911 Carrera 4S spec - new to the world of ordering a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:02 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 911 Carrera 4S spec - new to the world of ordering a Porsche

Dear ladies, gentlemen,

A first time Porsche buyer (or is it orderer in this stage ?) reporting in.
Looking forward to your responses, because I’m not decided on a number of things and am looking for input.

Best regards,

Voltcontrol

My spec:

911 Carrera 4S
Exterior
Exterior Colour Sapphire Blue Metallic N1
Exterior SportDesign exterior mirrors 529
Wheels 20-inch Carrera S wheel 423
Wheel spacers, 5mm XRP
Windscreen with grey top-tint 567
Deletion of model designation 498
Engine
Sport Chrono Package 639
7-speed manual transmission 487
Interior
Interior Colour Standard int. /Sports bucket seats in leather Black AJ
Luggage net passenger footwell 581
Cruise control 454
Sports Bucket Seats P03
Smoking package 583
Centre console trim leather XHB
SportDesign steering wheel

Aftermarket carpets

Things I’m not sure about and/or would like your thoughts on:

To S or not to S?
That’s the question.
On 2 vs 4: I’m pretty sure a 4 is nice over here as it will be a DD in our rainy, dreary country. I also like the wider, ehr, rear on the 4. It will not be tracked.
Non-s could be an advantage in terms of running cost, but I’m not sure if the impact on running cost is significant enough. 4? … 4S? ...

MT vs PDK
I need to experience both in real life to form my opinion on these, but MT with the added throttle blip that sports chrono offers (It does not ‘blip’ without sports chrono, right?) seems right for me on paper.

Exterior colour
I never expected I’d be ordering a blue car, but it looks great in the configurator and on pictures. I do need to see colours in the flesh before ordering. My boyhood dream is yellow, I see a white one daily that looks amazing and a dark blue one with chrome window trim that looks very classy indeed, but not how I’d spec it.
White, yellow or sapphire blue.. Or guards red… Really need to visit a Porsche center I guess.

Exterior mirrors
The sportdesigns look great on paper/pictures but I need to see them in the flesh.

Bucket seats
One needs to check if they suit the person comfortably enough.

Sportdesign steering wheel
The most gorgeous steering wheel on any current production car? If there are definite reasons not to go for it, please talk me out of this choice.

Top grey window tint
Is this a useful option in your view? And if so, better to do it from the factory or aftermarket?

Phone
I use an Android or Ios(Iphone) device and will often call in the car, any option thats should be picked?

Smoking package
Is this a useful option in your view?

Wheel spacers
Factory or aftermarket in your view? And what’s possible/ideal in terms of mm and quality?

Other
Am I really missing something considering the rest of my spec? Any freebies that I should or should not select? Any option that is better to be done aftermarket?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

You can order sport bucket seats now? What country? Would have loved them in the US, maybe when the 3RS comes out is what we're told. Running cost between S and base is insignificant. No sport pasm?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Originally Posted by 008
You can order sport bucket seats now? What country? Would have loved them in the US, maybe when the 3RS comes out is what we're told. Running cost between S and base is insignificant. No sport pasm?
I should have specified my location; I'm in the Netherlands.
Also; I assume that the fact that they (Edit: They=Bucket seats) are available in the configurator means that they indeed can be ordered?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

while it is easy for me to spend your Guilder/Euros, I suggest you strongly consider the following:
Sport Exhaust
The "S" motor

-The Sport Design exterior mirrors look great...wish I could retrofit them to my car
-Smoking Package provides another power outlet (assuming you are not ordering it for the ash tray) - I'm one of the few that utilizes the standard "hole" as a coin cup.
-I have the Porsche 5mm spacers. Lots of people order thicker spacers aftermarket, but I tend to be a purist and will not put aftermarket modifications on my car.
-Although you are new to the forum and can therefore be forgiven just this one time, I fear you may have started another MT vs. PDK debate to which there is no end or answer : )
-So many of the choices are based on your personal preference, order what YOU would like. One of the beauties of Porsche is the designers really don't offer anything that is dis-tasteful or non-functional.

Get thee to a Porsche dealer and see as much as you can see for yourself before ordering!
Good luck, and enjoy the process!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 AM
LSV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colour is the most personal thing in car world. So go to the PCenter and look at samples, then decide.

In NL (a flat overcrowded area): no need for 4WD and I don't understand a never tracked DD with MT and P03 Bucket seats.
If you can afford an S, go for it. You don't need 400 HP anyway, but you'll like it...mentally. But the wider fendered 4s is something...

