Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Design Aerokit Package vs. Duck Tail only

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Pez D. Spencer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I understand correctly, if you add the Ducks A-- without the front bumper, the balance will be off. But if you add the front bumper without the D.A., the balance will be OK?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:51 AM
MarkT
4th Gear

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Aaaaah! That's better. Screw it. I went with the front and back, and I must say that even though the front spoiler was an afterthought for me, I'm liking that front end better and better.

Beautiful car. I had the ducktail installed on my white C2S today. Unfortunately the brake light in the ducktail is not working. The job was not done by a Porsche dealer. After reading the instructions, and talking to the guys that did the install i determined that they did not have the code reader deal to update the code, so I am hoping a trip to my Porsche dealer 100 miles away will fix the problem. I dont want to sound disparaging, but I noticed in your pics that whoever installed yours apparently did not remove the brake light in the ventilation grill. Do both tail lights light up when braking? Also, do you know if they reprogrammed the code telling the car you have the fixed spoiler? I am trying to get is much info as I can to get my brake light working. Fyi, my car already had the sport design front end and I do love it too. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:04 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkT
Beautiful car. I had the ducktail installed on my white C2S today. Unfortunately the brake light in the ducktail is not working. The job was not done by a Porsche dealer. After reading the instructions, and talking to the guys that did the install i determined that they did not have the code reader deal to update the code, so I am hoping a trip to my Porsche dealer 100 miles away will fix the problem. I dont want to sound disparaging, but I noticed in your pics that whoever installed yours apparently did not remove the brake light in the ventilation grill. Do both tail lights light up when braking? Also, do you know if they reprogrammed the code telling the car you have the fixed spoiler? I am trying to get is much info as I can to get my brake light working. Fyi, my car already had the sport design front end and I do love it too. Thanks.
When putting the duck on, the grill light can get replaced with a black filler piece Porsche makes. That same light can go in the duck.

The grill light function gets replaced by the duck one.

All need to be programmed at the dealer. Done right, you should order a new switch control panel.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:27 AM
MarkT
4th Gear

Originally Posted by STG991
When putting the duck on, the grill light can get replaced with a black filler piece Porsche makes. That same light can go in the duck.

The grill light function gets replaced by the duck one.

All need to be programmed at the dealer. Done right, you should order a new switch control panel.
Yes, that is my understanding regarding the light. I was thinking you only needed the new switch control when installing the sport package front bumper. I will need to re-read that part of the instructions. you would think Suncoast would include that with the spoiler or at least advise you on the need for it.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 AM
MarkT
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MarkT
Yes, that is my understanding regarding the light. I was thinking you only needed the new switch control when installing the sport package front bumper. I will need to re-read that part of the instructions. you would think Suncoast would include that with the spoiler or at least advise you on the need for it.
Correction: A new control unit for air deflector is required for cars equipped with sliding sunroof.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:48 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche say re the SD kit that you can't have one without the other, but the GTS comes with SD front bumper as standard, and the ducktail as an option.

I'm not a physicist, but if this doesn't upset the balance of the car (and presumably it doesn't, or they wouldn't sell it), then I don't see how the front bumper can exert a necessary counterbalance on an otherwise unbalancing ducktail, especially as the air hits the front of the car first!

Hypothesis: both things look cool and do nothing.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:55 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Porsche say re the SD kit that you can't have one without the other, but the GTS comes with SD front bumper as standard, and the ducktail as an option.

I'm not a physicist, but if this doesn't upset the balance of the car (and presumably it doesn't, or they wouldn't sell it), then I don't see how the front bumper can exert a necessary counterbalance on an otherwise unbalancing ducktail, especially as the air hits the front of the car first!

Hypothesis: both things look cool and do nothing.
Your hypotheses is half right. They do alter the aerodynamics and affect lift and downforce. Since the non-ducktail cars also have spoilers (which have different angles of attack depending on how the factory sets them) it is not clear that the ducktail makes any marginal difference in reducing lift or adding downforce than the non-ducktail. But for sure the ducktail looks cool. Just look at STG911's avatar for proof.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Porsche say re the SD kit that you can't have one without the other, but the GTS comes with SD front bumper as standard, and the ducktail as an option. I'm not a physicist, but if this doesn't upset the balance of the car (and presumably it doesn't, or they wouldn't sell it), then I don't see how the front bumper can exert a necessary counterbalance on an otherwise unbalancing ducktail, especially as the air hits the front of the car first! Hypothesis: both things look cool and do nothing.
You can have the SD Bumper regardless. The standard spoiler comes up for downforce.

The duck is stationary and I believe gives more downforce the the standard automatic spoiler, hence the requirement that the SD bumper be used with the duck.

They have this stuff figured out by guys that know more than me about aerodynamics.

Driving around at 60-65mph you can have no bumper on there and get by. These guys figure this stuff out for what the car is capable of doing. Start hitting 120mph+, and some of these things may make better sense.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:22 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah yes, had forgotten the non-ducktail car has a thing that comes up at the back as well. Not sure I've ever seen one deployed in the wild!
Old 04-02-2015, 03:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Ah yes, had forgotten the non-ducktail car has a thing that comes up at the back as well. Not sure I've ever seen one deployed in the wild!
You're lucky, it's not a very attractive sight!

Some guys like to hit the button and have it popped up driving around town.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:34 PM
MarkT
4th Gear

Originally Posted by STG991
You're lucky, it's not a very attractive sight!

Some guys like to hit the button and have it popped up driving around town.
I agree. I did not like the look deployed, especially on a white car. May look better on black since the underside and mechanisms underneath are black. I like the look of the duck as you call it. But, the car is also beautiful without the duck and the spoiler down.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer
Do I understand correctly, if you add the Ducks A-- without the front bumper, the balance will be off. But if you add the front bumper without the D.A., the balance will be OK?
A 911 can never have enough downforce over the front of the car, given the weight dist the car already has...

having said that the car has aero "at all" because it adds to the high speed
stability of the car ... mess with the aero you either increase drag or worse
introduce lift (or lack/absence of downforce) that results in high speed
instability ...

here is an example of what happens when your aero fails:

and here...

ok I exaggerate ... but ...
Old 05-23-2016, 07:06 PM
midnight narwhal
Advanced

Originally Posted by Homeles