Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Built for Larger People, Cayman Built for Smaller People?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014 | 11:42 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by fast1
If you read the Christophorus magazine devoted to the 991 launch they state forth rightly that the new 911 longer, wider, design came from the fact that humans were getting larger, thus the need for a new 911 design. So, you can blame evolution for the 991. For as long as I can remember American manufacturers made each succeeding model larger than the previous. When the first Mustang came out in 1964 is was a compact, but by 1970 it was a mid size car. I don't think people got that much bigger in six years. I expect that there is a higher profit margin in larger cars.
A higher profit margin in larger cars? Care to explain that math?
Old 01-18-2014 | 09:26 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Americans have become larger over the years. Therefore, so have their cars.

Few will buy a car that makes them feel obese, even if that's what they are. Americans love anything that makes them feel skinnier, like a larger car will.

Market forces at work
While european cars have been larger over the last few decades, American cars have become smaller. Especially if you go back to the 50s and 60s. Americans themselves have become larger though, thats why we have so many SUVs on the road here.
Old 01-19-2014 | 03:43 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
A higher profit margin in larger cars? Care to explain that math?
It has nothing to do with math. It's all about what marketing believes the customer is willing to pay. Companies rationalize price increases by emphasizing that their cars are getting bigger. I suppose that message goes down better than by making the car smaller and charging more.
Old 01-19-2014 | 05:47 PM
Cal911
AutoX

Almost all manufactures are wanting to play in all segments. Porsche has 2 small sportscars..Cayman & Boxster and now they have a medium size GT in the 991. As you can see over the years with the addition of Suv's and a sedan, they want more market share. I was just reading where they're back to considering a smaller Panamera in the near future. Volkswagen wants to rule the world and expanding Porsche is just part of it.
Old 01-19-2014 | 06:09 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Fixed it for ya
Not sure that's quite fixed... If you look at medieval suits of armor, it's hard to think that today's obesity made people taller as well. Of course, more food certainly plays a role in expanding waistlines (as well as better overall nutrition, so more height), so I'm not discounting the role that a "bigger boned" society plays in buying bigger cars, but looking at the number of "I'm 6' 4" and used to hit my head" stories it's hard to just blame extra rolls of fat.

Quick Reply: 911 Built for Larger People, Cayman Built for Smaller People?