SPASM is a not so much seen option in Europe. Our US friends seem to choose it very often. I'd like to know if Porsche has a US-spec softer suspension like many other brands. A regular "Euro" PASM is already pretty stiff on "Sport" mode with a full speed tire pressure (2.2/2.7 bar). BTW the specific front spoiler is cool on SPASM and the higher leveled rear wing when open is perfect.

As written by Hammer911, it's really personal and you can't go wrong with a 911.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:18 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome! Love to see another petrol-head get into the Porsche scene.

As for the sport buckets... I strongly suggest you go visit the dealer, or call up (or make new) friends with examples to try. Seats are so, so very personal. My first GT3 came with standard seats, which I actually really loved while the car was a DD. Once I started tracking the car however, I swapped them for the sport buckets. You need to understand there are limitations with the sport buckets. The only adjustment is fore/aft. No height adjustment, no tilt adjustment, nothing. They are fantastic seats when you are in them. Getting in and out is another matter.

As an aside, I had them in my RS as well (it was a pure track car). However, in my C2S build, I went with the 18-way adaptive sport seats, since the car will be my DD and it won't see track action.

YMMV, but do yourself a favor and try them on for size.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll second about sitting in all of the seats. None of the Porsche seats seem to fit me well. They all seem to push my shoulders forward. Not uncomfortable but not ideal.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

I love Sapphire Blue!

Take a look at the thread below. I posted a bunch of pictures of my Sapphire Blue. The first page of the thread has pictures from my phone - the blue came out darker. Go to page 2 for more accurate pictures.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7786...fulfilled.html
Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

On the sapphire blue... I've always been a fan of medium blue sports cars but seeing the color in the flesh, I was disappointed. Very weak blue. Does not have the presence of aqua blue. But others love it. I would imagine if you like yellow cars, sapphire may be too calm for you.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello fellow Dutchie

Originally Posted by VOLTCONTROL

Things I’m not sure about and/or would like your thoughts on:

To S or not to S?
That’s the question.
On 2 vs 4: I’m pretty sure a 4 is nice over here as it will be a DD in our rainy, dreary country. I also like the wider, ehr, rear on the 4. It will not be tracked.
Non-s could be an advantage in terms of running cost, but I’m not sure if the impact on running cost is significant enough. 4? … 4S? ...
It may sound weird to some people here on the forum that a C4S is prefered in a "flat" country like the Netherlands, but 90% of 911s that are sold are C4 or C4S. And if you live in Limburg (where I was born) it makes even more sense because it is far from flat The AWD adds a little bit of extra safety and the car just looks perfect. The C4S is IMO the best looking 991.

Go for the C4S... you won't regret it. In terms of running costs in the Netherlands, it won't make much difference compared to a C4.

MT vs PDK
I need to experience both in real life to form my opinion on these, but MT with the added throttle blip that sports chrono offers (It does not ‘blip’ without sports chrono, right?) seems right for me on paper.
Very personal thing. for a daily driver I would prefer a PDK, but a manual is also a lot of fun. My Boxster is a manual and if I had to do it again I would buy a PDK. When I drive a manual, I sometimes miss a PDK, when I drive a PDK, I never miss a manual.
Try both and order what YOU like, not what other people like.

Exterior colour
I never expected I’d be ordering a blue car, but it looks great in the configurator and on pictures. I do need to see colours in the flesh before ordering. My boyhood dream is yellow, I see a white one daily that looks amazing and a dark blue one with chrome window trim that looks very classy indeed, but not how I’d spec it.
White, yellow or sapphire blue.. Or guards red… Really need to visit a Porsche center I guess.
Color is very, very personal and no one can really give an advice on this. Go to a Porsche Centre and order the color you like most. (You can of course always get PTS if you want)

Exterior mirrors
The sportdesigns look great on paper/pictures but I need to see them in the flesh.
A no brainer to me. They look much better than the standard mirrors. Only downside is that they are not powerfolded. They can be folded by hand though...

Bucket seats
I don't see the benefit of these seats in a daily driver that won't be tracked. they are not easy to get in and out and they aren't as comfortable as the other options you have. like always with seats.... try before you order!

The most gorgeous steering wheel on any current production car? If there are definite reasons not to go for it, please talk me out of this choice.

Top grey window tint
Is this a useful option in your view? And if so, better to do it from the factory or aftermarket?
Both no brainers. just do it

Phone
I use an Android or Ios(Iphone) device and will often call in the car, any option thats should be picked?
Option 619 Mobile phone preperation!
Regardless if you opt for the PCM (PCM is not a standard feature in the Netherlands) or not. You'll need this option in order to use bluetooth handsfree.
I personally would opt for PCM and option 666 (Telephone module), which includes Mobile phone preperation and gets you a SIM-slot in the PCM, that you can use with a dual-SIM. (not all mobile providers offer that possibillity, but almost all Dutch providers do. (I know, because I worked at Vodafone )

Smoking package
Short answer: YES!
it hides the weird hole in the center console and you'll get an extra 12V outlet and it's one of the few free options.

