihl BG55 leaf blower
Craftsman rolling seat
Adam's, Uber, Griot's microfiber towels
Hydes Rustopper
Autogeek Grit Guard Bucket for wheel brushes

I think that is it. Obviously there are other products I use for an actual detail. This is just for a wash.

The Process

I raid the microfiber vault. I usually grab the white Adam's waffle for drying with Adam's detail spray, yellow Griot's for door jams, wheels, final clean-up, blue Uber Ultimate for final touch-ups.

Pull Out Buckets

In my opinion, Adam's Shampoo is the absolute best. It's PH Balanced, so it won't harm the paint if it dries on it. Also, it foams like crazy.

Running low.

Kranzle Pressure washers are super expensive, but this thing is build like a tank. It's no good for washing a deck or house, but it is perfect for my car. It's pretty quiet, so I don't wake the neighbors when I'm out washing a 6 AM.

Quick connects are a must. I never leave my pressure washer out, so I don't want to spend all day getting out and breaking down my system.

This bad boy is going to shock some of you. I think I have about $500 into this combo. The hose alone will scare off most. Since I use it so often I searched far and wide for the best hose and the best reel. Check out Rapid Reel by Eley. You will have it for the rest of you life.

I keep my brushed in a knock-off Grit Guard bucket. It keeps them from getting moldy. The guard at the bottom acts like a natural separator.

I love this thing. It's also built like a tank.

Griot's bottles filled with other stuff. I'm sorry Richard. Sonax for the wheels and Adam's APC for the tires.

This is probably my favorite car washing device, MTM Foam Cannon. I basically bought the pressure washer just for this. You'll see it's awesomeness in a minute. Quick connect is a must. I usually fill it up before getting all wet. Add about 2-4 ounces of soap and fill slowly with water to avoid bubbling up. There is some water at the bottom in the photo. That would be too much soap.

I always add soap to the pad. It help create more suds when you fill the bucket. It also helps you avoid spraying half you soap out of the bucket accidentally with too much water pressure.

I have my wheels Opti-Coated, so 90% of the brake dust comes off. I then hit with Sonax and move on to spray off the next wheel. By the time I get back around to the first wheel, the Sonax is turning purple. This means it's time to agitate and rinse. After the wheel is clean, I usually hit the wheel wells quickly. Then, I'll spray the tires with Adam's APC, brush a bit, and spray off. Repeat on each wheel. The Sonax will look more impressive if your wheel is really dirty. You can see the beading from the Opti-Coat.

Dirty wheel (not too bad opti-coat...)

Handy seat.

I also hit the exhaust with Sonax Full Effect.

Wheel Whoolie

Swissvax Brush

Last edited by Money2536; 10-30-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Default My Car Washing Procedure Part 2

Clean-up the calipers.

EZ Detail Brush on the fender liners.

Lake Country Lambskin Mitt. My favorite wheel cleaning tool.

Spray it off with Pistol Hose Nozzle. I keep that nozzle on as it's easy to operate with one had. I don't use a bucket for the wheels. I just spray off the various tools every-so-often.

Griot's Wheel Brush

Daytona Speed Brush for exhaust.

Rear wheels at another angle. This is where I negotiated to get the wife to help out. She get's to go out to dinner with her friends tonight. I'm sure I'll end up paying.

Adam's shut-off valve with Gillmour brass quick connect

After doing wheels, I switch over to the Adam's Firehose nozzle. There really isn't any need to do this, but I spent $65 on it, so I have to use for something.

Rinse bucket/soap bucket

Pressure wash dirt off the car.

Foam time! The foam falls off the car pretty quickly due to the Sonax Polymer Net Shield on the paint and Wolf's Glass Nano Sealant on the glass. That's the hope is that most of the dirt is off the car before touching it.

I swear to you I train my legs twice as much as upper body...sigh. It's genetics.

Gentile wash. This takes two minutes as the car is already pretty clean.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:33 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Money.

Love the big picture threads you post. Cheers to your wife for holding the camera.

I'm just going to have to move from the coast so I can get into a house whereas the inside of it is half as nice as your garage. Living on the beach in Los Angeles in a tiny house and miniature 2 car garage that's 15 times more expensive than my C2S is really dragging on me. Hey, at least we have the weather year round.

Love the quick release and hose reel. You're correct. If you haven't owned a decent one you will never know!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Default My Car Washing Procedure Part 3

I'm clearly confused with that ///M hat on.

Maybe I can sell my 911 to get calf-implants.

I always wash the buckets with the soap on the car. I know that sounds stupid, but I'd rather have soapy water dry on the paint than plain water. Adam's soap will wash right off if dry due to its PH balance. Another plus is that I don't accidentally spray water on a completed car.

Power rinse the car.

Water sheeting method. This makes it easier to blow off the car. Just control the water flow by kinking the hose and make a solid sheet of water to take most of the excess of the car. Man does Sonax Polymer Net Shield bead water. Water almost shoots off the paint.

