Sponsored by:

Who's tracking their 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
I'm actually a big fan of the MPSS. I find that as long as you recognize that the MPSS are street tires and manage them that way on the track, you can get excellent life and performance out of them. 20-25 minute stints shouldn't be a problem on them. They also wear surprisingly well, even with stock alignment. I did about 14 track days on MPSS, and frankly i'd rather give up a couple seconds a lap and run them for as long as I did rather than buying 3 sets of Trofeo R for the absolute speed.
Totally agree on the MPSS for the street, and the track if you are mindful that they are street tires and that you will break traction sooner (but they stay nicely progressive). I usually run 888's and get 6 to 8 days out of them which is not too bad. They also improve my time by a couple of seconds on Road Atlanta (esp. at turn 7 where I can maintain more speed and slingshot better).

Normally, i'd change them out but this year I didn't bother since I pretty much only drove the car to and from the track. Pads worked fine on the street, they just squealed like crazy
I drove a few weeks with the RS29's on the car and was amazed that there was almost no squealing Maybe because the different size/rotors on my Brembo BBK? Hard to explain though
Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Did not look that bad right after the accident:

Looked a lot scarier while being fixed at the shop:

Every part with the tiniest scratch or scuff got replaced and the car got fully repainted.

I would go as far as to say that the car is back to showroom condition:

Wow, car looks great, showroom indeed! Your body shop does nice work.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

President Palmer's (hope you were a "24" fan).
I have heard of people insured by Progressive, Geico, Travelers & AA covered in similar circumstances.
Lol, got it, thanks. Glad you were in good hands.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:23 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I drove a few weeks with the RS29's on the car and was amazed that there was almost no squealing Maybe because the different size/rotors on my Brembo BBK? Hard to explain though
I think the squealing depends on the calliper design. On my old M3, I had an Alcon BBK and the RS29 were absolutely silent. When I had RS29 on the OEM callipers, my car sounded like a dump truck!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:26 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

I had pagid 29s installed on my 981 Cayman S before I sold it for the new 991 and had no squeal on track or street. The mechanic chamfered the edges of the pads prior to installation and stated that it would help with wear and noise. That may have had something to do with it. The PFC pads are tapered from the factory as well and supposedly don't squeal.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:45 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

I think the squealing depends on the calliper design. On my old M3, I had an Alcon BBK and the RS29 were absolutely silent. When I had RS29 on the OEM callipers, my car sounded like a dump truck!
Same experience with my M3 and my AP BBK.
RS29s plus SRF works great on the 991.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:12 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Tracked... and crashed it already (oil spill on the track). Fixed and ready to go back!
Brakes are the only weak point. Running Brembo 15" BBK + RS29. Maybe a bit overkill and SS lines + RS29's could be enough. Also went for 888 tires, bucket seats (997 GT2) and BBi roll bar.
Cars has SPASM and PDCC and i do not feel the need for any suspension upgrade.
The car is a blast on the track, but between the pads, tires and track insurance, it quickly becomes pricey. Still worth every penny though.
Do you have any photos of your BBi roll bar installed? I’m thinking about getting one of those (or the GMG bar) but there are very few pics online.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Do you have any photos of your BBi roll bar installed? I’m thinking about getting one of those (or the GMG bar) but there are very few pics online.
+1! I'm thinking of that one too. The only odd thing about it it seems it doesn't have a bar for a harness. Kinda weird. Anyway, I'd be very interested to leanr how involved the install is as well. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:18 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
+1! I'm thinking of that one too. The only odd thing about it it seems it doesn't have a bar for a harness. Kinda weird. Anyway, I'd be very interested to leanr how involved the install is as well. Thanks!

This is the BBi bar I like (which does allow for harnesses) – not sure if it’s the same one SM_ATL has though ?

Does anyone have one of these in their 991?
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I did. the fact of the matter is that my 'street' insurance covered the accident (no deductible as opposed to the track insurance), but as stated before, there is no guarantee they would. Talking to my body shop, they told me that they have seen all major insurance companies pay at one point or another for track damage, but not systematically.
It did not look like there was a lot of damage to the car, but I ended up in the gravel pit and the car paint got crippled (+ LOTS of gravel in the underpinnings, inside the car, damaged wheels and calipers etc.). The car was in fact not too far from being totaled.
As far as the coverage is concerned, I insure that car at its market value.

PS: here's a video footage of the accident. Oil spill but still partly my fault too: you can see blue smoke (getting into turn 6 @ Road Atlanta) and I just assumed that the car in front of me -that did not have ABS- had locked the brakes. The fact that the corner marshal wasn't waiving a flag also left me too confident. It had in fact blown up its engine and dropped a fair amount of oil on the track. Lesson learnt: always be ready for the worst :bang head:

http://youtu.be/Wyvz1aXBgIA

http://youtu.be/w0AfQcLjn8M
Approaching that turn and seeing the ploom of smoke should have told you to lift and back off at least that's what I'd done. Especially IF it's not a race and just a fun DE. I've seen lots of nice P car's totaled at DE's in my days. The top was a brand new 996 Turbo at Pocono speedway doing a barrel roll. Will never forget witnessing that one.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:10 AM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Approaching that turn and seeing the ploom of smoke should have told you to lift and back off at least that's what I'd done. Especially IF it's not a race and just a fun DE. I've seen lots of nice P car's totaled at DE's in my days. The top was a brand new 996 Turbo at Pocono speedway doing a barrel roll. Will never forget witnessing that one.
Could not agree more -retrospectively-. Having seen the other car operating over the week end, my brain just went straight to the 'brake smoke' conclusion.
Never trust Ockham's razor at this type of speed. Lesson painfully learnt.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 AM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

This is the BBi bar I like (which does allow for harnesses) – not sure if it’s the same one SM_ATL has though ?

Does anyone have one of these in their 991?
Yes, my roll bar is a bbi and i have been happy with it. Really sturdy. Not the easiest to install, but with the exception of a small cut in the carpet, no damage done to the car for when you want to resell it.

Here are a couple of pics:

Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Love the seats. Did you install the bar yourself?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBS911
Love the seats. Did you install the bar yourself?
A shop did it for me as I was afraid of hitting/scratching something in the cabin. It is a simple bolt on and it DIY-able if you are careful and patient.

Seats are GT2 leather bucket seats. They work fine on the 991, but the seat side airbag will not work (no airbag in all other bucket seats anyhow...). If only PNA would import the European 991 bucket seats GRrrr
Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Yes, my roll bar is a bbi and i have been happy with it. Really sturdy. Not the easiest to install, but with the exception of a small cut in the carpet, no damage done to the car for when you want to resell it.

Here are a couple of pics:

SM_ATL's pics show the harness mounting positions--they're on the crossbars in the back. I've wondered about this, though--is it thought that a more traditional shoulder harness mounting location closer to the seatbacks would be preferable so that there is less length of belt material to potentially stretch in an impact? Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide between the bbi, GMG and BGB rollbars.

Great looking install, by the way!

Quick Reply: Who's tracking their 991