Sponsored by:

How to sell an almost new 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Cary_West
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to sell an almost new 911?

My dad passed recently and I really can't keep his car, a 991S. I bought his 987S when he got this one and for me the Boxster is a better fit for my life (32, no kids, gf loves the top down). Insuring the Carrera alone is going to murder my budget so I have to sell. My dad and I discussed this when we bought the car for him and we agreed that I should not keep it should he pass. The car is immaculate, but this isn't an ad (that's here)

I've listed the car on here, on 986forum, also on craigslist where I live (NYC) and where the car is located (near Memphis TN). I've never liked dealing with dealers, so I haven't looked at that route yet.

I've sold two of my Porsches before, but they were 10+ years old (986 and 996) and within many cash buyer's range. This car is a whole different deal. I'm really worried something will happen to the car (it's covered, insured, and stored in a climate-controlled garage in a nice area, but s#%& happens) before I can move it out. Original price on the car is 127k, and I am asking 105 because I've seen similar optioned cars asking 110-120 and I am looking for a reasonably quick sale.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2013, 01:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

So far you are doing it right.

Also consider eBay to "market" the car. Probably won't sell there, but will get the word out.

Your PCA local region news letter. Go to an event in your area (like Cars & Coffee) and have some sales sheets put together.

Network with friends, work colleagues, and neighbors. They might not be in the market, but they might know someone who is.

Pano magazine.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

I would try all the speciality websites like EBay,Cars.com and Autotrader in addition to what you've done already. I don't think Craigslist is going to help you too much,that's where all the cheapos hang(it's good for selling or buying cars 10K or below). Also I'd suggest not mentioning you're looking for a quick sale,you don't want people to think you're desperate and lowball you. Take your time,the right buyer will come along and it will most likely come from a site like Rennlist. Paying insurance for a month or 3-4 months is not going to make that much of a difference.

Just my 2 cents...

Beautiful car and GLWS!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:38 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Could try Excellence magazine also. GLWS.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:51 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 285 Posts

Condolences and good luck with sale. Suggest check the valuation sites like KBB and Edmunds if you haven't already. I'd also contact the closest Porsche dealers to the cars location and see what they would offer. At least then you have a floor and can consider how long you are comfortable waiting for the right buyer. I had to sell a 997 on short notice due to overseas relocation a few years ago and sold it here on rennlist. Got mostly spammers on autotrader. Again best of luck.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the pm. I'll chime in here since as a prospective buyer I've been looking a cars nonstop and can offer my perspective.

Brand new cars at 20K off can be found on 2013's (santa barabara porsche has 6 of them) which means for this car you're looking at 127K - 20K = 107K. Add the miles to it which probably lowers it by another 10K at least. Now the math only matters for a budget conscious buyer. If you wait long enough, if a person with big pockets has to have that car I'm sure they'll pay more for it but a buyer with big pockets can also just get a brand new car for not much more.

Tough selling point is the yellow color. It's harder to sell than a white/black/grey/silver car but there is a market for that. In the end it all depends on how fast you want to sell the car. The faster you want to sell, the lower the price it's got to be. Also I wouldn't discount what the dealer might offer for it. Doesn't hurt to call and see how much you could get from them. Could be substantial. Consignment at a dealer is also another option.

Anyway my thoughts and prayer for your father.

GLWS
Old 11-14-2013, 02:18 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry to hear about your father.

The single best way to get the entire world to know about your fathers car without spending any money is Ebay.

If you don't want to have to handle the transaction yourself I'd have the dealership your father purchased it from consign it for you. It was theirs and they can deal with it.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Cary_West
Advanced

I am certainly open to offers on the car. I'm not looking to sell it quick due to money concerns, but rather because I don't want anything to happen to it in the meantime since I am not in town with the car.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Trade 'em both on a Turbo S cab - hey, you only live once!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Dad...good suggestions here though.

AutoTrader, CACars.com, this and other forums.

Good luck.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-14-2013, 03:39 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Trade 'em both on a Turbo S cab - hey, you only live once!
Winner!

Sorry to hear of your father's passing.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 PM
yonkers
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
Thanks for the pm. I'll chime in here since as a prospective buyer I've been looking a cars nonstop and can offer my perspective.

Brand new cars at 20K off can be found on 2013's (santa barabara porsche has 6 of them) which means for this car you're looking at 127K - 20K = 107K. Add the miles to it which probably lowers it by another 10K at least. Now the math only matters for a budget conscious buyer. If you wait long enough, if a person with big pockets has to have that car I'm sure they'll pay more for it but a buyer with big pockets can also just get a brand new car for not much more.

Tough selling point is the yellow color. It's harder to sell than a white/black/grey/silver car but there is a market for that. In the end it all depends on how fast you want to sell the car. The faster you want to sell, the lower the price it's got to be. Also I wouldn't discount what the dealer might offer for it. Doesn't hurt to call and see how much you could get from them. Could be substantial. Consignment at a dealer is also another option.

Anyway my thoughts and prayer for your father.

GLWS

Firstly, I'm sorry for your lost.
Second, I agree with with BM on this. I'm currently in the obsession phase and have been researching very similar specced cars with similar mileage and I'm thinking you're off at least $10k.
BM spoke on the color and expediency affecting the price you will get so I won't talk about that. I'm not sure it's happening or not but I had originally assumed there would be more used cars as people picked up 2013s or 14s at year end. But I've only been really searching the last couple of months and can't say if I've noticed an increase in # of cars or not. But something to consider.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your father's passing.

The car is Tip and not PDK?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry about your loss and hopefully all the good memories will help you through this. With respect to the car you are going to find that selling the car yourself will be difficult, inconvenient and probably not financially fruitful. Fact is that you will have to be very lucky to find someone looking for that particular car and willing to go out of their way to buy it. This is a bad time of the year to sell a car like this anywhere other than warm parts of the country. Fact is that dealers will get more than you will and buyers will usually feel more comfortable dealing with a dealer on a car at this price. Believe it or not cars bring really good money at Manheim high line sales as there are many dealers who are potential buyers for the cars and they often have customers looking for a particular car. The Orlando and West Palm Beach sales will be best since they have dealers who are now coming into their selling season. You should try and find a wholesaler who is willing to bring it there for you in return for a fee and get the sale done. And no, I am not such a dealer nor will I recommend one to you but I am confident that it is the best way for you to get it done.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry about your loss. Dealer will knock another $5K - $7K down just because it's RY. Yeah, the black/silver is "easier" but all you need is one buyer who wants RY. Just be patient and good luck.

Quick Reply: How to sell an almost new 911?