Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's tracking their 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I did around 20 track days last year in my C2S. Only mods were Pagid RS29 brake pads, Castrol SRF brace fluid and Pirellii Trofeo R. I also ran a set of 19" MPSS. The car is amazing out of the box, even on PZero, expect huge amounts of grip, and neutral handling.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
I did around 20 track days last year in my C2S. Only mods were Pagid RS29 brake pads, Castrol SRF brace fluid and Pirellii Trofeo R. I also ran a set of 19" MPSS. The car is amazing out of the box, even on PZero, expect huge amounts of grip, and neutral handling.
How were the Trofeo R's on track? And the Super Sports? Did the Michelins hold up well, or did they become greasy after 15min or so?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys run the RS29 on street or just at track?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tracked... and crashed it already (oil spill on the track). Fixed and ready to go back!
Brakes are the only weak point. Running Brembo 15" BBK + RS29. Maybe a bit overkill and SS lines + RS29's could be enough. Also went for 888 tires, bucket seats (997 GT2) and BBi roll bar.
Cars has SPASM and PDCC and i do not feel the need for any suspension upgrade.
The car is a blast on the track, but between the pads, tires and track insurance, it quickly becomes pricey. Still worth every penny though.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^ SM_ ATL did you say you have track insurance coverage for track driving?
What carrier offers that?
What do they charge?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lunarx
^ SM_ ATL did you say you have track insurance coverage for track driving?
What carrier offers that?
What do they charge?
The two companies I have been working with are OnTrack (http://www.ontrackinsurance.com) and Lockton Affinity (http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance/).

If I remember well, you would pay between $550 to $700 for a $100k coverage depending on the deductible (5 to 15% I think) and whether you buy coverage for one or several events at a time. Interestingly they do not cover track 'days' but events and the cost is the same whether it is a one day or 3 days event.

I would personally not track my 991 without insurance coverage. Sometimes your regular 'street' insurance will cover HPDE's based on the fact that they are non-racing, non-timed instructional type of activity.
If you ask them beforehand, they'll say they dot not cover DE's. If you file a claim, they will sometimes accept it but there is no guarantee...
Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
The two companies I have been working with are OnTrack (http://www.ontrackinsurance.com) and Lockton Affinity (http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance/).

If I remember well, you would pay between $550 to $700 for a $100k coverage depending on the deductible (5 to 15% I think) and whether you buy coverage for one or several events at a time. Interestingly they do not cover track 'days' but events and the cost is the same whether it is a one day or 3 days event.

I would personally not track my 991 without insurance coverage. Sometimes your regular 'street' insurance will cover HPDE's based on the fact that they are non-racing, non-timed instructional type of activity.
If you ask them beforehand, they'll say they dot not cover DE's. If you file a claim, they will sometimes accept it but there is no guarantee...
So did you file a claim on your accident? Given the cost of a typical track mishap do you still insure full value?
Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
So did you file a claim on your accident? Given the cost of a typical track mishap do you still insure full value?
I did. the fact of the matter is that my 'street' insurance covered the accident (no deductible as opposed to the track insurance), but as stated before, there is no guarantee they would. Talking to my body shop, they told me that they have seen all major insurance companies pay at one point or another for track damage, but not systematically.
It did not look like there was a lot of damage to the car, but I ended up in the gravel pit and the car paint got crippled (+ LOTS of gravel in the underpinnings, inside the car, damaged wheels and calipers etc.). The car was in fact not too far from being totaled.
As far as the coverage is concerned, I insure that car at its market value.

PS: here's a video footage of the accident. Oil spill but still partly my fault too: you can see blue smoke (getting into turn 6 @ Road Atlanta) and I just assumed that the car in front of me -that did not have ABS- had locked the brakes. The fact that the corner marshal wasn't waiving a flag also left me too confident. It had in fact blown up its engine and dropped a fair amount of oil on the track. Lesson learnt: always be ready for the worst :bang head:

Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm with you on the track insurance. I don't track without it. Interesting comments on the PDCC. My first track event should be at Sebring, end of next month. Can't wait to see how she feels. Great looking car btw.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I did. the fact of the matter is that my 'street' insurance covered the accident (no deductible as opposed to the track insurance), but as stated before, there is no guarantee they would. Talking to my body shop, they told me that they have seen all major insurance companies pay at one point or another for track damage, but not systematically.
It did not look like there was a lot of damage to the car, but I ended up in the gravel pit and the car paint got crippled (+ LOTS of gravel in the underpinnings, inside the car, damaged wheels and calipers etc.). The car was in fact not too far from being totaled.
As far as the coverage is concerned, I insure that car at its market value.

PS: here's a video footage of the accident. Oil spill but still partly my fault too: you can see blue smoke (getting into turn 6 @ Road Atlanta) and I just assumed that the car in front of me -that did not have ABS- had locked the brakes. The fact that the corner marshal wasn't waiving a flag also left me too confident. It had in fact blown up its engine and dropped a fair amount of oil on the track. Lesson learnt: always be ready for the worst :bang head:
Amazing how calm and composed you were in the aftermath of that incident. Also amazing how much damage can occur with a seemingly innocent "off." Glad you got the car fixed.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Certainly was a lot of damage for a minor impact, got to love the expense of Porsche! Glad it all worked out for you. Out of curiousity, who was your "street" insurer?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
Certainly was a lot of damage for a minor impact, got to love the expense of Porsche! Glad it all worked out for you. Out of curiousity, who was your "street" insurer?
President Palmer's (hope you were a "24" fan).
I have heard of people insured by Progressive, Geico, Travelers & AA covered in similar circumstances.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Mayhem.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:39 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Mayhem.
Did not look that bad right after the accident:

Looked a lot scarier while being fixed at the shop:

Every part with the tiniest scratch or scuff got replaced and the car got fully repainted.

I would go as far as to say that the car is back to showroom condition:

Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
How were the Trofeo R's on track? And the Super Sports? Did the Michelins hold up well, or did they become greasy after 15min or so?
The Trofeo R are fantastic tires. Easily 2-3 seconds a lap faster than the MPSS (at least at the Glen and Calabogie), although they are very sensitive to pressure changes. I found that they worked best at 32-34psi all around during 20-25 minute stints. They do wear quickly. I got about 4 track days out of those tires. Even with stock alignment, they wore well.

I'm actually a big fan of the MPSS. I find that as long as you recognize that the MPSS are street tires and manage them that way on the track, you can get excellent life and performance out of them. 20-25 minute stints shouldn't be a problem on them. They also wear surprisingly well, even with stock alignment. I did about 14 track days on MPSS, and frankly i'd rather give up a couple seconds a lap and run them for as long as I did rather than buying 3 sets of Trofeo R for the absolute speed.

Originally Posted by lunarx
You guys run the RS29 on street or just at track?
Normally, i'd change them out but this year I didn't bother since I pretty much only drove the car to and from the track. Pads worked fine on the street, they just squealed like crazy

Quick Reply: Who's tracking their 991