Sponsored by:

Burmester Sound Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
You are short changing yourself with MP3 files-- compressed files, by nature, while convenient, are limited within the Hz band zone. You will not fully exploit the Burmaster system by using this source. Unfortunately, only the CD can (to a certain extent!) bring this system to life. Now, if you really want to explore the full potential of the Burmaster, get yourself an LP player, a phone amp, and listen to the music come alive. You will, of course, need to take out the front passenger seat, add a table supported by vibration eliminating supports, and secure the phone amp and turntable to it. It will look real nice, and anyone sitting in the backseats will undoubtedly acknowledge you as a true audiophile. Take pictures, too; we're curious as to how it comes out!
dying laughing! this reminds me of the top gear episode where clarkson turns the inside of a car into a victorian house...
Old 01-09-2014, 11:22 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineRallys
Audiophiles,

I just recently took delivery of my 991S that was equipped with Burmester sound. I am trying to determine what I should use as my primary music source and was hoping to get some input from the experts.

I had plan's on using a USB powered hard drive and loading it up with music that is high quality. If I just fill the drive with MP3's, will I easily be able to sort music? Does the system have genre filtering that you can enter in the properties of the file?

I have an Android phone and was hoping to not use that as my music source as it will be annoying having to connect and disconnect it everytime I want my music but read it has better sorting capabilities if you use your phone.

My last question is with regards to the setting's for the system. Are there "ideal" settings for certain types of music or for the system as a whole or would the stock settings be best?

Sorry for the "audio-newbieness"

Thanks all,
John
can it play FLAC files? if not, honestly, the porsche cabin isn't exactly designed for high fidelity especially at speed...i think if you rip at 320kbps from a lossless format, you'll be fine
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

IndyRob, thanks for that write-up. I will have to try out the DVD's you spoke about.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:47 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

IndyRob, terrific post. In my experience a lot of people have unwittingly short-changed themselves listening to MP3's. All the techno-talk sounds like babble and because they never connect the codecs to the quality they just get used to dreck. But the differences are HUGE! All my files are and have been uncompressed because I know better. But recently I downloaded some Doug MacLeod off Pirate Bay- one file FLAC, the other MP3. Terrific blues guitar, always impeccable recordings. Listening later while driving one great sounding tune gave way to the next track being this awful assault on my ears. Sure enough, it was the MP3. As much as I like the songs I just can't stand hearing them in MP3 corruption mode. All the time, energy, talent, love of music and yes money put into a good music system is utterly wasted with compressed files. Thanks for helping make this very important point.
And PS I am astounded so few cars are ordered with Burmester! Tragic, it is.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Use a FLAC lossless app for HD storage, or use your Android to store music as well, the Android supports this.
MP3 recording's are not HiFi.

P.S., Edit. Apple's Lossless app is excellent and the iphone 5 supports this.
This is an excellent recommendation.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyRob
Longer post, but it’s after a year of messing with the Burmester..so this is all I know.

Next I learned about HD Tracks site, that you can download files that in MP3 would be 3mbs, but these run 100 mbs. I got sucked in because it said, hey…you don’t need any other equipment, it will work with I-Tunes. It does work with I-Tunes, and you can download the mammoth uncompressed files into your library, but if you try to add them to your Iphone, or ITouch they are not compatible. It has something to do with you need a DAC converter. So then wanting to play the two albums I bought and downloaded I found out basically there might be a workaround by buying a little handheld DAC and hardrive unit that may work in the Porsche PCM via USB, or even headphone aux… but it was another $1,000 but I hadn’t found anyone who had actually got it to work. The other problem with HD Tracks is although their library is expanding, not everything is at the 24bit oversampling 192kbs rate, some is less than that which is till uncompressed and better than mp3’s, but what about all the songs I listen to the most?
So what works best for me at least for now is pretty easy is to make sure you go into your ITunes. Go to “Edit”, “Preferences”, “General”, “Import Settings” and take the default off 128kbs, and put on 320kbs. You can also check the VBR button. Variable Bit Rate is a way to let it stream at 320kbs but on quiet parts of the track it doesn’t keep the bit rate at 320 it can scale down and save space. I find most my songs average about 280, which is not a lot of space savings, but supposedly not really any loss in quality from the fixed 320 bit rate.
It sounds like you might be as crazy as I am when it comes to listening to well recorded music through an audiophile system. The dap I mention above is an audiophile dap and when paired with excellent headphones is the equivalent of a $100,000 home system. The advantage of this particular solution is that I can plug it into the audio input in the glove compartment, but also take advantage of the dap both in my home and on the go. It supports up to 24Bit/192kHz Bit for Bit Decoding and features the ES9018 32Bit DAC Chip. I download all of my HD tracks in aiff or flac, then drag and drop into the DX100. It supports other formats too.
As you said, HD tracks doesn't have a huge selection of music and the HD downloads are only as good as the recording itself, so I supplement with albums that I've uploaded to Itunes (alac). It's the perfect solution for me, but it's not cheap. I owned the dap before I bought the car so it's just another way to get well recorded music out of the excellent burmester.

