Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Plus (658) for 991

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Whatever. To the OP, I can't wait for you to get it to find out how it performs on the track. I won't be tracking mine but I'm excited to hear how yours performs on the track.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Spyder_Steph
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Whatever. To the OP, I can't wait for you to get it to find out how it performs on the track. I won't be tracking mine but I'm excited to hear how yours performs on the track.
I will not tracking either. I will probably delete the PSP option and safe the few bucks.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove a car with it and without it. I was very, very happy that my leftover 2012 991 had a bunch of options I enjoy and didn't have PSP. I personally would pay the $270 to *not* have it. I find the 991 steering quite good with zero play in the wheel, and don't see how additional boost would be helpful or desirable at low speeds. Just my take on it...
Old 12-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

My bad. I assumed you were a trackie because you ordered the fire extinguisher. If my car goes on fire I want to get out and let it burn to the ground. I don't want to put out the fire and have it repaired. Of course, for track use it's mandatory.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Tested PSP and non-PSP cars today and I'm still confused!!!

Just placed my 991TT order with PSP last week. I was not planning to get it but my dealer said it was a nice option to have. After placing my order I decided to do some research on it. It seems that there is a complete disagreement regarding this option. There were those who loved it, those who thought it did nothing, and those who thought the steering was over boosted with a Lexus like feel. All of these conflicting opinions promoted me to go test a car with and without it.

Both cars were C2Ss. I tested the non-PSP car first. Steering at parking lot speeds was firm but not overly so. It felt well, Porsche like, and reminded me of my old 997 targa4S but a bit lighter.

The PSP car is definitely quite a bit lighter during parking lot maneuvering which I kind of liked. However the PSP doesn't deactivate until 30mph. While playing with the wheel I did notice the PSP transition to normal steering feel at 30mph which was a bit weird. It's very abrupt but you probably wouldn't notice it unless you were in the middle of a turn or playing around with the wheel like I was. In addition, it almost felt as if the PSP car had slightly lighter steering at all speeds compared to the non-PSP car. I know this doesn't sound possible as it should be inactive above 30mph. I'm really thinking about removing it from my build but I'm still a bit on the fence. I think it would be a much better option if it was only active at parking lot speeds of say 10mph or less.

A couple of questions. First, I tested the PSP in a C2S but mine will be a Turbo. Can anyone tell me if the steering effort in the AWD cars is higher than the 2 wheel drive cars especially at slow speeds? Second, is the steering in general lighter on the 991s compared to the 997s? Anybody care to chime in? Thanks
Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
A couple of questions. First, I tested the PSP in a C2S but mine will be a Turbo. Can anyone tell me if the steering effort in the AWD cars is higher than the 2 wheel drive cars especially at slow speeds? Second, is the steering in general lighter on the 991s compared to the 997s? Anybody care to chime in? Thanks
Won't your Turbo also have rear wheel steering? Something to also consider.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Spyder_Steph
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
Just placed my 991TT order with PSP last week. I was not planning to get it but my dealer said it was a nice option to have. After placing my order I decided to do some research on it. It seems that there is a complete disagreement regarding this option. There were those who loved it, those who thought it did nothing, and those who thought the steering was over boosted with a Lexus like feel. All of these conflicting opinions promoted me to go test a car with and without it.

Both cars were C2Ss. I tested the non-PSP car first. Steering at parking lot speeds was firm but not overly so. It felt well, Porsche like, and reminded me of my old 997 targa4S but a bit lighter.

The PSP car is definitely quite a bit lighter during parking lot maneuvering which I kind of liked. However the PSP doesn't deactivate until 30mph. While playing with the wheel I did notice the PSP transition to normal steering feel at 30mph which was a bit weird. It's very abrupt but you probably wouldn't notice it unless you were in the middle of a turn or playing around with the wheel like I was. In addition, it almost felt as if the PSP car had slightly lighter steering at all speeds compared to the non-PSP car. I know this doesn't sound possible as it should be inactive above 30mph. I'm really thinking about removing it from my build but I'm still a bit on the fence. I think it would be a much better option if it was only active at parking lot speeds of say 10mph or less.

Thanks for your post. I guess deleting the PSP from the option list was the right thing.

Steph
Old 01-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

I don't think it would bother me if I was buying a dealer stock car either with or without it. But having to decide on whether or not to order it is just a PITA as you want you build to be perfect.
My dealer only had one car in his whole inventory without PSP.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

I was curious to know what percentage of dealer inventory cars have PSP. Looked at 3 large dealers each with >30 cars in stock. 80-95% of inventory cars had PSP. I guess if you definitely don't want you'll likely have to order the car.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:12 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

1900+ miles of driving without PSP and never once noticed a need for any assistance at any speed.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

The steering at low speeds is lighter in my 991 than my 997.2(both non-PSP). My dealer doesn't stock a majority with PSP but I can't tell you the exact percent. I prefer the non-PSP but the ladies seem to enjoy it. This is my 4th 911 since 1988. Each one seems to have lighter and lighter steering and it's one of the very few things I don't like. I like heavier steering all the time. My wife doesn't drive my car so it wasn't a consideration.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

Don't get it--very unlike Porsche and very much like Lexus. The abrupt transition at 30mph was a red flag for me... Less involvement = PSP = no thanks!!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:00 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

I agree but others like it. To each their own. Like always, there is a common theme. Those that have it stand up for it....those that don't stand up for their choice as well. Just like PDK/7MT....991/Vette....leather/houndstooth. It's all the same . You very rarely see people cheer for the choice they did not make. So, like always.....test drive it yourself and interpret everything you read with a grain of salt.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Spyder_Steph
Advanced

I appreciate that Porsche gives us the options to pick from. Other manufacturers don't give you a choice.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:34 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

^^^^ Totally agree. Test drive back to back and see for yourself. Is it a must-have? No. Is it a crap-option? no.

I have it and like it very much. I test drove both with and without extensively. I didn't even know it was an option until I accidentally test drove a car that I somehow liked better. It's pretty subtle. Could I live without it? Sure. I could also live with our electric windows, air conditioning and a radio. But I checked the box and have no regrets. It works as intended and is not expensive.

I'm also a track rat, PCA instructor, multiple Porsche owner and just plain picky. I'm quite sensitive to steering input and feel. I think that many people who say they feel a difference above 20-30 mph really want to find a fault for whatever reason. I don't. To me it's seemless. If it isn't, then something is wrong with the car you drove.

Seriously, you won't regret any boxes you check or don't check once you get your car. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Plus (658) for 991