Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy? (X-Post from the Cayman forum)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

And you ruled out the Boxster?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rather have a plain base C2 with some nice options than a fully optioned Cayman S. One reason, every one on here always wanted a 911 in their youth, that doesn't go away if you get a Cayman. You will trade it for a 911 IMO.... Two, the Cayman's don't hold their value compared to a 911.... Three the 911 is the perfect sports car IMO..... just my .02

Buy what you want but if you always wanted a 911 and you have the resources....get it!! I went through 4 cars last year until I finally got my 911 in July....haven't looked at anything else since!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:21 AM
G car
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait for GTS Cayman
Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a base Cab and regretted my decision until I finally found the same options on a 4S Cab and bought it. I did not consider a Boxster as I knew I would trade it off if I did buy it. I also decided that the extra $20,000 was what it took to buy what I wanted and either do it or not buy anything.

I know this is a tough decision but I figured I wanted the best I could get and plan to keep a long time so the difference was worth it.

My sales guy gave me two sets of keys (base and S) to drive and said - let me know when you are done. I spent over an hour driving to decide. If the salesman is not working with you he is simply chatting with the other sales guys so make him earn his check.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:30 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Quest911
I would rather have a plain base C2 with some nice options than a fully optioned Cayman S. One reason, every one on here always wanted a 911 in their youth, that doesn't go away if you get a Cayman. You will trade it for a 911 IMO.... Two, the Cayman's don't hold their value compared to a 911.... Three the 911 is the perfect sports car IMO..... just my .02

Buy what you want but if you always wanted a 911 and you have the resources....get it!! I went through 4 cars last year until I finally got my 911 in July....haven't looked at anything else since!
It's a matter of personal preference, obviously, and you should get what makes you happiest. But since you asked for others' opinions/thoughts, I agree with Quest911. I couldn't imagine even considering a Cayman S, even if it were loaded to the hilt, over a 911, never mind a decently optioned C4S.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Thee are both outstanding. 991 S with PSE is magic.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:45 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iiAtlas
Hi all, first time poster and (soon to be) first time porsche owner here!

I'm looking at buying a car which I'll keep forever. I've loved porsches forever and now finally have the chance to own one. I fell in love with the 2014 (981) Cayman S, and went to my local the dealer to make a factory order (here's my porsche build code). Final price came to a whopping $93,920...

I was and still am okay paying this price, but I started to think "should I really be looking at 911's?" The car will be a weekend driver for me, and I just want it to put a smile on my face every time I step in it. Luckily, I know both cars will.

I looked around the dealership and found many well equiped 2013/2014 (991) Carrera S's and Carrera 4S's in the $120k - $130k range. In your opinion, should I bite the bullet and "upgrade" to a C4S? This is the one I had in mind.

Let me know what you guys think!
I've owned a Cayman-S and I own a 996TT
For $90k you could buy one hell of a lot of Turbo Porsche from some discriminating buyer who has suffered the depreciation for you.
Just saying.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Thee are both outstanding. 991 S with PSE is magic.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by drh
$90k you could buy one hell of a lot of Turbo Porsche from some discriminating buyer who has suffered the depreciation for you.
Just saying.
Not a 991 series. Maybe in about 5 years you can. A 997 series, sure.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies! I'll try to get to everyone...

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Listen to the boys and drive everything you can possibly be interested in purchasing. Don't feel bad for one min. at the dealership. You are the customer. Take your time and don't rush this purchase.

If this is really the Porsche purchase to end all purchases get exactly what you want. Especially if you are willing to drop $94 large on a Cayman. I picked up my 2013 Carrera S with PDK, Chrono and PSE, park sens, PDLS, glass sunroof, Classics etc. for just a tad over $100k seven months ago and it had 12 miles on it. Again, don't let anyone tell you what you want. Just decide on your own.
Thanks for the support, and congratulations on your purchase! I'd love to hear a little more about your Carrera S, it sounds well optioned and in a reasonable price range. Does it ever feel large or sluggish? I'm looking for a sports car, not really a daily driver. I feel the size of the 991 might not really be something I need or even want.

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
There's a 54 mile(!!!) 2014 Cayman S in the vehicle marketplace. CPO'd for $67,400. I totally get the ordering EXACTLY what you want.......but is it worth $26K more? In two years time, the two cars will be worth similar dollars.

I don't own either but the new Cayman is extremely tempting. Just have to be careful with the option ticking....it can get out of hand very quickly. 991s are awesome cars too but again, prices get serious very fast.
It's crazy how quick a Cayman S can hit 911 price ranges, I can't even imagine what I'd end up working a 991 into...

Originally Posted by gota911
The description of C4S you listed states it is a manual transmission. However, the pics show it as a PDK transmission.
Strange, I'll have to ask the dealer which is correct. For the Cayman I was certainly feeling manual, but for the 911 I'd probably end up going PDK due to my temptation to use it as a daily driver/more frequent driver. Any thoughts on this? I know it's a heated debate...

