Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy? (X-Post from the Cayman forum)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by iiAtlas
$93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy?
Yes. Get a $65-70k CPO or lightly optioned new one with Sport Suspension and not much more. Or wait for the $75k 2015 Cayman GTS (also 981) which should be available soon.

I'm looking at buying a car which I'll keep forever.
Avoid using 'never' and 'forever'.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
What set the 991 apart for me was refinement. It was noticeably quieter and more relaxed and comfortable. Airy cabin was refreshing after 4 years in a Cayman. Push a few buttons and you can change all that but it's nice to have the option. With the 991 I can enjoy the radio again! Of course the power is a plus as well!
Interesting. Do you still feel as if you can "turn it up" and dash around with a roaring engine and all around beautiful car? This is what I would hope for in my 911, does it ever feel too subdued for you?

Originally Posted by mi650
Buy once, cry once. If you think you might fell like you 'settled' for the Cayman, don't do it.

I knew I wanted a C4S, but decided I didn't want to wait and order what I really wanted in the car. I knew I was settling when I bought the C2S, and will be ordering a C4S in about 2 years.
Yeah this is what I'm really trying to work out, because I know if I don't make the right choice I'll really struggle with it for years to come. Interesting you had such issues with the C2S in comparison to the C4S, I was under the impression that they were pretty similar beasts despite the better handling/all year capabilities of the 4S.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
As a kid I also dreamed of owning a 911 and that dream persisted until the 996 series. I wanted the 911 for it's looks, handling and focused experience. When the 996 was introduced I lost interest and really didn't take interest again until the 997 GT Series were introduced since they were closer to the original 911 with a less is more approach. But I do feel like the 911 has grown too large.

The Cayman and Boxster are more similarly sized to the old 911 and have similar weights. The power of the Cayman and Boxster are much higher than the older 911's so realistically they are a better version of the old 911, more modern, better handling, nicer interiors and more power.

If I didn't have the Spyder the Cayman would be #1 on my list. I would order with the sport suspension, upgraded sound, some leather options and not too much additional to keep it simple and focused.
Simple and focused, thats another thing I'm worried about. For $93k I'm essentially adding all the luxuries of a Carrera to a Cayman - is that a nonsense thing to do?

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes. Get a $65-70k CPO or lightly optioned new one with Sport Suspension and not much more. Or wait for the $75k 2015 Cayman GTS (also 981) which should be available soon.

Haha you are absolutely right on the 'never' and 'forever' front, they're terrible words!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting. Do you still feel as if you can "turn it up" and dash around with a roaring engine and all around beautiful car? This is what I would hope for in my 911, does it ever feel too subdued for you?
Absolutely you can have loads of fun in the car. Push Sports Plus, listen to the PSE and crack off effortless shifts. You feel like Sebastian Vettel. You will turn heads, guaranteed!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a tough decision. I thought I was going to get a cayman to go with my 1m coupe. They are great cars, when I was at the Silverstone experience centre on the small track there the instructors were really driving the 981s hard, I was barely keeping up in a 991s although 1st time on a track in one for me. I saw the 50th anniversary 991s and loved it. I had a 997 for a long time and yes the 991 did feel larger, but now 4months on it has shrunk around me and I am very use to driving it. It takes a while to realise the depth of talent a 991 has. With pdk I find it a great commuter, but on track it is absolutely stunning. Watch the /drive video by Matt Farah recently on the 991. The cayman is a great car, but the 991 is absolutely world class and worth every penny (cent!). Go drive as many cars as you can, I know you said that you don't want used but there are some amazing cars out there where someone will have paid most of the price difference between the cayman and 991 for you, even with a car with low miles. Good luck in your choice...
Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Simple and focused, thats another thing I'm worried about. For $93k I'm essentially adding all the luxuries of a Carrera to a Cayman - is that a nonsense thing to do?
That's a good question. Are you basically matching up the options between the 911 and Cayman? My impression was that Porsche optioned there cars similarly regardless of model unless it's a special edition.

Personally I would pick the options I really want regardless of model.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:14 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Originally Posted by BradB
Absolutely you can have loads of fun in the car. Push Sports Plus, listen to the PSE and crack off effortless shifts. You feel like Sebastian Vettel. You will turn heads, guaranteed!
Glad to hear it!

Originally Posted by Mcx
It is a tough decision. I thought I was going to get a cayman to go with my 1m coupe. They are great cars, when I was at the Silverstone experience centre on the small track there the instructors were really driving the 981s hard, I was barely keeping up in a 991s although 1st time on a track in one for me. I saw the 50th anniversary 991s and loved it. I had a 997 for a long time and yes the 991 did feel larger, but now 4months on it has shrunk around me and I am very use to driving it. It takes a while to realise the depth of talent a 991 has. With pdk I find it a great commuter, but on track it is absolutely stunning. Watch the /drive video by Matt Farah recently on the 991. The cayman is a great car, but the 991 is absolutely world class and worth every penny (cent!). Go drive as many cars as you can, I know you said that you don't want used but there are some amazing cars out there where someone will have paid most of the price difference between the cayman and 991 for you, even with a car with low miles. Good luck in your choice...
I'll know better after my test drive this weekend. Hopefully I walk away with a build ready to go!

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That's a good question. Are you basically matching up the options between the 911 and Cayman? My impression was that Porsche optioned there cars similarly regardless of model unless it's a special edition.

