Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For a subtle exhaust note change on the 991S 3.8L (non-PSE)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:38 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default For a subtle exhaust note change on the 991S 3.8L (non-PSE)

One of our customers recently picked up a 991 C4S with the regular exhaust. He liked the sound of the PSE but the cost to add it on afterwards was pretty high. He heard our exhaust on the 3.4L 991 and wondered what it would be like on his car. If you have the PSE I wouldn't recommend changing it out for a center replacement. Leave it be... If you don't though this is an option:

This daily driver 991 C4S was delivered without the factory PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) so for a more sporty sound we installed the SharkWerks center exhaust. Also on tap were a set of front and rear RSS Spacers (7mm and 15mm) to give the wheels a more aggressive offset.

On the lift she goes:

The belly with three mufflers in stock form:

The center one is the part we are replacing for a little more sound:

Naked!

SharkWerks center exhaust installed:

Lowered on TechArt springs and with 7/15mm RSS Spacers in the front and rear:

Ready to go home!

Example video:
Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you happen to look at the part numbers of the side mufflers 3.4L non-PSE vs 3.8l non-PSE?

I know the PSE side mufflers are different part numbers (which should only affect the sound when the valves are closed).
Old 01-08-2014, 06:47 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
Did you happen to look at the part numbers of the side mufflers 3.4L non-PSE vs 3.8l non-PSE?

I know the PSE side mufflers are different part numbers (which should only affect the sound when the valves are closed).
I'll check with James on that. Really though they look identical (despite those numbers) and it's the center that is physically obviously different on the PSE....
Old 01-08-2014, 06:47 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if this center muffler sounded a little different than a the PSE center section. The PSE is not straight through, it's a chambered design. (see attachment)

The PSE uses a crossover in the middle, but has to make a 180 degree turn through an open resonator at position 1 in the red, in the diagram.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
I'll check with James on that. Really though they look identical (despite those numbers) and it's the center that is physically obviously different on the PSE....

Yeah, I bought a PSE center section for my 2013 C2S coupe (they're shockingly cheap) and it sounded pretty much identical to the factory PSE on my new C4S cab. Pretty sure the side mufflers aren't hugely different if at all, just curious more than anything else. The retrofit has a lot of cost in the programming and side mufflers that I suspect can be skipped if desired on the 3.8l at least. (the 3.4l doesn't have any valve plumbing)

I do think that the factory center section does not flow great, because the dips and valleys in the midrange are reduced a lot with a different center section. (my cargraphic center section did not make a big peak power difference but huge gains in the midrange)
Old 01-08-2014, 06:55 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if this center muffler sounded a little different than a the PSE center section. The PSE is not straight through, it's a chambered design. (see attachment)

The PSE uses a crossover in the middle, but has to make a 180 degree turn through an open resonator at position 1 in the red, in the diagram.
Yep that's a familiar page

It doesn't sound the same no.. and with the valves the are switching etc... it's different. An alternative to it though for not too much. The PSE sounds really good IMHO. The PSE at certain times seems louder than this and then quieter at other rpms.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeah, I bought a PSE center section for my 2013 C2S coupe (they're shockingly cheap) and it sounded pretty much identical to the factory PSE on my new C4S cab. Pretty sure the side mufflers aren't hugely different if at all, just curious more than anything else. The retrofit has a lot of cost in the programming and side mufflers that I suspect can be skipped if desired on the 3.8l at least. (the 3.4l doesn't have any valve plumbing)

I do think that the factory center section does not flow great, because the dips and valleys in the midrange are reduced a lot with a different center section. (my cargraphic center section did not make a big peak power difference but huge gains in the midrange)
I wouldn't put it past porsche though... We should get the plasma cutter out eh

The programing/wiring/valves etc.. do add up
Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Yep that's a familiar page

It doesn't sound the same no.. and with the valves the are switching etc... it's different. An alternative to it though for not too much. The PSE sounds really good IMHO. The PSE at certain times seems louder than this and then quieter at other rpms.

Interesting, though. If I didn't have PSE on my new car, I'd probably get this setup. Does this sound the same as the 3.4l cars? I heard DG's white car and it sounds great. Very similar in volume to my PSE car, with the valves open.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Interesting, though. If I didn't have PSE on my new car, I'd probably get this setup. Does this sound the same as the 3.4l cars? I heard DG's white car and it sounds great. Very similar in volume to my PSE car, with the valves open.
We probably could/should have done this earlier. We weren't really "set" on it though. Mostly because early on we'd heard the PSE? I guess we didn't want to discourage people from checking the "box"? We made the video a couple of years ago on a test car but never really went with it.

Because of the differences with those mufflers and center section on the 3.4 I'm going to say no it sounds different with DG's. I think better on his than on the 3.8s
Old 01-09-2014, 02:16 AM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Because of the differences with those mufflers and center section on the 3.4 I'm going to say no it sounds different with DG's. I think better on his than on the 3.8s

LOL, it'd be pretty funny if the 3.8l guys started buying the 3.4l mufflers.

I think we should have a plasma cutter day!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:04 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

LOL, it'd be pretty funny if the 3.8l guys started buying the 3.4l mufflers.

I think we should have a plasma cutter day!
That'd be cool on both counts
Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

We actually installed another of these on a Carrera S (without PSE) today:

The owner of this unique grey with red top 991 S cab wanted a little more bite, and since the car was not equipped with the PSE exhaust, we recommended he try our center exhaust. This gives a bit more volume and more interesting sounds without drone or check engine lights.

Grey wheels set this car out a bit more:

On the lift you can see how bulky the non-PSE system is, it's very similar to the Carrera 3.4L center muffler but it also has switching valves:

20-minutes later the stock exhaust is on the ground:

And we put the Shark Werks exhaust in its place, for a little less weight and more sound:

On the original center muffler, the extra pipes do not actually connect to the tips: they just hang in place. Unless you're laying on the ground you would never see the difference but here's what it looks like from a few inches above the tip:

All done:

Top down:

Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Regarding the 15mm spacers, we're longer lugs required?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by TRM
Always. Even the Porsche 5mm kit includes longer wheel bolts. Safety first.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRM
Yes indeed and they come with the kits:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=338

Quick Reply: For a subtle exhaust note change on the 991S 3.8L (non-PSE)