By the way, this is all done in the shade. I have an awesome car washing spot right in front of my main entrance.

This stuff works really well. Spray the rotors to prevent rusting over. I spray it on just before blowing off the car to ensure not of it sits on the wheels.

I bought and sold a master blaster and have stuck with my trusty Stihl leaf blower. I don't have to worry about running extension cords all over the place.

The car is now 99% dry, and I have touched it yet. I now finish drying it by spraying Adam's detail spray on the paint and windows a couple of panels at a time. Then gentile wipe with Adam's Great White towel. If you've followed the previous steps, you shouldn't have to worry about scratching your paint. Just don't do any crazy aggressive wiping.

Detail spray the wheels and wipe any excess water with Griot's towels. These towels only get used on wheels, tires, and door jams.

Get rid of that nasty silicone based crap. Adam's super VRT is a nice matte finish for your tires. Shinny tires are a no go in my book. That went out with Chrome in the 80s.

These are foam blocks from Adam's. I buy a dozen at a time. I just flip every couple of application and then throw away.

Clean up and dry off all of the jams. This take five minutes if you do it every time.

When I met my wife she had a 2003 Honda Accord EX Coupe. A nice car for a 23 year-old. Well near the gas cap there were a ton of scratches. I came to realize was from her leaving the cap flopping on the safety cable used to keep the cap attached. The first mod I do on every car is to cut that cable off.

Done!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:17 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Just going by your photo's it seems you're missing the boat on sheeting. Done correctly there will be virtually zero water drops left and you can skip the blower. Most likely your problem is the kink in the hose. I tried this once and quit long ago because it messes up the flow, which must be turbulence free and smooth right out of the hose and across the car. If it comes jetting out like yours is then it squirts off in all directions and you're left with nearly as much water on the car as before you started. Which is what your photo's show. A nice big fat smooth gentle flow is what you want.

If you can get to where you're doing it right it would be great to post some photo's so people can see just how effective this is at getting all the water off the car without wasting time, money and electricity on a blower.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuck911
Just going by your photo's it seems you're missing the boat on sheeting. Done correctly there will be virtually zero water drops left and you can skip the blower. Most likely your problem is the kink in the hose. I tried this once and quit long ago because it messes up the flow, which must be turbulence free and smooth right out of the hose and across the car. If it comes jetting out like yours is then it squirts off in all directions and you're left with nearly as much water on the car as before you started. Which is what your photo's show. A nice big fat smooth gentle flow is what you want.

If you can get to where you're doing it right it would be great to post some photo's so people can see just how effective this is at getting all the water off the car without wasting time, money and electricity on a blower.
Sheeting doesn't do anything to get the water out of the door handles, lights, etc. I just run a few sheets of water over the car to help make larger pools of water. The blower takes care of the rest.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:03 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Yes, you still need to wipe a few places. Same as you're doing now even after using the blower.
But really, in like 2 years I've seen people mention sheeting but nobody I've seen has posted photo's. Then you post photo's which, unfortunately, are not sheeting. Even though that's what you call it. I just figured a guy putting this much time and energy into it would be interested in learning how to do it right. My bad.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for exposure and response prevention OCD therapy

Old 02-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Money2536
Race Car

This is sheeting.

If I'm wrong, why don't you show us how it's done?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by Zohan
Time for exposure and response prevention OCD therapy

This picture is very representative why I ran to FL at 22.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:57 PM
chuck911
Race Car

I've just spent quite a while searching and am quite surprised there are no good videos of this anywhere to be found. Adam's has one of the worst, Griot's has nothing, and while the blue one you posted does show sheeting it is a very poor example of good sheet rinse technique. What I mean by that is yes water does sheet off the car but he's doing it to demonstrate his great finish and in most cases if people do it like that they'll leave a ton of water on the car. Maybe not as much as in the photo you label "this is sheeting" (which no, it isn't) but still a lot compared to what is possible.

In your case anyway I'm afraid I can't see how it matters. The sheet rinse is not just some step to be followed by rote but rather is done for a particular reason, to reduce toweling. If you're going to blast the car with a blower anyway then there really is no point to it. You are just wasting water for no good reason. (And even after that you're hitting the car with a towel again.)

The other reason to sheet rinse, besides reducing toweling, is to reduce the risk of water spots. With the right technique its possible to sheet rinse each area of the car immediately after washing. Wash the next area, sheet rinse. This is what I do even though I live in the great northwet where the water is fine. Its just a pleasant way to do it, and saves time, effort and water as a bonus.

But no, sorry, I have no videos commemorating my amazing and borderline divine way with water. My wife isn't into it and I haven't heard back from Redford if he's interested in shooting The Porsh Wisperer with me.

Quick Reply: Money2536's White 991 C2S Journal