Sponsored by:

991 driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:27 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zenspector
It was raining Friday, so I didn't drive the base 991 coupe w/ manual.
However, today was beautiful, so up I went to the dealership. My salesman said it had been PDI'd, but not detailed, but he had it waiting with over half a tank of gas, handed me the key, and said, "Enjoy yourself while I get some paperwork done". Needless to say, I did enjoy myself! For over an hour on all types of roads!
The more I drove the car, the more I smiled. The manual was smoother than the one in the S last week. The combination of the manual and the engine seemed perfectly matched. It just felt right in every way. At least for me.
They are detailing it out in the morning, and I am taking delivery tomorrow noon.
Photos will follow.
Thanks guys.
Cheers
Love my C2 MT, just a pleasure every time I'm driving it. Definitely a great shifting feel, and it's totally comfortable for me. (I'm 6'2", so maybe others saying it's not located as well for them are either a different size or have their seats adjusted differently, etc.?)
Old 11-19-2013, 02:13 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

If I'm reading the OP right, the initial question is why the 991 MT doesn't compare to the Boxster? I'm not surprised the whole thing went right off track into PDK land. But I am kind of surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious fact that the 991 gearbox has to be designed to handle more power. Bigger gears, more effort. Also, Porsche builds it stronger to handle the loads of track use. They don't talk about this much (read: at all) but they build a lot more durability into the 911. Finally, the mid-engine Boxster gear linkage is more direct than the rear-engine 991.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:30 PM
zenspector
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, too, grew up on a farm and the construction business, and I learned to drive anything my dad told me to. I loved learning to drive all those trucks and machines pretty much on my own. There is nothing quite like learning to prefect those engine/ transmission rev matches on an old Mack 600.

You would think I've had enough of manuals and three pedals, but there is nothing like the pleasure I get from driving a manual in a fine sports car, or my '61 Land Rover Series II, or my '31 Packard 840 Phaeton.

To paraphrase Kieron Fennelly in the current issue of Excellence; in a world which is determined to wrestle the driver's responsibilities away from him and invest them in electronic supervision, the manual is a potent symbol of a freedom that has almost disappeared.

Cheers.

P.S: Thanks chuck911 for those unaddressed facts.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:03 AM
zenspector
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELL, I finally took delivery of my new 991 Coupe: Agate Grey/Black with manual, Glass Sunroof, 911 designation only, Prem. Pkg. Plus, Bose, 20"-C2 wheels w/ painted crests, SD Steering Wheel, Sport Tips, Smoking Package, and that's about it.
All I can say is that I am glad I took the time to drive all the different versions: coupes, cabs, S, non S, manual, PDK, (even a TurboS-"WHEW").
For a daily driven car the base coupe w/manual was, to me, the best way to go. I am happier and more excited with this car than any I have owned since I bought my '79 911SC years ago. But that makes sense to me, since my 991 is just a far more refined and better equipped extension of the 911SC. Better equipped for daily use in today's world maybe, but as far as driving, they both give me the same thrill and enjoyment when I get behind the wheel. It was just what I was looking for.
As I said before, I will post photos.

Last edited by zenspector; 11-30-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:48 AM
yonkers
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats
Old 11-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Good for you! I am sure you will love it. I haven't taken mine out in a week (been out of town), but am looking forward to going for a spin today.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I too am in my 60s and drive a 991 with MT and love it. If anything, it isn't the manual that's annoying to me rather it is the gas pedal which seems too vertical and the uneven side bolsters in the 14 way seats. I got a great deal on the car and love it but in a year or two I will try and get a used 50th or a used 991 with some options that I miss such as the adaptive seats, sport exhaust and full leather.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:51 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

WELL, I finally took delivery of my new 991 Coupe: Agate Grey/Black with manual, Glass Sunroof, 911 designation only, Prem. Pkg. Plus, Bose, 20"-C2 wheels w/ painted crests, SD Steering Wheel, Sport Tips, Smoking Package, and that's about it.
All I can say is that I am glad I took the time to drive all the different versions: coupes, cabs, S, non S, manual, PDK, (even a TurboS-"WHEW").
For a daily driven car the base coupe w/manual was, to me, the best way to go. I am happier and more excited with this car than any I have owned since I bought my '79 911SC years ago. But that makes sense to me, since my 991 is just a far more refined and better equipped extension of the 911SC. Better equipped for daily use in today's world maybe, but as far as driving, they both give me the same thrill and enjoyment when I get behind the wheel. It was just what I was looking for.
Congrats. If you think you like it now, just wait til you and it are broken in. There is nothing like an SC. I had a 78 (very well prepared and for 30 years) and then a Boxter S, which did everything better than the SC. The 991 is in another dimension. I had it to the track once.; as fun but faster, everywhere. PS I am older than you. I am not going down that route again. No need to. Really....
Old 11-30-2013, 12:29 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats on getting a wonderful "next" 911. Agree totally with your assessment of the joy of the evolving 911 driving experience. I'm on my 8th 911 series car (69 S to my current 2007 C2S) and they keep on delivering the smiles. Also, this "old" guy still gets a thrill out of well executed series of up and downshifts on an MT car. PDK in my future; maybe inevitably, but not just yet.

Enjoy your new ride!

Quick Reply: 991 driving impressions