Sponsored by:

2 50th Anniversary Slots available!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Interesting take on the Pepita/houndstooth cloth seats. I don't think the full leather lessens resale at all. In fact, I think it improves it. I chose full leather because I personally dislike the houndstooth and also thought the original pepita in the early cars was ugly as well. Don't flame me...I know some of you like the houndstooth and that's fine. Most people like full leather but the houndstooth is either like or dislike. I showed the houndstooth to several people who all thought that it was less than attractive and my wife thought it was horrible. When I sell my car I don't believe anyone will turn it down with low mileage because of the full leather. We all pick what WE like and hopefully don't worry about the "next" owner. IMHO, the only thing that will lessen the collectability is a modification from factory specs. Any full factory car will be fine. I hope everyone chooses the houndstooth so there are fewer of mine. "911/50 for sale----one of only 100/1963 to come with full leather"......time will tell. Who likes the original 928 seats with checkers...defined the car...barf bag please.
I am with you on the leather interior. I have tried to convince myself that I like the houndstooth, but can't do it. My wife says it looks like a lady's dress.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
However, on this particular 50th Anniversary model, I would forgo them to make certain that I end up with the unique cloth inlays seats which will characterized, even define, this model for years to come!
Agreed. The houndstooth cloth is a retro feature. I've had full leather on all of my other 911s, but I didn't even consider it for this retro car. But to each his own.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
My guess is that the 'issue' for not offering 14 way full leather seats with ventilation is related to the special 50th anniversary logo on the seat (first photo). Porsche probably anticipated that the limited demand* for any full leather seat on this model would be greater for the 18 way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (probably also the one seat option that makes them more money too!). So it probably negotiated with the external seat supplier/vendor for only the 18 Way Adaptives with 'ventilation' & embroidery....not the 14 way Power Sport Seats! Optional Heating, on the other hand, is provided (I believe) on all the seat choices of the 50th Anniversary model - Pepita or leather inlays!

*Why do I say 'Limited Demand' for full leather seats on this model? From my perspective as a longhood early 911 collector and as long time student of Porsche 911 history, I believe that anyone that doesn't choose the unique leather/cloth seats offered on this limited edition 50th Anniversary model is making, in my humble opinion, a costly mistake. The 'pepita' cloth inlays is one of the items that will make this Limited Edition a very desirable model for collectors and will greatly impact the value of your 50th Anniversary in the future! If you know anything about the history of early Porsches (both late 356s & early 911's), you will understand the significance of these unusual 'Pepita' cloth inlays to the myth of these models. This indeed is the 50th Anniversary edition, which tries to connect this limited production model to that early period back in the mid-Sixties! So 'caveat emptor' on choosing the full leather seats on the 50th Anniversary if you really want to maximize the value & relevance of your Limited Edition for posterity! I would guess that the clear majority of 50th Anniversary vehicles will be ordered with the cloth inlays. In Europe, it might be almost 99%! But that is a guess and nothing that we can yet verify.

In general I do agree that the ventilation feature on the new Porsche seats, which began with the .2 997 but has been expanded on the 991, are a great step forward & desirable! However, on this particular 50th Anniversary model, I would forgo them to make certain that I end up with the unique cloth inlays seats which will characterized, even define, this model for years to come!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Eduardo, as usual, nails it, at least for me. Another million dollar post free to the reader.
Nice to see you posting more actively, Eduardo! I have really enjoyed the Boxster you helped me order.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Agreed. It looks like Porsche had w-a-a-y too much Black paint in stock and added some white to come up with Graphite Grey.
Originally Posted by sportscentury
Love or hate the 911_50 colors, that's just silly.
My statement was intended to be hyperbole. But, since you didn’t get that, the point I was making is that the colors for the 50th are, IMO, very drab and uninspired, and are very underwhelming for a "semi-Limited Edition” variant.

Of course, it could end up being even more limited than the 1,963 Porsche originally planned to produce. Should that be the case, it could be an unexpected benefit for those who bought a 50th.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your 50th when it arrives.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Fünfzig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't order mine from a collectors point of view, I ordered it for what I consider a tasteful reinterpretation of several key design elements from the cars past - design elements that made a lasting impression in my youth, and therefore essential to me in making the purchase. that-said, I agree with both Eduardo and Brett:

"Especially if ordered with a manual and the Geyser or Graphite Grey with the Hounds tooth interior which will be very collectible when we no longer even offer a manual transmission"

Regardless, all of them will be quite special - now, and in the future.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:58 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
My statement was intended to be hyperbole. But, since you didn’t get that, the point I was making is that the colors for the 50th are, IMO, very drab and uninspired, and are very underwhelming for a "semi-Limited Edition” variant.

Of course, it could end up being even more limited than the 1,963 Porsche originally planned to produce. Should that be the case, it could be an unexpected benefit for those who bought a 50th.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your 50th when it arrives.
I understood what you were saying. I just thought it was a silly thing to say, especially in reference to a polychromatic paint/color.

I appreciate your good wishes.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Interesting to contemplate the future value of a 50th Anniversary car. 20 or 30 years from now, the people who fell in love with the original 911s in their youth and are looking to recapture said youth will be in their 90s.

My recommendation is to order the options you want in your car, and enjoy it NOW.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:59 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Interesting to contemplate the future value of a 50th Anniversary car. ...
My recommendation is to order the options you want in your car, and enjoy it NOW.
+1!!
The Pepita vs Leather debate will not be resolved (vis. 7M vs PDK!).

Enjoy what you have, and lets all be thankful that there are still car companies like Porsche that allow us to customize to our own tastes.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:49 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Who likes the original 928 seats with checkers...defined the car...barf bag please.
The Pascha fabric was also available on 924s and... 911s. Its a bit loud in black and white, but in a more subdued palate with smaller boxes could be a brand identifier, much like the plaid in a VW GTI.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Down to one car left!! March build date still available guys.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:14 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
Down to one car left!! March build date still available guys.
Congrats on locking down the April one, Brett.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:56 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
The Pascha fabric was also available on 924s and... 911s. Its a bit loud in black and white, but in a more subdued palate with smaller boxes could be a brand identifier, much like the plaid in a VW GTI.
But does VW really want the plaid to be a brand identifier for them? If so... more's the pity.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't really followed the 50th Anniversary cars since they are way out of my range. But one thing that would have been cool would be to have some colors offered like Gulf Blue or even that Kermit The Frog green that were popular back when they were putting checkered cloth in the seats.

And I don't know the answer to this, but assume if anyone really, really wanted a 50 and the color choices were unappetizing, couldn't they choose a custom color (for an upcharge)?

I will say that Porsche does limited editions like no one else, and in general, I can't imagine many of them having '73 RS or RSR caché in the future.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
And I don't know the answer to this, but assume if anyone really, really wanted a 50 and the color choices were unappetizing, couldn't they choose a custom color (for an upcharge)?
No PTS (paint to sample) for the 50th was offered. Probably the best option then would be for a full custom aftermarket wrap.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Fünfzig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Chiboy - I would have gone Kermit, but I do really like the Geyser on it too...

Quick Reply: 2 50th Anniversary Slots available!