Good luck with ordering the car.

Groeten uit Zwitserland
Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Racing Yellow...
Old 12-28-2013, 11:56 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Top grey window tint
What is this? Is this a Euro option only? US too? Never seen it.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Spyder_Steph
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexVan
What is this? Is this a Euro option only? US too? Never seen it.
Yes, your are right. The folks in Europe (not sure about all of Europe) have to order the slightly darker upper part of the front window as an option.
It's a standard feature in US in all 911
Old 12-28-2013, 02:04 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

To S or not to S?
That’s the question.
Not to S. The C2 and C4 are soooooo fast to begin with !

Bucket seats
I tested all seats, but not the bucket seats, so can't comment on them. But for me 14-way seat with memory are PERFECTION ! I didn't like the 18-way adaptive sport seats.

a big YES for the sportdesign wheel, as the MF wheel is ugly and looks cheap-isch.

Smoking package
Have it, love it ... get it

Wheel spacers
Factory or aftermarket in your view? And what’s possible/ideal in terms of mm and quality?
Have the factory ones. Love them. Don't want anything non Porsche on my car so it was an easy choise. Get them, it's a subtle difference, but it is there !

Groeten uit België
Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Dear all,

Thank you for the advice and warm welcome here. I like the good spirit of this forum.
In a general sense your replies helped me learn more about the different points of view on certain topics and get a good sense what perspective would fit me best on things like seats, colour, horses, and such.

I’ll be treating myself with several visits to a Porsche dealership the coming weeks in order to get my senses involved in making the exciting array of choices definitive.

Best regards,
Hartelijke groet,

Voltcontrol

__

I did not quote everything, but some parts were standing out for a reply. So here goes;

-

Originally Posted by Hammer911
-Although you are new to the forum and can therefore be forgiven just this one time, I fear you may have started another MT vs. PDK debate to which there is no end or answer : )
I certainly didn’t mean to provoke beating-of-dead-horses so the forgiveness in this case is highly appreciated.

-

Originally Posted by LSV
and I don't understand a never tracked DD with MT and P03 Bucket seats…
In a sense I am not understanding this combination either, I’ll have to let the senses decide on these variables and their combination this while testing.

-

Originally Posted by LSV
In NL (a flat overcrowded area): no need for 4WD… But the wider fendered 4s is something...
As Suzy mentioned, most people here in NL go for a 4. The roads and fellow road users (re; overcrowded) can be rather treacherous over here in NL in rainy/freezing/misty conditions, plus those conditions are common.
Other than feeling safer as opposed to actually being safer in 4wd is something I cannot deny having that feeling too. I hope that test drives prove this to be fact rather or mental state in the case of a 911 in NL.
At least then I'll know if I choose to fool myself or not. From experience I did have definite benefits in 4wd from a (confession time?) Subaru Impreza in cold conditions, just pottering on while cars around me were slipping and having firm control while Autobahning.

My car will see the Alps or Pyrenees once or twice a year. But I’ll get to the Ardennes and Eifel a bit more often, love driving over there and hope to stretch the 4wd capabilities a bit more. I love mountain regions, so I’d wish we had the roads/nature that you Swiss are endowed with. You folks are truly blessed in that respect.

Originally Posted by Suzy991
And if you live in Limburg (where I was born) it makes even more sense because it is far from flat
I’m from- and living in Brabant. (On a side note; That you live in {…or near} the Alps as a Dutchie is/seems mighty interesting to me).

The nice driving bits of The Netherlands are indeed mostly situated in Limburg. I love just a few other roads in in our own country. National park De Veluwe and De Holterberg are particularly lovely. On De Veluwe blasting from Radio Kootwijk to Hoog Soeren through the moorland and dunes is brilliant and De Holterberg is situated +-70 meters above sea level and has steep sloping roads, which is rare for us poor flatlanders since most of our country is situated below sea level and has nearly no dramatical rises.

-

Originally Posted by LSV
SPASM
What's the SPASM/PASM difference? 10 vs 20mm lowering or more? Can't make this out fully from Porsches site/the configurator because if it is 10 vs20mm the 20mm option is not actually called SPASM in the configurator, hence my need for clarification.

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera 4S spec - new to the world of ordering a Porsche