Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lmao
Old 01-06-2014, 02:46 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Tapeworm, we must be driving totally different cars. Maybe your engine is seriously damaged.

Nah, Tapeworm is correct, the 991 motor has some serious dips and humps in the power curve. I dislike it immensely, but most of the aftermarket exhausts take care of it. It's very interesting, they make little peak power alone, but removing some of the peaks and valleys of the power curve while making more noise is worth it to me.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this debate only reinforces the old adage, " one man's meat is another's poison" or each to their own.GTRs are being purchased. I find them grotesquely designed and would never consider owning one. Clearly others feel differently. Major car magazines have awarded the 991 as the best driving car. Others claim it is uninvolving with a seriously flawed engine. Some find the 997 TT boring.I consider it the finest overall car I have ever driven? We could go on and on. Everyone has their own tastes, priorities and predilections. For that reason, I am always hesitant to offer an opinion as to which model or vehicle to purchase. My advise is to test drive them as extensively as possible and choose the one that thrills you the most.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:06 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
I find them grotesquely designed and would never consider owning one.
+1

They really screwed up the body on that one. I would have actually looked into it if it didn't look so hideous
Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, horribly ugly cars!
Attached Images   
Old 01-06-2014, 03:25 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
Yeah, horribly ugly cars!
****!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

As much as I prioritize performance above all else, my vehicle has to be aesthetically pleasing enough that I derive joy just looking at it. The GTR does the opposite. It requires a paper bag be placed over it.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM
mb97tts
Racer

If it would have come in 3rd I'd still be excited about the one I have coming.... I could never get 80% if that out of the car..........................
Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/50
+1

Also getting popcorn, subscribed!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 PM
PeterC4
Advanced

Quite an imporvement over the original...I think

Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Originally Posted by PeterC4
Quite an imporvement over the original...I think
Agreed! The original is badass.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Is this thread about the engine or the styling? Styling is very personal. In my experience, there were no bad angles to the GTR, or bits of the body that looked unfinished or badly designed. Yes, it looked radical and quite Japanese, but that was part of the character and suited the car well. Parked next to a 911 it looked *huge*, but this never affected the performance in any way. I still find it amusing when Porsche owners pay serious dollars to drop 30-40lb from the car for something like a Lithium battery when a GTR weighed 500lb+ heavier and still went faster...

On a 911, even on the beautiful pictures of the cab in this thread, I don't like the standard mirrors with their black plastic (the sport design mirrors look much nicer) and the side indicators are by default orange in the US, which just look bad with most colors. The gaping black plastic hole under the front license plate where a radiator should be also looks badly finished. With a Porsche you simply have to spend $15k or more to get a 'decent set' of options, many spend $30k or more. With the GTR, there are no options, it's all standard (on the base Premium - I think the track and black editions are silly and the interiors are horrible colors). I guess I prefer this and wish Porsche would reduce the option set a bit. I don't want 2 crappy steering wheel choices, I want one good one as a standard for example. Why can't I have proper paddles and a heated wheel for example?

The reviews that don't notice the lump, bumpy engine are the reviews like Motor Trends that are done on a track, or on a closed road - then they are just using the last 2,000rpm and aggressive throttle all the time - which is where the 911S engine works well. The more realistic reviews, where the people actually live with the cars, typically end up preferring the non-S engine in a 991.

Andy
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

There is no denying that the option list and cost for them on a Porsche is exorbitant. This is a source of a large portion of their profits. There are many cars that are less expensive and offer many more standard features. However, nothing drives like a Porsche and looks like one. Are they overpriced? This is a common question. The answer is, if you can find an alternative that is less expensive and offers the same or superior performance, reliability, build quality and aesthetics , then the answer is yes. If not, then no. Porsches clearly are not for everyone for a variety of reasons. For Tapeworm, the GTR is a better choice and significantly less costly. Others prefer Ferraris, Lambos etc. But for others, including me, there is no substitute.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,304 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
Is this thread about the engine or the styling? Styling is very personal. In my experience, there were no bad angles to the GTR, or bits of the body that looked unfinished or badly designed. Yes, it looked radical and quite Japanese, but that was part of the character and suited the car well. Parked next to a 911 it looked *huge*, but this never affected the performance in any way. I still find it amusing when Porsche owners pay serious dollars to drop 30-40lb from the car for something like a Lithium battery when a GTR weighed 500lb+ heavier and still went faster...

On a 911, even on the beautiful pictures of the cab in this thread, I don't like the standard mirrors with their black plastic (the sport design mirrors look much nicer) and the side indicators are by default orange in the US, which just look bad with most colors. The gaping black plastic hole under the front license plate where a radiator should be also looks badly finished. With a Porsche you simply have to spend $15k or more to get a 'decent set' of options, many spend $30k or more. With the GTR, there are no options, it's all standard (on the base Premium - I think the track and black editions are silly and the interiors are horrible colors). I guess I prefer this and wish Porsche would reduce the option set a bit. I don't want 2 crappy steering wheel choices, I want one good one as a standard for example. Why can't I have proper paddles and a heated wheel for example?

The reviews that don't notice the lump, bumpy engine are the reviews like Motor Trends that are done on a track, or on a closed road - then they are just using the last 2,000rpm and aggressive throttle all the time - which is where the 911S engine works well. The more realistic reviews, where the people actually live with the cars, typically end up preferring the non-S engine in a 991.

Andy
So how'd you end up with a 911 and not a GT-R? Signed the wrong papers at the dealership by mistake?

Quick Reply: Reasons to buy a C4S