Sponsored by:

Cig lighter outlet switched?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
i wired my RD in to the garage opener /light panel this way no long wire to run. it stays live all the time but i set my RD (passport max) to turn it self off after 1 hr.
Originally Posted by Zmoney3982
Hard wire that detector in there. Problem solved
Originally Posted by eg991
+1. Had mine hardwired to the fuse box in the passenger footwell with a wire inside the A pillar that snakes out right by my passenger sun visor and plugs into my Passport 9500 which is mounted with a visor clip to the passenger visor. Starts up every time I start the engine, and shuts off as soon as I turn the car off and open the door to exit.
So for those of you who hardwire it, how do you control the muting function? I'm pressing mute quite a bit when driving locally due to false alarms, even with the GPS learning function. Do you just reach up to the windshield all the time?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know info. I had not considered it before..

Be safe
Patty
Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hard wire

I had mine hardwired in by the dealer. Nothing inside the car except a green/red light by the fuel gauge on the left and the display to the right where a non-Porsche car ignition would be located. No wires, very clean and easy to monitor/use.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 AM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gcracker07110
Go to the good to know app and search electrical system and you will see a diagram illustrating the position of the outlet in the passenger footwell
Excellent! Thank you!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:55 AM
barihunk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
So wait, lots of ppl have said the footwell outlet is where you should hook up a charger, but now ppl are saying its off after 30 mins. For a standard 991 (no smoking packagge) where do you connect the "factory" (for lack of a betetr term) "Porsche" charger to?
AFAIK both the footwell and console ones are switched, but somehow I have been able to use a charger on the footwell one without issue. However I do not leave the charger for more than a couple of hours so I cannot say if it will keep staying live.

I think there was some claim that the extra socket from the smoking package is unswitched.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the extra socket from the Smoking package is unswitched.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
So for those of you who hardwire it, how do you control the muting function? I'm pressing mute quite a bit when driving locally due to false alarms, even with the GPS learning function. Do you just reach up to the windshield all the time?
u should look at Passport max it gives you minimal false alarms and after 3 passes it learns false alarms, stores gps locations and they dont pupup at all. u can also mute it the on the RD or on the plug

http://reviews.cnet.com/radar-detect...35833098.html#!

Quick Reply: Cig lighter outlet switched?