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=78
Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM
RedlineRallys
Rennlist Member

Very informative posts! Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:47 PM
IndyRob
Advanced

Handful, thank you for you info on the ibasso. It looks like others have rated it very favorably. Here is a link of a blog discussing it. One question, can the USB connection handle the music input and keep it charged, I see it can go about 7 hours without a charge, or is no charging or playback through USB supported, you just set it in the seat or center console and connect with headphone aux?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604694/best...hz-flac-player

M.Schneider...your idea is a very affordable workaround, but it is possible that the limitations in Android downsample back to 44.1kbs, even if from the higher source. I don't know that aftermarket software can over-ride the limitations build into the JellyBean operating system, but not sure. Some of the android fourms are leading me to believe it's still much better quality to play a FLAC this way using WinAmp or something than the mp3's, but I don't think it will be the quality of something with a dedicated DAC chip like the Ibasso.

Chuck911, I will have to check out Pirate Bay, thanks.

Jlanka, let me know if you find any other good ones on Amazon!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:51 PM
IndyRob
Advanced

A 4 minute video about Burmester's new project with Mercedes. The top of the line is 24 speakers, 23 channels, and I think he's taken to a new level with 3D surround.

This guy makes it clear he founded company, runs company, does all the check signing and checks and cleans the bathrooms there. Everyone else is just on the line doing the tedious job of soldering the wires I guess.

Very interesting thought, and really makes you glad you got a Burmester in your car!

Also a quick video on history of Burmester. Very impressive.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:12 AM
IndyRob
Advanced

I found this link about DACs that you can put between your phone to play FLAC files.

http://www.stuff.tv/music/5-best-dac...mazing/feature

Also I found very interesting that the LG/G2, and the new Samsung Note 3 have internal DACs to handle 24bit/192khz. So possibly a new Samsung Note 3 with a 64gb micro SD hooked to the Burmester may be a good solution you if like the Phablets and ready to upgrade phones.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:40 AM
IndyRob
Advanced

Here is lower cost Digital Audio Player with a great brand DAC built in for $200.

You can read the reviews, it makes a huge difference in the music.

Amazon.com: Fiio X3 Mastering Quality Music Player w/ Wolfson DAC WM8740 24Bit 192K: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Fiio X3 Mastering Quality Music Player w/ Wolfson DAC WM8740 24Bit 192K: MP3 Players & Accessories
Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 AM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
You are short changing yourself with MP3 files-- compressed files, by nature, while convenient, are limited within the Hz band zone. You will not fully exploit the Burmaster system by using this source. Unfortunately, only the CD can (to a certain extent!) bring this system to life. Now, if you really want to explore the full potential of the Burmaster, get yourself an LP player, a phone amp, and listen to the music come alive. You will, of course, need to take out the front passenger seat, add a table supported by vibration eliminating supports, and secure the phone amp and turntable to it. It will look real nice, and anyone sitting in the backseats will undoubtedly acknowledge you as a true audiophile. Take pictures, too; we're curious as to how it comes out!
Go uncompressed (flac/loss less) for the added convenience of hi-fi quality AND being able to travel accompanied by a partner

m33
Old 01-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

I don't take possession of my 911 with Burmester until late April, so I'm confused about a few things that will probably become clearer to me then.

Assume that all of my music files are Apple Lossless (ALAC). For an iPod Classic G7, or separately, an iBasso:

1) How do these plug into the Burmester, using the device headphone jack, the device USB connection, or something else?
2) Which DAC is being used, that of the iPod/iBasso or that of the Burmester?
3) Does the car have a USB connection that powers the portable device, or does it need to be separately recharged, either by removing it from the car or powering it from a cigarette lighter charger?
4) Those of you who could choose one or the other, which would you pick, and why (based on sound quality and usability)?

The answers to these questions may be earlier in the thread, but without my car yet, I couldn't figure them out. Thanks for any guidance.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:51 PM
caneaddict
Racer

After my friend heard mine, he’s totally unable to even turn on his Lexus Mark Levinson, and is now on a nightly mission scanning auto trader looking for the cheapest entry point to Burmester. Actually I believe it would be the new Macan S at $49,900, and just order one option, Burmester for $5,700. If he goes the 911 route there are only 28 new ones, and 17 used with Burmester in the WHOLE country. That is covering 3 model years, 2012-2014. That is less than 1 per state, so few people have ponied up for them, and even fewer dealers get them. If you step up the Turbo S, other than some leather and carbon fiber choices, it’s about the only option you can add, for a very reasonable $3500. Still, I know a lot of those guys wives are willing to let them spend 182k, but not go the 185k, so they will have to pass.
where did you find a list of all new and used 911's in the country?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Handful, thank you for you info on the ibasso. It looks like others have rated it very favorably. Here is a link of a blog discussing it. One question, can the USB connection handle the music input and keep it charged, I see it can go about 7 hours without a charge, or is no charging or playback through USB supported, you just set it in the seat or center console and connect with headphone aux?
Hi Indy Rob - Yes it was through Head Fi that I discovered the Ibasso DX100, my custom in ear monitors from 1964 ears and my Senn. HD 650 headphones. This is an incredible sight with some very knowledgeable people. = $$$
The DX100 when plugged into the audio input in the glove compartment (not the usb + audio input connection that works with ipods, will not charge the DX100. It is of no concern to me becuase I will not listen to music for 7 hours straight. After all, we are driving a high performance car. However, if needed I could play 6 cds while the DX100 is charging. The audio system will use the internal dac of the DX100 which is outstanding (ES Sabre 9018 chip) and used in many high end dac players. It is very neutral sounding. I just leave the dap in the glove compartment. Hope this helps. By the way, the DX100 has a coax and optical out which would then use the Burmester's dac.

Quick Reply: Burmester Sound Questions