Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy? (X-Post from the Cayman forum)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:08 AM
DvidzBlk991
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iiAtlas
Hi all, first time poster and (soon to be) first time porsche owner here!

I'm looking at buying a car which I'll keep forever. I've loved porsches forever and now finally have the chance to own one. I fell in love with the 2014 (981) Cayman S, and went to my local the dealer to make a factory order (here's my porsche build code). Final price came to a whopping $93,920...

I was and still am okay paying this price, but I started to think "should I really be looking at 911's?" The car will be a weekend driver for me, and I just want it to put a smile on my face every time I step in it. Luckily, I know both cars will.

I looked around the dealership and found many well equiped 2013/2014 (991) Carrera S's and Carrera 4S's in the $120k - $130k range. In your opinion, should I bite the bullet and "upgrade" to a C4S? This is the one I had in mind.

Let me know what you guys think!
$93k for a Cayman is an exorbitant amount of money to pay. You can pay $75K or so and still get the same smile...especially if you planning on using it as a weekend driver.
I hope your not going to lease it...MRM on a Cayman S is at around$74k. Therefore, that means that the other $20k you have to finance all of it, not just the residualed amount. This will greatly inflate your monthly payment. But beyond that, there is really no reason why you would want to pay more than $75-$80k on a Cayman S IMO. If your gonna spend $93k on a Porsche, get a 911 Base with a few options. It will be slightly faster, have a back seat, and less claustrophobic /better visibility inside IMO. The residual on the 911 Base is much better than the Cayman S,,something like 73% to 63%...so the payment on the 911 at the same $93k is actually cheaper than the Cayman S at $93k if you lease. If your purchasing your car, you will never get back the estimated $30k of options when you go to trade the car back in...You also mentioned Carrera S and Carrera 4S,,Payments on these cars will be much higher than the cayman. Alot of money for just a weekend car so......Think carefully before pulling the trigger.......
Old 02-23-2014, 01:35 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 987
Another option worth considering, if this car is a keeper. Get a Cayman S and have BGB Motorsports install the 400hp 991S engine in the car. Apparently, works very well and will give you the best of both worlds for a reasonable price.
Works even better if you get a base 981 instead of an S. No reason to pay the bigger engine premium only to replace it with a 3.8L. Total cost should come under $85k, I think.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:14 PM
unluckydrawer
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Were you comparing the 991 to a 987, or to a 981? I've never been in either Cayman so I don't know how much they changed. The 981 Boxster is said to be quieter than the 981 Cayman, interestingly enough. No complaints with mine in that department.

When I sat down in the 991 and compared it to the 981, I honestly couldn't tell you what car I was sitting in without counting the gauges or the back seats. Fit and finish are absolutely equivalent. If anything there are fewer complaints about squeaks and rattles in the 981s.

I have a 991 C2 and I got my GF a 981. I agree the fit and finish is the same. The 991 is noticeably roomier, however.

That said, it really raises eyebrows how excessively Porsche is charging for the 991.

You can read more about my 981 experience here - http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/b...xperience.html

Quick Reply: $93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy? (X-Post from the Cayman forum)