Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I did was making a sarcastic comment to another pointless thread. And I meant what I said...

It is ancient technology and the fact that the manual is gonna disappear is no news. We all know that for a while now. Porsche is one of the last sportscar manufacturers that still offers a manual. (That's why I said, wake up! Everyone that doesn't know this has been sleeping the last couple of years)

I didn't say anything about what is better or worse. There is no better or worse, like I said several times in this thread.

And if you wanna whine, nothing wrong with it... It just ain't gonna help a tiny bit, so it's wasted energy, that you better spend on somethimg that makes you happy instead of grumpy. (That's free advice )

Like I said a couple of times now.. I have no intention to offend anyone, I just give my opinion. If one doesn't like that, than you're probably in the wrong place.
It's a forum and there are people giving comments on numerous things. Not everybody has the same opinion on every subject.

Oh and FWIW: I respect all your opinions. I even understand why people are sad about the fact that the manual is gonna disappear (Even I feel a little bit sad about it), but that doesn't mean that it is the end of the world.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-30-2013, 03:06 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sigh...........
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
. . . . the fastest way to get your car around the track is to give to a professional race car driver. No thanks. I would rather be several seconds slower and enjoy the experience.
. . ..
So many signature worthy quotes on this forum.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:13 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I think Porsche dropping manuals across the board is a few years off at least. Good news for me is that means I won't feel compelled to buy a new one again.
Dude Porsches NOT gonna like that.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I don't understand the debate, really. Why do we buy Porsches? Because their goal has always been to build the very best sports car they know how to build at any given time. When asked what the best Porsche was, Ferry was known to reply, "The one that the factory is building now."

At the same time, as Suzy pointed out, the 911 has a fifty year heritage as the sports car that does everything. Unlike most sports cars it's as surefooted in the rain as most conventional cars, and you don't have to park it when the snow starts to fall. You don't have to leave it at home when you have more than one passenger. The engine is among the best you can buy -- but so are the headlights and wipers. If Porsche had a corporate motto, it would be something like, "Performance without compromise." Some models of Porsches have come closer to that ideal than others, but the overall philosophy is not debatable.

Now, note what is missing. Terms like "feel" and "involvement," however you define them, are not part of Porsche's corporate mission. They never have been, except to the extent that they coincide with the goal of building the best possible car. When viewed under that lens, PDK wins. A car with PDK is better than an otherwise-identical one without. Why? Because it more effectively satisfies the performance-without-compromise criterion that has guided the company from Day One.

In summary, don't shoot the messenger. Porsche's philosophy doesn't invalidate anyone's desire for a stick shift, or their opinion that a car so equipped is "better" from their own perspective. But it does tell you which way the wind is blowing. A better sports car, as Porsche defines it, is one that maintains leading-edge performance while demanding fewer compromises. If that's not your definition then you need to look at older cars, or cars from other manufacturers.

We're lucky to live in the "good old days," where there are very few genuinely awful cars for sale. You have a lot of options. If Porsche doesn't build exactly what you want, chances are someone else does.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
snip snip

If Porsche had a corporate motto, it would be something like, "Performance without compromise.".
Porsche does have a brand modifier:

“PORSCHE. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.”
Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just checking in... yup, still going strong. LOL!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Did we just discover the secret to the perpetuum mobile ?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by david
Porsche does have a brand modifier:

“PORSCHE. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.”
That, too.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 PM
zelig
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The automatic transmission actually was invented in 1894 and widely available by the 1940s. So this business about automatics being so "modern" is not based in fact. Sports cars have kept manuals have used them for driver involvement. Porsche is pushing their PDK for economic reasons. Their "shut up and drive it" is not a customer focused approach and may hurt Porsche in the end. It ignores a large segment of their US market who prefer manuals. I drove had a loaner with the PDK and was underwhelmed. It removes a key element of the driver's control and experience. If you prefer PDK OK, that should be your choice but manuals are not archaic by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay MT'ers. Hang in there. Having less around might make them more valuable in future. Just bought a '66 Vette and paid a premium for 4-speed manual. And not to stop this momentum, although Suzie has her final opinion and one not to offend, so does everyone. Mine is MT's are more fun. So what?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Manual because race car.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Manual because race car.
Porsche invented and successfully used PDK for race cars 15 years ago, and features hydraulic shifting sequential shifting via paddles in its latest race cars. So I think its more like manual because nostalgia.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I want to go back to the op thread, and not to debate manual vs pdk....

I still don't believe Porsche gonna stop producing manual, some models but not all, I can understand track specific models but now everyday kinda car like the cayman and regular 911. Just my opinion, they still want to keep their traditional porsche fan/customers. Make sense business wise.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PDK is my choice.

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Manual because race car.
That's a joke right? The 991 is NOT a race car. It is at best a sports car bordering on GT. That's OK because I don't want a race car. I hope the GT3 RS comes with MT for the track for all you budding Vettels out there. The original PDK goes back MORE than 15 years ago. It was used in the Can-am race cars in 1984/85. Drivers like Donohue and Redmond used it. The reason it did not appear in road cars till 2009 is because they were too large. Technology/computerization has allowed them to be in road cars. I fully understand why there are people who want MT. I drove MT for 25 years. But DON'T tell me it's not in keeping with the sports car/race car experience. Do you understand that F1/Indy cars haven't used MT in over 15 years? My new 911/50 arrives tomorrow with PDK/PDCC/SPASM/PCCB. All high levels of technology. Retro is nice for some people. I just perfer cutting edge technology. When I drive, I won't say I miss MT....I'll say this is what Sebastion Vettel uses...or I'll say Ferrari has totally abandoned MT...or maybe I'll say that this is faster than MT and allows me to concentrate on other aspects of my lesser driving abilities. G-D forbid, maybe I'll say that a new Vette would be awesome with this tranny but GM can afford to put it in their new best sports car. Either way, MT is great for those that want it but I like looking at '63 Vette's....not driving them.

Quick Reply: No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?