Personally I would pick the options I really want regardless of model.
I'm picking similar options on both models, so I guess you're right - I wasn't exactly making a 981 a 991. They both have very similar options. What I meant more was that I was adding luxury items to what is really meant to be a pure sports car, and maybe that wasn't the smartest thing to do.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 PM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

I have to second this. I've owned three Cayman S cars. Two 2006s and a 2008 CS Sport. I was pretty sure I would keep that car forever. First off, it was orange...'nuff said. Sport seats, sport-chron,PSE, 6MT. I loved that car. Trouble-free 40,000 miles. Then on my birthday in December, I stopped at a local dealer and test drove a 991S. I was signing the papers for trading in my CSSas well as a 2013 S5. I realize the 981 has more development and more refined than my 987.1, but the power in the 991S is intoxicating. As others have said, test drive both.

Interestingly, I bought my 1967 GTO on my birthday, 16 years ago. That car will truly be with me forever (currently going through a frame-off restoration).
Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the best driver's car that Porsche currently offers, buy the Cayman S with MT. If you are more concerned with pedigree and prestige, buy the 991, as long as you can live with the size.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:51 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

The 981C is a great car in every way. And its a lot cheaper than a new 911.

But its just not a 911.

Its a compromise, albeit a small one, over a base 911. But I would never pay an almost 991 C2S price for a 981C. I'd get a Carerra S bone stock all day, any day (if it came to that) over a pimped out Cayman.

If you get a Cayman S, you may or may not lament not getting a 911 later…unless you pay a Carerra S price for it. I'm betting you won't be able to stop thinking that you should have gotten that instead.

I still haven't cracked the code for why everyone says the 991 is less awesome because its less rear engined than it used to be, but the 981 is vastly superior because its [pretty much] mid engined. In any case, there is no "driver's car" like a 911, and I doubt there ever will be.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Couple of things to consider, which may have been already covered as I've gleaned the thread:

1. You say this will be a "forever" car. It won't be. You'll either get the Porsche bug, and your interest within the marque will change. Or you'll find the car doesn't meet your expectations/lifestyle. Why flush tens of thousands down the drain?

2. AWD and year round driving. Most everyone ends up not using the "sports car" in foul weather. Just how it turns out.

3. Euro delivery. We did one in '99 on a BMW. Do it again? Not a chance. From having to break in the car, to fear of having the car broken into (or worse). Then again, depends on where you'll be traveling. Coupled with my point about not buying new, you can go First Class on a Euro adventure in a Rent-A-911 with what you'll save.

Put another way, say you pick up a '12 and drive it for a year. Lose even $10K in depreciation and sales tax. Effectively you're renting a car. But you'll sure know what you exactly want.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Damn Porsche marketing. If they made the Cayman S or GTS with 400 hp, 911 sales would be crushed. No doubt it's the better handling car, much more like the early 911's, more of a drivers car. But I am sucked into the heritage, the classic 911 look/lines despite it growing size (i'm guiltily of the same). The extra backseat adds a feel of openness and it's less claustrophobic. I have a couple friends who have gone from new 991's and 997's to a Cayman S because they wanted the feel of a smaller car and didn't miss the significantly lower power.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 PM
RS 987
Rennlist Member

I have driven both cars on and off track. Putting money aside, it is a difficult decision that I'll also have to face soon.
In my opinion, the Cayman S is a better down to basics driver's car with outstanding handling and compromised power.
However, the 991S and 4S was also very competent in many ways and in my opinion, looks better...but it didn't seem quite as raw and connected as the Cayman, particularly on track.

The 911 will always have more heritage and prestige. But if you're after the best possible driver's car, I would vote for the Cayman S with a few modification tweaks.

Another option worth considering, if this car is a keeper. Get a Cayman S and have BGB Motorsports install the 400hp 991S engine in the car. Apparently, works very well and will give you the best of both worlds for a reasonable price.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:11 AM
DvidzBlk991
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Listen to the boys and drive everything you can possibly be interested in purchasing. Don't feel bad for one min. at the dealership. You are the customer. Take your time and don't rush this purchase.

If this is really the Porsche purchase to end all purchases get exactly what you want. Especially if you are willing to drop $94 large on a Cayman. I picked up my 2013 Carrera S with PDK, Chrono and PSE, park sens, PDLS, glass sunroof, Classics etc. for just a tad over $100k seven months ago and it had 12 miles on it. Again, don't let anyone tell you what you want. Just decide on your own.
+1
Agreed,,,Test drive everything you can before u make a decision. Never feel even the least bit guilty for driving everything you want, and asking as many questions you want. I never even buy a car the first time i visit a dealership. Always take your time. For me, I ordered mine to get exactly what I wanted without spending huge $$$$ on Porsche's superfluous options.

BTW, Marcus, sound like you got a nice deal on your Carrera S.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 AM
CKit
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

We have a Cayman S for daily driving and a 997.2 GT3 for motorsport (that doesn't get street driven very much, honestly).

The Cayman S is a joy to drive. I don't need more in a street car.

The 991 is a great car, too. We had the same cross-shopping thoughts between the 981 and 991 that the OP has.

But for street driving, we felt that we just didn't use any of the "advantage" that the 991 would have. And I like the effortless and telepathic handling characteristics of the mid-engine layout. I also like having more tire and wheel options.

It may be a little different because we have the GT3 for motorsport, but for us we chose the 981 over the 991 for daily driving and are very happy with it. Don't get me wrong, the 991 is a great car (if they'd stop catching on fire! ) but just offering another perspective.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 AM
PorscheSki89
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPO if you care about the money. I have a 2012.5 991 C2S that stickered for just over $125K which I purchased under CPO with less than 6k miles for $87K. The car is awesome.

Quick Reply: $93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy? (X-Post from the Cayman forum)