Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wash Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014 | 03:02 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Default Wash Issue

I've learnt a difficult lesson over the last couple of months.

I'm driving a 2012 991s in Basalt Black and have always found detailing my cars a joy, both the process of washing and then enjoying the results.

I've honed my skills from years of trawling through detailing world an autopia and mastered a pretty good detailing process as well as accumulating a pretty gigantic haul of products and tools

Anyway, onto the 991. This isn't a black car nightmare thread, rather more stressful than that. I have had 3 instances of the "failure of the engine control system" warning that have meant inconvenience and a trip to the dealer. Each instance of this failure was preceded with a misfire than "corrected" itself but then left the warning message on.

For a while I never made any connection but each time this failure occurred I had previously washed the car. I think I am somehow getting water into the engine. After a bit of research it seems there are a few posts on this topic. My "fix" for this will be to cover the air intake and fans with a drying towel prior to pressure washing. I will also just direct the jet at 90 degrees to the slats rather than directly towards them.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I can see that it is more common on older (more enjoyed) cars with cracked coils but this cannot be the issue on a 991 with 4k miles only.

Any experience or advice would be welcome.

m33
Old 01-03-2014 | 03:09 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by m33porsche
My "fix" for this will be to cover the air intake and fans with a drying towel prior to pressure washing. I will also just direct the jet at 90 degrees to the slats rather than directly towards them.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I can see that it is more common on older (more enjoyed) cars with cracked coils but this cannot be the issue on a 991 with 4k miles only.

m33
You power wash your 991?
Old 01-03-2014 | 03:24 PM
WCE
User

I (stupidly) drove through 18" of flash flood water over the summer and can vouch for the improved water resistance of these cars and motors. Passed stalled sedans and took waves over the hood, but the 991 kept going without a sputter! I can also tell you when washing my old 996TT, any water through the rear lid vents would result in steam and squealing of the drive belt during startup as the entire motor would get soaked! Another area dramatically improved on the 991, although I wouldn't direct a power washer there!
Old 01-03-2014 | 03:37 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

The pressure washer is a key part of the snow foaming stage. The inference not to PW a 911 seems faintly ridiculous.

Reassuring point the on the 996TT as not directing the PW face-on would easily remedy my issue, or even just wind the pressure down when doing the rear deck

m33
Old 01-03-2014 | 03:43 PM
mtony
Pro

Make sure you warm the engine up when you wash and store the car after the wash. If you start the cold engine a couple of times and then store the car overnight, you can get misfires when you restart it the next time
Old 01-03-2014 | 06:05 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

IMHO you have an electrical issue that needs to be tracked down before it starts to cause problems when dry. It's not normal for misfires to occur after washing regardless of how you do it.
Old 01-03-2014 | 06:13 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
IMHO you have an electrical issue that needs to be tracked down before it starts to cause problems when dry. It's not normal for misfires to occur after washing regardless of how you do it.
Must admit this is my dominant thought. Its been with the dealer 3 times, the last of which was for 7 days whilst they tried to track it down. They didn't find anything conclusive unfortunately.

The washing theory may just be me grabbing at straws

m33
Old 01-03-2014 | 08:58 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Easy test
Try had washing rather than power washing once and see it happens. If not then go back to power washing and see if it happens.
Old 01-05-2014 | 11:36 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

I've learnt a difficult lesson over the last couple of months.

I'm driving a 2012 991s in Basalt Black and have always found detailing my cars a joy, both the process of washing and then enjoying the results.

I've honed my skills from years of trawling through detailing world an autopia and mastered a pretty good detailing process as well as accumulating a pretty gigantic haul of products and tools

Anyway, onto the 991. This isn't a black car nightmare thread, rather more stressful than that. I have had 3 instances of the "failure of the engine control system" warning that have meant inconvenience and a trip to the dealer. Each instance of this failure was preceded with a misfire than "corrected" itself but then left the warning message on.

For a while I never made any connection but each time this failure occurred I had previously washed the car. I think I am somehow getting water into the engine. After a bit of research it seems there are a few posts on this topic. My "fix" for this will be to cover the air intake and fans with a drying towel prior to pressure washing. I will also just direct the jet at 90 degrees to the slats rather than directly towards them.

m33
Pressure washing? Not on my paint.
Old 01-05-2014 | 12:17 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Pressure washer is just for the foam gun. I don't believe he is hitting the car's surfaces with high psi water. The foam gun really 'foams' when you use a pressure washer.

Is this what you are doing OP?
Old 01-05-2014 | 01:01 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Really surprised at the pressure washer reaction as its pretty much standard practice as described on Autopia/DW and is widely used by all professional detailers.

Moe Mistry recommends use of a PW in this thread:-

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...-question.html

A little care, ie fan spray, decent distance from the surface and you get a totally effective way of removing dirt before making any contact with the paint surface as part of the follow-on 2 bucket method. IMO much more likely to reduce the chance of swirling compared with a lower pressure hose that will not remove so much muck before you start wiping the paint surface with your mitt

What's the hang up?

m33

Last edited by m33porsche; 01-05-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2014 | 02:10 PM
GMAC03
Advanced

^+1, I use a pressure washer with foam gun , then pressure wash rinse (really great in wheel wells), from about 2'. Before any hand washing.
Old 01-05-2014 | 05:08 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Really surprised at the pressure washer reaction as its pretty much standard practice as described on Autopia/DW and is widely used by all professional detailers.

Moe Mistry recommends use of a PW in this thread:-

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...-question.html

A little care, ie fan spray, decent distance from the surface and you get a totally effective way of removing dirt before making any contact with the paint surface as part of the follow-on 2 bucket method. IMO much more likely to reduce the chance of swirling compared with a lower pressure hose that will not remove so much muck before you start wiping the paint surface with your mitt

What's the hang up?

m33
i've been watching this thread for a bit and i think the whole anti-PW sentiment is pretty ignorant. obviously if you keep the nozzle an inch from the body and blast into seams, you are going to damage the car's finish (and potentially the car itself). if you know how to use your tools, you'll be fine
Old 01-08-2014 | 01:20 PM
aelia
Advanced

Originally Posted by 991999R
i've been watching this thread for a bit and i think the whole anti-PW sentiment is pretty ignorant. obviously if you keep the nozzle an inch from the body and blast into seams, you are going to damage the car's finish (and potentially the car itself). if you know how to use your tools, you'll be fine
I would agree with this statement, I use a PW on flat black with no issues because I use it with caution.

Sorry OP, have not had that issue. Not sure its the washing...
Old 01-08-2014 | 11:34 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

LOL at all the anti PW folks. Most if not all pros use them. It's not like your using the paint removing stream head on your car. Pressure washing does far less damage than the initial swipe you'll make on dirt covered paint.

Quick Reply: Wash Issue