Sponsored by:

Using the slime to fix a flat

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM
yorkmed
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Using the slime to fix a flat

I recently hit an object in the road and cut the tire sidewall. This happened in a remote area with no cell service. I also bent the wheel.

Proceeded to repair the flat with the supplied slime. It took several stops to refill the tire with air, but was able to limp home. I was lucky.

If the cut were any bigger, I'm afraid that I would have been stuck.

I am now also carrying a few rubber repair "ropes" to try to repair a larger cut. Thought it might work with the slime to stop the leak.

Does anyone have any tips for repairing a tire in this situation?

Thanks.

PS: The tire and wheel insurance that I bought with the car has paid for itself.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:32 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sales guy told me not to use the slime to fix a flat as it can damage the rim (not an issue here for yorkmed). Anyone had any problems with the slime and damage?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry to hear.

And thanks for reporting about using the slime.

Every time I open the frunk I look at that kit and ask myself... when?

If the damage is on the sidewall most likely they won't attempt a repair. At least most of the tire shops around here won't. Too much liability. Some won't even repair a tire any longer even if the puncture is in the middle of the tread. They just want to sell a new one.

Hope they can repair the wheel. They can do wonders these days.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:53 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I suggest that everyone should carry a plug kit and know how to use it. It will temporarily fix anything short of a catastrophic blowout or sidewall tear. The slime won't damage the rim, but it will make a huge mess that the tire shop is going to be loathe to have to clean up.
A plug kit and the onboard pump should get you mobile to more permanent help 90% of the time if you're somewhere where waiting is a hassle.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:14 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had a very slow leak, so small that at first the dealer couldn't find it when my car was in for a service. It was a new tyre and was loosing about 5 or 6 psi a week. I used the fix a flat product and have not had any issues. Back in my motorcycle racing days we used to use the product not to fix a flat, but to balance a wheel with a new tyre if we were in a rush. It took a lap or two for the stuff to circulate but after that the wheel was balanced.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:21 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Used it in the tires of my mountain bike to prevent a flat.

If my car were to have a flat, I'd call for a flat bed truck. No screwing around with the rims, tires or the extended warranty i purchased for both.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Used it in the tires of my mountain bike to prevent a flat.

If my car were to have a flat, I'd call for a flat bed truck. No screwing around with the rims, tires or the extended warranty i purchased for both.
There's always a finite risk of damage when towing one of these cars, so I would treat that as a last resort regardless of the warranty status.

I wish they still had spare tires, but nobody asked me...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:19 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

A plug kit is a great idea. Even if you have a spare it's easier than changing a tire. I have one in every car and on my motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Using the slime to fix a flat