Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Carerra S wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:45 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

If I follow this correctly, the dealer caused this "scratch" and damaged another wheel sufficiently to need repair; and delivered the car to you with different pressures in each tire. Aside from the service manager being a good guy throughout, did he have any real response to such shoddy work? I would not be a happy camper.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
UPDATE FROM THE DEALER: The dealer declares that it is a scratch and not a problem. I will put some paint on it and keep an eye just in case. Thanks to all of your for your thoughts and input along the way. I will be keeping an eye on the wheels just in case.
What do we know? There's a spot of adhesive directly in line with the scratch and coming from the exact direction a screwdriver being pushed under the wheel weight would take. The scratch tapers off as it goes further from the weight. A crack would continue around the wheel spoke, not stop at the edge as this does. (It does stop there, doesn't it?) A crack would also start and be widest at the edge and taper towards the middle, not the opposite, as this does. The edges of cracks in aluminum are jagged not smooth. There is no "just in case." Its a scratch.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Golftime, yes the person who did the work the first time did a poor job, and I made sure that the service manager and my adviser knew it. The person who mounted the tires yesterday did not damage the wheel and did remove the glue from the wheel. I will pull the wheels off this weekend and put some paint in the scratch and see if there is anything else going on.

Chuck911, you obviously know way more about cracks in aluminum that I do. I am glad you are right and I was wrong, even though I really wish it was not even scratched. But at the end of the day, a scratch on the inside of a wheel on a car that is regularly tracked is not a big deal. I will be keeping an eye on it, just to make sure it does not develop into something more serious.

Quick Reply: Cracked Carerra S wheel