Wash Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:54 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Pressure washing? Not on my paint.
Guess I'm stupid also, no PW. I prefer to gently stroke the beautiful sleek body with my hands, not pi*s on it
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by aelia
I would agree with this statement, I use a PW on flat black with no issues because I use it with caution.
Was your flat black a special paint to sample car? I have never seen a flat black 991.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:38 AM
l82theparty
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this misfiring and check engine fault with my car. Happened right after a washing session; we use a pressure washer as well from a good distance and at an angle. Reading this thread, I'm fairly sure it's a water issue. The dealer replaced the hot film sensor used to measure airflow to the engine.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trysixty
Guess I'm stupid also, no PW. I prefer to gently stroke the beautiful sleek body with my hands, not pi*s on it
General consensus is that the flow rate used by pressure washer devotee's is pretty tame, fan spray and used at distance. This technique being widely recommended by the recognised detailing professionals

You may believe you aren't pissing on your paint but without touchless rinse you are probably doing more harm than you know

m33
Old 01-11-2014, 05:33 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by l82theparty
Had this misfiring and check engine fault with my car. Happened right after a washing session; we use a pressure washer as well from a good distance and at an angle. Reading this thread, I'm fairly sure it's a water issue. The dealer replaced the hot film sensor used to measure airflow to the engine.
Washed today but this time with a chemical guys drying towel covering the engine compartment to prevent water entering into the engine via the air intake. Will update as to whether this remedies the wash issue

m33
Old 01-11-2014, 06:28 PM
aelia
Advanced

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Was your flat black a special paint to sample car? I have never seen a flat black 991.
I meant regular black...
Old 01-12-2014, 01:04 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

already wash and detail 4 times with regular hose on fan, so far no issue, I've never use pressure wash. When I rinse, I use the water fall technique, works like a charm, less spot, and water not splatter everywhere.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:36 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

I got this tip from autogeek, been using it for a long time, and so far the best method, especially for wax cars, water just slide off. Try this method, it won't get in side the engine, not that I know off.

5. When rinsing, you don’t have to blast your car clean with the water hose. Free-flowing water (no nozzle) will allow the water to sheet off of your vehicle for a more thorough rinsing.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:32 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Thanks GT3 - I do use the sheeting technique but only after the full wash stage, makes drying so much easier.

I washed my car with the PW on Saturday as so far so good. Towel over the engine, spoiler down and only using the PW at right angles to the rear and on spray.

I've been very surprised by the negative reaction to use of the pressure washer and can only put it down to lack of experience or as some on DW have suggested the fact that mains pressure in the US is better than the UK hence the need for pressure assistance.

Whatever the reason the PW is an established tool as per autogeek, autopia and DW and will continue to be part of my routine. The best way to avoid swirls being to rinse with adequate pressure combined with pre-wash and foam, cannot be beaten as a method to remove all surface grit prior to touching the paint surface.

I cringe at the thought of dragging a mitt across the paint surface without this kind of pre treatment. In the UK a PW is the only way to achieve this result

BTW - mine is basalt black, not my first choice, but topped up the wax yesterday with Vics Concours and wow she looks dripping gorgeous - feeling compelled to lick her all over

m33
Old 01-12-2014, 05:21 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

I have no negative thing to say about pw because I've never use it before, I believe most experts use it for snow foam process, which is a really good way to take out/ loosen dirts, and its most effective properly use with pw.
Unfortunately I don't have one yet lol, so I just spray soap, rinse and spray one more time before I gently lay my mits on the car, quick process, sheeting technique, leaf blow, then waffle weave towel.

Black is a beauty when its clean, nothing compares, always love 911 in black, I have other cars in black already, so geyser grey is a fresh change for me, something different. Hard to see any lines or scratch.

Quick Reply: Wash Issue