Sponsored by:

Touchless car wash and cab roof

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 03:56 PM
GMAC03
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touchless car wash and cab roof

Winter is coming and can't spend the time to wash and rinse in the driveway.

Has anyone gone through the modern touchless car washes. ie car on a conveyer not a track, or it sits still while jets move around car.

Concern is for pressure to cab roof
Old 11-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Kathuat
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMAC03
Winter is coming and can't spend the time to wash and rinse in the driveway.

Has anyone gone through the modern touchless car washes. ie car on a conveyer not a track, or it sits still while jets move around car.

Concern is for pressure to cab roof
I think recommendation is not to take cabs through car washes. If it was my car, I wouldn't do it. Too much can go wrong and I don't want to be in that position. Take it somewhere where they would hand wash it.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:18 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

All the forums seem to have the "automatic car wash" question popup from time to time. You own a very fine automobile, if you choose not to wash it yourself you have one of two options:

1. Put it through a machine and live the the consequences.

Remember ... even if the automatic machine was designed and tested not to cause damage to your fabric covered roof, not to overpressure your door and window seals, etc., the machine you're about to put your car through isn't guaranteed fresh from the assembly line and is being maintained by a guy whose primary customer thinks of his car as a necessary evil to get from point A to point B and on occasion likes to have the dirt knocked off. You're taking the chance with your car and it is highly unlikely that any damage that occurs as a result would be covered by the proprietor.

2. Pay for a hand wash

There are still car washes that will do a hand wash. Better still, find a reputable mobile detailer in your area and pay a few dollars to have a top notch hand wash done. These guys have a reputation to maintain and their clientel has much higher regard for their automobile. After a solid job they are looking for you to spread word of mouth that they are reputable and responsible.

During a typical week two or three different detailers show up in the parking lot outside my building, the owner meets them with the keys and they go off in the corner of the parking lot and return with your squeeky clean automobile. At least one of them has a huge onboard water tank and literally needs nothing at your site to perform a thorough wash. These guys also perform a number of deeper detailed tasks on request / direction vaccuum, wax, specific window cleaning, tire dressing, etc. Some higher end guys are true detailers and can perform modest paint restoration (polishing), headlight restoration, etc.

Ryan
Old 11-08-2013, 04:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

We talked about this a couple months ago:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7785...a-991-cab.html
Old 11-09-2013, 09:58 AM
GMAC03
Advanced

advise from a detailer:

-coin op wash to get heavy dirt, don't use brush just some foam and rinse

-Bring back to garage and use Optimum No Rinse wash detergent, 1 bucket full and 2 oz, 1 bucket clean water to rinse ( product says you don't need to rinse but he suggests it )

- leaf blow & micro fiber dry

- Will try tomorrow if it stops snowing
Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 PM
GMAC03
Advanced

Just tried the Optimum, works well, doesn't foam. Garage floor is wet , threw a fan on to dry it.

PS: my OCD over my first Pcar and first black car is creating a large carbon footprint
Old 11-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Norman75
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm pretty certain the owner's manual indicates not to pass a cabriolet through a car wash.
I think the recommendation is to try to avoid as much as possible to wash the fabric roof with any kind of soap but rather to use a soft brush to clean the fabric.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:11 PM
mgent
Instructor

Did an automatic/no touch in a 997.1, and the pressure forced water through the roof/window joint. Not a lot, but some... haven't been in one since.

Quick Reply: Touchless car wash and cab roof