Sponsored by:

CPO with aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM
walterwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO with aftermarket parts?

My understanding of the CPO program is that if the vehicle has any aftermarket mods, it is not CPO eligible.

Yet, I'm been looking at a C2S that has a TechArt rear spoiler and non-Porsche wheels that has been CPO'ed.

Am I missing something here, or are there exceptions/carve-outs that allow a car like this to be CPO'ed? Or is it just that the modifications themselves are excluded, but the rest of the car is covered?

If the dealer neglected to mention these in the CPO check, is the CPO essentially invalid?

Thanks,

Walter
Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by walterwu
My understanding of the CPO program is that if the vehicle has any aftermarket mods, it is not CPO eligible.

Yet, I'm been looking at a C2S that has a TechArt rear spoiler and non-Porsche wheels that has been CPO'ed.

Am I missing something here, or are there exceptions/carve-outs that allow a car like this to be CPO'ed? Or is it just that the modifications themselves are excluded, but the rest of the car is covered?

If the dealer neglected to mention these in the CPO check, is the CPO essentially invalid?

Thanks,

Walter
It can have some after market things and still be CPO eligible. The selling dealer must disclose on the CPO window sticker what aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. Some aftermarket, far example upgraded non factory brake calipers would disqualify it but an after market navigation system wouldn't. All aftermarket parts would not be covered under the terms of the CPO Warranty either.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:17 PM
walterwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
It can have some after market things and still be CPO eligible. The selling dealer must disclose on the CPO window sticker what aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. Some aftermarket, far example upgraded non factory brake calipers would disqualify it but an after market navigation system wouldn't. All aftermarket parts would not be covered under the terms of the CPO Warranty either.
Thanks, Abby. Is the CPO inspection a self-reported, honor system type of warranty (or does Porsche N.A. review or approve them?) or is the warranty invalid and the buyer is screwed if the dealer engages in some shenanigans in the disclosure or the inspection?

I would assume Porsche N.A. would still have to honor it since there name is on the warranty, but other Rennlisters have reported some surprising things in dealing with Porsche N.A. (very different from my experience with Porsche during the 1980's and 1990's when they were still Reno, NV).

Thanks,

Walter
Old 01-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealers get audited on the integrity of the CPO process. An inspection is documented before any work is done and receipts are kept for all work. Where a customer can get themselves in the trick bag by a shady dealer, is if the dealer doesn't do the work required under the guidelines on the inspection for items NOT covered on the CPO. Example; brake pads/rotors/belts, tires, major service intervals ignored etc. Those items fall back on the customer even though they should have been brought up to standard by the dealer to meet CPO requirements.

I think the biggest problems I have seen on here related to CPO cars, is the overall condition not being disclosed.

Quick Reply: CPO with aftermarket parts?