Sponsored by:

MultiFunction vs. paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
I said just that in my post and I have said it before. Not only did I test drive cars with both the types, I chose the toggles on a car I ordered to spec. I love them. More every day. They are a BRILLIANT user interface which remains under appreciated and better than the paddles as implemented by Porsche. The only thing better is paddle shifters on the COLUMN, not the wheel.
I respectfully disagree if you don't mind.
Ever driven a Fiat 458? Or something similar with the paddles on the column? Paddles belong on the steering wheel, not on the column.
It's debatable if it is better when driving on a track, but 90% of 991 buyers (excl. GT3) rarely visits a track and for those few times they do visit a track, the paddles on the Sport Design steering wheel are just as good if not even better. On the road, the column-paddles suck.
It's one of the reasons why I wouldn't buy a Ferrari... (besides the other 128 reasons)

The SportDesign wheel is IMO the best option Porsche offers at the moment, although still a cheap looking and not verry pretty steering wheel (the stitching option covers this a little bit). I hope they will soon introduce the steering wheel based on the 918, with MF and paddles and good looking. Macan will probably be the first to get it and hopefully it can be retrofitted on other models.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-29-2013, 03:43 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Im been pounding the table for porsche to offer a mf paddle! Rumors has it that the macan will offer this.
The 918 does have the paddle shifters with a MF wheel. Buy a 918, have a good mechanic rip the steering wheel out of one have it retrofitted to your 991. It's only money. Problem solved.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

The 918 does have the paddle shifters with a MF wheel. Buy a 918, have a good mechanic rip the steering wheel out of one have it retrofitted to your 991. It's only money. Problem solved.
Whahaha!
One problem... I don't want a 918 (don't like the car very much) and I certainly don't want one without a steering wheel!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Looking forward to ordering cars with the Sport steering wheel with paddles AND MF next year!!! About time!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hmmm? the 918s wheel does have the "over boost" button right?

I can imagine that option on the configurator:

"918 LOOK Steering Wheel" * USD 5,000

* requires "918 package" add USD 30,918
Old 10-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kosmo
hmmm? the 918s wheel does have the "over boost" button right?

I can imagine that option on the configurator:

"918 LOOK Steering Wheel" * USD 5,000

* requires "918 package" add USD 30,918
LOL!!

Let's hope the 918-package doesn't include a hybrid system!! I don't want a 911 hybrid!
or is that an additional EV-package?? $ 25,911
Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
LOL!!

Let's hope the 918-package doesn't include a hybrid system!! I don't want a 911 hybrid!
or is that an additional EV-package?? $ 25,911
Dammit !!!! And I really wanted the PTS battery pack and the electrical cable insulation in Two tone Espresso/ Cognac leather.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Dammit !!!! And I really wanted the PTS battery pack and the electrical cable insulation in Two tone Espresso/ Cognac leather.
Accupacks only come in Lithium Silver... No PTS available... i'm sorry

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Accupacks only come in Lithium Silver... No PTS available... i'm sorry

Suzy (via iOS app)
Eric can fix that.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 AM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went for the look to be honest. I did like the paddle shifters better as well but I just like the sport wheel's clean design. If I think about it (after the fact) I rarely use steering wheel buttons anymore. On other cars that is. So I am glad I went this way. Plus the little control arm on the right side does a nice job, it does everything I need.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 PM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

I said just that in my post and I have said it before. Not only did I test drive cars with both the types, I chose the toggles on a car I ordered to spec. I love them. More every day. They are a BRILLIANT user interface which remains under appreciated and better than the paddles as implemented by Porsche. The only thing better is paddle shifters on the COLUMN, not the wheel.

Well, I think you just may be in the minority my friend...

And while I have read that some (oh wait, one post... uhhh I guess that was yours) love their toggles, the majority (NOT all...) seem to prefer paddles. I know I sure did when I drove them both. In fact, the more I drove with the toggles, the more I liked the paddles.

AND IMHO, the only thing better than toggles or paddles is a good ol' manual transmission!!! (sorry... I couldn't resist...)
Old 11-01-2013, 02:50 AM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Just J
I test drove both. I found the buttons annoying in that frequently when turning the wheel I would inadvertently press one of them. The paddles were far superior - no false activations.

The trade off, of course, is that with the paddles you can't get a heated steering wheel, or a wheel that has wheel mounted controls for phone, audio, etc. I get it - one is for the "GT" crowd, and one is for the "Sports Car" crowd. Some of us (OK, me) are constantly looking to combine the best of both worlds, and a heated multifunction wheel with paddles instead of shift buttons/toggles would be ideal for me.

Although I do admit, I really like the look of the Sport Design wheel.
Another + for me on the heated wheel, it's really nice in the winter and works great. Have had no problems accidentally hitting the shift buttons.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:56 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the paddles you will use them more. Drive both and you may conclude the buttons are less intuitive. The pdk works well in manual mode when you are feeling frisky.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I actually think my buttons are more intuitive and I have another car with paddles so I DO drive both.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am almost hesitant to respond. In any case I have now had 2 PDK cars . Both with MF wheel and therefore both with toggles. All I really want to say is I use the MF controls ALL the time and the toggles 1% of the time. Based on that I perfer the MF wheel. I have never found the toggles a problem. My hands fit it perfectly. However, if you rarely use your stereo and phone then get the paddle shifters. So to me the decosion is mostly based on what I use more...not whether paddles are better or worse than toggles. Also, I don't track my car.

Quick Reply: MultiFunction vs. paddle shifters