Sponsored by:

Thoughts on additional cooling

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:48 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on additional cooling

Has anybody installed the 3rd radiator on their 991? I am considering it as I frequently track the car and can't see any downside to additional cooling, although I have yet to have a problem with oil or water temp, even when ambient temps are in the 90-100 range.

Was also looking for additional brake cooling. I removed the backing plates when I changed the rotors and pads, although I am not sure if this makes a big difference or not.

Lastly I wanted to share that I recently got an System Cooling error when a vacuum hose that controls some sort of exhaust valve came off. The car did not run hot and the dealer took car of it, but I learned that the exhaust system is considered part of the cooling system.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You said you had no problems with over heating. If it's not broken I wouldn't fix it. I am guessing that adding the third radiator from Porsche would not be cheap. I would be interested in the quote the dealer gives you.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:50 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What backing plates did you remove? The 911 already features brake ducts and cooling, I hope you didn't remove a part that's important to that cooling!
But the radiator itself is about $300-400, install should be somewhere around there too. You also should get a center mesh grill (not sure why they don't come with one for all the radiators). I'm assuming total parts and installation (including the mesh) would be around $1300 OTD.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:50 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What backing plates did you remove? The 911 already features brake ducts and cooling, I hope you didn't remove a part that's important to that cooling!
But the radiator itself is about $300-400, install should be somewhere around there too. You also should get a center mesh grill (not sure why they don't come with one for all the radiators). I'm assuming total parts and installation (including the mesh) would be around $1300 OTD.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:22 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those backing plates protect hoses and brake lines from heat off the brake rotors when they get hot. I would not remove them.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

$1300 seems cheap for anything from Porsche. If they can do it for that little then go for it but I'm still not sure why since your car doesn't run hot.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Certified Prime, the brake lines come into the caliper above the backing plate and would not be impacted by their removal. What I removed is a very thin aluminum shield that looked to protect the rotors from gravel and such (no sign of any ducting capability), although it is possible that it does some small job in keeping heat away from the suspension bushings that are behind it. Given the heat that comes off the brakes after a track session, I am doubtful that those thin sheets of aluminum have much insulating ability but I could easily be wrong. I don't recall any other lines being in the vicinity, but will look more closely next time I am in there.

The radiator is about $700 from Suncoast, so I would agree it would probably not be less than $1,300 for installation and the required fluid. Could be more. I was just wondering if anybody has some experience with it.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on additional cooling