Power Steering Plus (658) for 991

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Spyder_Steph
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Plus (658) for 991

I am new in this forum.
Just placed a order for an 911-50 anniversary including option 658 - Power Steering Plus.
Is anybody out there with real life experience with this relatively new, rare option? Steering was a big topic when 911 came out, but I have not found a lot of information about the Power Steering Plus, yet.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Steph
I am new in this forum. Just placed a order for an 911-50 anniversary including option 658 - Power Steering Plus. Is anybody out there with real life experience with this relatively new, rare option? Steering was a big topic when 911 came out, but I have not found a lot of information about the Power Steering Plus, yet.
I personally don't like that option. Drove cars with and without and I certainly don't need it for parking. It takes all the feel (that's left) out of the steering below 80km/h (50mph). Above that speed, the option doesn't work. It makes the steering very light at slow speeds, a bit too light IMO.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 12-11-2013, 08:11 AM
lspain
Intermediate

I own a '12 991 with power steering plus. As you know, this option is designed to make steering the car easier at low speeds by providing additional power assist below 30 mph (might be 31 mph to be precise ). I have not done a side-by-side comparison of a car with and without this option but my car is well behaved as a daily driver in low speed driving, parking lots, etc. The "loss" of steering feedback is something the critics (and perhaps Suzy ) like to harp on but both my wife and myself do not have any problem locating the car precisely at low speed (or any speed). The heaviness of the 911 steering at very low speeds can be noticeable at times and this system does seem to help a bit. I do not think this is an 'essential' option but provides a modest improvement in certain circumstances (at a low cost in the Porsche pantheon of options ).

As an additional note, I have tracked my car on a couple of occasions and do not have any problem with the electric power steering system in general. It is possible, after reading about the improved feel of the new GT3 (with electric assist), that the 911-50 may have improvements to the steering system present in my car.

To sum this up, I suspect the power steering plus option slightly improves the 911 experience in urban driving and it does not detract from a 'spirited' driving occasion. Please post some pics of your 911-50 when you receive it.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Peronally I disagree that you can't feel it. You certainly can feel the difference and loss in steering feel when drive cars back to back. Also... For some reason the car doesn't feel like a sportscar anymore when driving in town (of course this is a matter of peronal taste).

On the other hand, if very light steering is what the OP likes when driving in town or when parking, the option is great. I didn't like it, but this doesn't mean that other people won't like it.
I agree however, that the electro-mechanical steering in the 991 isn't as bad as some people want to make us believe. It lacks some feel, compared to the 997, but it also makes steering calmer and therefore more comfortable (that's why I don't necessarily need the PSP).

It's not an option that is gonna ruin the car. Definitely not, but it comes down to personal preferences and in the end you will probably not regret checking that box. You're not gonna drive cars with and without PSP, back to back every day, so you won't notivpce the difference.

No worries... Just enjoy the car and post some pics!

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

I drove cars with both before purchase. If you will be parallel parking a lot, go for it. It couldn't hurt, may make it easier. If like me, you rarely if ever park in a place where anyone could possible back into to even touch the bumper with (gasp) their bumper, don't bother.

I could not detect the difference between PSP and a car without it.

...go for the heated steering wheel instead.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:53 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
I drove cars with both before purchase. I could not detect the difference between PSP and a car without it.
Moi aussi. My lot car has it, the first one I test drove didn't, and honestly I noticed nothing. I'd have to do a more detailed analysis under the conditions where Porsche claims it helps before noticing the nuances.
I wouldn't order it on a car, I don't think it's a value add.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have it and I have ZERO problems parking the car. I find the steering light enough as it is and would not want any more boost. My personal choice is don't get it. It was one the the VERY few options I didn't get on my 911/50.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I don't have it and I have ZERO problems parking the car. I find the steering light enough as it is and would not want any more boost. My personal choice is don't get it. It was one the the VERY few options I didn't get on my 911/50.
I have it...about as useful as an aluminum gas cap.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:23 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I would argue that the PSP "loss" of feeling is a false claim. Somewhat stronger steering assist at slower speeds due to a software tweak on same exact equipment -- not sure how this would translate to loss of feeling compared to non-PSP. I have not read anything that would suggest that the PSP adds more filtering than a non-PSP.

Preference thing, yes.

Also, I realize the GT3 steering has tweaked software compared to a Carrera, but the GT3 essentially has PSP, eh? "Electromechanical power steering with variable steering ratio and speed-sensitive power steering assistance"
Old 12-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not really an argument. It's a preference that costs real money. I'm just saying I like the normal boost as is. If the dealer told me they could change the software to add low speed boost for free I would decline. I find the boost to be very good for parking so I wouldn't want more......especially at a cost. If you like the extra steering boost thats perfect. That is what the OP is asking. As always, best advice is not to listen to me. Drive both and decide yourself. Most people who have it will defend it. That is no different than all the other threads like MT vs PDK. The MT people defend their choice and the PDK people defend their choice etc. etc. Drive both!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Spyder_Steph
Advanced

Thanks everybody contributing to my question. It sounds like that PSP is not really making a lot of difference to the steering.
My dealer had no car available with PSP, so I asked the forum.
Again, I do appreciate everybody's input, and I will post pictures of my 911-50 as soon as the car arrives (not soon enough)!.
By the way, full specification of my order is posted in the sticky area.
LOL
Old 12-11-2013, 11:00 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with Bacura. Nothing wrong with the stock steering !
Also, I prefer my steering wheel to react linear and always the same. Don't want it to change "rack ratios" on me while driving !
Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Steph
Just placed a order for an 911-50 anniversary including option 658 - Power Steering Plus.
Congrats on your new order!

I did not spec PSP on my order. Instead, I work-out 5 days per week. As you can see, I have huge arms.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 AM
j080808
Advanced

I have it on my 991 (dealer stock) and didn't order it on my 981. Complete waste of money, negligible extra work at low speeds.

Dealers love to push this option as a "must have" to appease the potential demographics. I think it's a rip off personally. I could see if they added additional hardware like an on/off switch, but charging that much to change the code...give me a break. What's next, the sunroof opens half-way but they offer an open-air option to make it fully retract? PSP should be a zero cost option.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

That is what the OP is asking.
As best I can tell "I have not found a lot of information about the Power Steering Plus, yet." is, well, asking for information.

"Drive both" is helpful advice, but also pretty obvious. I would suggest that driving both with more information for a better understanding is even better.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Plus (658) for 991