Help with configuration for a new 911 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help with configuration for a new 911 Carrera S

Here is how I'm planning on configuring the car:

Premium Package i.c.w Power Sport Seats (14-way)
Dark Blue Metallic
Leather interior in Black/Luxor Beige
Porsche Dynamic Light System
Park Assist (Front and Rear)
Headlight Cleaning Systems Covers painted in exterior color
7-speed manual transmission
20-inch Carrera S Wheels
Powers Sport Seats (14-way) wtih memory package
Mulitunction Steering Wheel
2 tone leather interior

Some options I'm considering, but am not sure about:

PASM Sport Suspension
Power Steering Plus
Premium Package Plus

I have to parallel park a lot and drive in parking garages and am for $270 I'm thinking the power steering plus would make sense if it actually helps at low speeds and doesn't ruin the feel of the car

I know the Carrera S has the "Sport" button already, so I'm not sure about the added benefit of the sport suspension. I see in the configuration it lowers the car, but is that only when you press the "Sport" button or all the time?

Without the premium package plus will the car open with keyless entry? From the website it seems like the "plus" will let you start with car without the key and open the door without taking the key out, which is not worth the money to me. Ventilated seats might make sense since I exercise a lot and get back in the car.

I don't care about the sound system, so definitely not getting that. Did I miss anything I'd kick myself for or are there any options that don't make sense. I'm definitely not getting an automatic sports car, as that completely destroys the fun of driving the car for me.

It's been a while since I bought a new car. What kind of discount off MSRP would be typical? No dealership near me has anything close to the configuration I want so I'd have to order the car through them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm excited, but also nervous about possibly buying the car
Old 12-29-2013, 05:20 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

PASM, chrono, PSE? I'd pick 2 of the 3 on an ordered car if my budget allowed.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Great build.
It seems pretty clear what you want.
SPASM just lowers the car an additional 10mm. I suggest no PSP unless you have some arthritis condition. It kills the steering feel up to 50km/h.
Do yourself a favor and test drive a PDK equipped car before placing your order, its no automatic slush box.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Considering a manual myself, combining it with chrono adds auto blip on downshifts in sport plus mode. Might be a combination option to consider.
Most of your choices are new for me too, so I'll be following the advice on it too.
A small additional thing; changing the rev counter to black instead of standard grey (while the rest of the instrument cluster is black in standard guise) is a 0$ option I just read about today.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Gcracker07110
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sports PASM, Sport Chrono and Sports exhaust are mandatory everything else nice to have 😄
Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spasm, sport Chrono and PSE are must have options in my view (and I drive a 7MT). I have premium package plus and think it's worth adding it as an option. While I do think that the features included in this option should come standard in a car at this price point, the fact is they don't come standard and the options do offer a lot of convenience. The ventilated seats in particular are excellent.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:13 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Sport PASM not only lowers the car 10 mm;it provides better handling and overall feel due to the stiffer shorter springs, and stiffer sway bars- at a bargain price. It also gives the car a killer stance that fills the wheel wells with the tires (especially if you also get the 5mm spacers). I find the standard power steering is very easy to use at all speeds so I would not get PSP. I have the premium plus interior package and enjoy the extra interior lighting. One thing really worth considering is the sport exhaust (PSE)- it adds a load of "sport" at the push of a button whenever the mood hits (which is most of the time for me).
Old 12-29-2013, 06:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

What chuck said. And black instruments. And smoking package.
Trips? Luggage net could be handy.
Definitely do not dismiss PDK without driving one. Probably the single best option there is.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I also love my PDK but it's not for everyone. The MT is equally excellent. The point is try it and see what is best for you. This is my 2nd PDK car and it's worth a test drive. The only option I would totally avoid is PSP. IMHO it is for small and very weak ladies. I don't smoke but the smoking package is free and I think the cover looks better on the centre consul.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Here is how I'm planning on configuring the car:

Without the premium package plus will the car open with keyless entry? From the website it seems like the "plus" will let you start with car without the key and open the door without taking the key out, which is not worth the money to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm excited, but also nervous about possibly buying the car
Entry and drive is a convenience thing where you can open/ lock doors, open frunk, and start car with key in pocket.

Fwiw, I like it and find it a 'chore' in my other car without it and have to take key out. I know, first world problem!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:11 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

Luggage net is a great suggestion as is the Tachometer in black and are free options I missed.

With PASM, is the lowered 10mm permanent or is it activated when you hit sport?

I didn't realize the sports chrono added rev matching on downshifts. Does anyone know how good this is? I saw Brian Cooley's cnet review of the new corvette and he said the rev matching was rather slow. Aside from that is there a noticeable fun factor difference in sport plus vs. if regular sport mode? I'm not planning on racing

I test drove a car with PDK and I kept reaching for the gear shift. Flipping paddles or having the car do it takes away the fun and excitement for me
Old 12-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers

With PASM, is the lowered 10mm permanent or is it activated when you hit sport?
Permanent. Got to watch out for scraping the chin spoiler.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I really have no idea why people are so negative on Power Steering Plus. I ordered it and would order it again. I've driven cars with it and without it and IMO the claim that it affects steering feel at a speed is phooey. It's noticeable in a parking lot and that's all. I like it. I am a track rat as well and am very cogniscent of steering feel.

Like anything, you should try it yourself before deciding.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 PM
zelig
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like the 18 way adaptive seats. I have had multiple spinal surgeries and find those seats make a big difference for comfort in my 991 daily driver. Check them out before you finalize your order.

The smokers package is free and adds an outlet. I agree with the black dials and prefer them.

I negotiated 6% off MSRP for a 2014 factory order. It took some effort and have bought several cars from my dealer.

Best of luck!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Fünfzig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

order a 50th, just as you spec'd yours (other than color).

Quick Reply: Help with configuration for a new 911 Carrera S