Originally Posted by LexVan
And you ruled out the Boxster?
I did, I'm not to interested in a convertible - especially not a soft top. Rain and cold weather would leave me with it up most of the time, and I prefer the styling of the coupe.

Originally Posted by Quest911

I, like many others, have dreamed of a 911 so I absolutely see what you're saying. I don't plan on selling the car so I'm not too worried about price depreciation. It's a tough choice!

Originally Posted by G car
Wait for GTS Cayman
Ehh, I'm not too interested. I prefer the styling of the current 981 - not looking for anything TOO sporty

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
I ordered a base Cab and regretted my decision until I finally found the same options on a 4S Cab and bought it. I did not consider a Boxster as I knew I would trade it off if I did buy it. I also decided that the extra $20,000 was what it took to buy what I wanted and either do it or not buy anything.

I know this is a tough decision but I figured I wanted the best I could get and plan to keep a long time so the difference was worth it.

My sales guy gave me two sets of keys (base and S) to drive and said - let me know when you are done. I spent over an hour driving to decide. If the salesman is not working with you he is simply chatting with the other sales guys so make him earn his check.
Glad you ended up getting the car you love! What specifically made the 4S better then the base, power? All wheel drive? I'm struggling to decide whether I could get away with a C2S rather than a C4S.

Originally Posted by drh
I've owned a Cayman-S and I own a 996TT
For $90k you could buy one hell of a lot of Turbo Porsche from some discriminating buyer who has suffered the depreciation for you.
Just saying.
Sadly, I've ruled out used cars and exclusively want to make a factory order. I know this may sound crazy, and I'm sure I'm missing out on some great deals, but I am very particular about what I want and a factory order is the only way I'll be able to do that. Also, I plan on doing european delivery for whichever one I get! Wouldn't want to miss out on that!

Originally Posted by sportscentury
It's a matter of personal preference, obviously, and you should get what makes you happiest. But since you asked for others' opinions/thoughts, I agree with Quest911. I couldn't imagine even considering a Cayman S, even if it were loaded to the hilt, over a 911, never mind a decently optioned C4S.
I think only time in both with tell which makes me happier. I prefer the size of a Cayman, but the history of a 911 is simply unbeatable. I've wanted one since I was a kid, and now having the chance to get one but NOT seems a little crazy. It's certainly a tough choice to make...
Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

European delivery is on my bucket list...not sure I'll ever be able to pull that off, but I can dream.
Very happy to hear you want to do that as well
Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You say this car is forever. Get a reasonably equipped C2S and you will never look back. The 981 is a great car but after the novelty wears off many buyers have regretted not buying the big dog.

PS Keep in mind that you are on the 991 forum and we all have an obvious bias.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Samp4
Racer

For me to decide on the 4S was more that it had the same options I had as must haves. I love the natural leather and specifically the espresso/cognac and the exterior color. The dealer just happened to have a 4S instead of an S with that configuration. If it would have been a S I also would have bought that. I think the 4 is more stable out of corners if you are really getting on it so easier for my wife to manage.

I decided to skip the base as I knew this would be my only time I would do this (I always buy used cars) so I should get exactly what I wanted. I really don't think there is that much difference in the base and S in most driving but it was more that I just thought I would regret not getting the better engine.

I would look at the 911 and the options you can get on a special order. There are tons of stitching, leather and exterior options. This forum has some great explanations of special things you can do. Take your time and decide on what you want as if you buy the wrong car you will not want to keep it and cost more than if you bought what you wanted in the first place.

If I were doing it again I would probably trade the 4S for a base and put more leather and deviated stitching in the car and really look at the special options to personalize the car. I know I would run up the cost so would have to settle for the base car. But what a great settle it would be.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by iiAtlas
Thanks for all the replies! I prefer the size of a Cayman, but the history of a 911 is simply unbeatable. I've wanted one since I was a kid, and now having the chance to get one but NOT seems a little crazy. It's certainly a tough choice to make...
Not much difference in size. Both are largish sports cars, supple and comfortable bordering on luxurious when cruising, with more room for stuff than you expect.

They go and stop and handle, each with their own special feel. Cayman S and 991 base are close in performance. The 991 S is a larger step away from the Cayman- in ways that Cayman owners and 911 owners each appreciate.

You won't go wrong either way. All you can miss is a 991 S

PS The 981 Boxter S is a whole other story
Old 02-07-2014, 03:56 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Couple of suggestions:
- Get the X71 suspension rather than PASM - it's cheaper and fantastic.
- Bundle the 18 way sport seats + leather interior. It drops the price of the Xenons to zero
- If you are in the US, the telephone module doesn't buy you much.

www.porsche-code.com/PEXN78Y7

otherwise, that's likely what I would do.

Quick Reply: $93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy? (X-Post from the Cayman forum)