Sponsored by:

Touch less car wash for a 991 cab

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touch less car wash for a 991 cab

Although I enjoyed washing my cabriolet on a weekly basis by myself, there are times when I needed her to be clean in a hurry to head out.

Is it safe to use a touch less car wash from time to time? I am more concerned about the fabric convertible top getting ruined by the soap they use at the car wash. Or am I a little paranoid?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not do it because of the top that you mention and the high pressure wash and cheap soap removing my wax.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Drive it dirty, until you can properly wash it. In addition to JamesKen's notes, I'd add, concern about the wheels and low profile tires in their track system.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A friend of mine owns a carwash and told me the obvious: you need one of two things to get the dirt off a car, friction or solvents. Touchless car wash has to use much harsher detergents to make up for the lack of friction.
I agree with LexVan...drive it dirty if you have to.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:36 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used them on my Bentley GTCs & my R8 Spyder and never had a problem. I, too enjoy washing my cars and using de-ionized rinse water, blower to dry, etc., but an occasional touchless car wash is no big deal, IMO.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
Drive it dirty, until you can properly wash it. In addition to JamesKen's notes, I'd add, concern about the wheels and low profile tires in their track system.
At least the touchless car washes in my area have no wheel nor track. I just drive in, put car to park and the robot arm goes around the vehicle spraying water and soap. Then I drive through 3 big air blowers at the exit. Looks inoffensive. I guess I'd stay away as much as I can.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:03 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

I used them a couple of times while traveling out-of-town. On my previous cab, I did have a mishap, where the water pressure slightly changed the drivers side window seal. The window leaked from then on, with any rain or when washed(by hand). Had seal replaced under warranty, which resolved it.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 456 Likes on 202 Posts

Noooooo! How could you even think of using any car wash. I agree, drive it dirty. Just remember it got pretty dirty in that cargo ship and it's clean now

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 09-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 440 Posts

One other point, all car wash places recycle their water. Most thru just a sand filter, so the PH of the water goes out of sight. Removes the wax along with a little dirt.

Drive it dirty!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:16 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgam
At least the touchless car washes in my area have no wheel nor track. I just drive in, put car to park and the robot arm goes around the vehicle spraying water and soap. Then I drive through 3 big air blowers at the exit. Looks inoffensive. I guess I'd stay away as much as I can.
The touchless wash near me is the same system. However, last time I used it (on my 996 TT Cab) too much water got into the engine area and it took a while to dry out and run properly. Don't use it anymore but have found a hand car wash not too far away (no tracks and everything by hand) so tend to use that now.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd vote for driving it dirty. The touchless car washes use a more vigorous chemical agent in the cleaner since there is no physical agitation to remove dirt. That'll strip wax, and who knows what it will do to your cab top.

Could you just use a spray quick detailer and microfiber towels for touch-up cleanings to remove dust in between washes? That's what I do and my car is clean every day.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Repeated exposure to soaps on our cabriolet tops is murder on them. Mine might see soap once every two years, and that's only to prep it to receive the Ragg Topp Protectant.

If my car was on fire, I just might consider running it through a car wash.

Quick Reply: Touch less car wash for a 991 cab