Sponsored by:

MultiFunction vs. paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Douglass1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MultiFunction vs. paddle shifters

For those of you that have tried - or especially owned - both methods of shifting PDK, I would like to hear your views. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglass1
For those of you that have tried - or especially owned - both methods of shifting PDK, I would like to hear your views. Thanks.
Very easy... Paddles is THE ONLY way to go IMO.
Those buttons just feel very unnatural . They work the wrong way around (just like the PDK selector) and you can easily touch them accidentally.
I also think that the SD wheel looks a lot better.
The extra stalk that comes with SD wheel is just as easy as a MF wheel. You just have to get used to it, but it works very intuitive IMO. The only thing you can't do with it is change the volume, but that's not a real downside. At least for me it isn't.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Douglass1
Intermediate

Thanks, that's really helpful. In all my test drives, the paddle shifters were installed. They seemed easy enough. But I haven't pulled the trigger on my next 911. A lot of the inventory that I might be interested in has the MF wheel. Hard to find everything I want in inventory. All this since I'm still waiting for my 50th allocation. I suppose I'll just wait it out. It's not like their going to run out of nice cars.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

You need to judge for yourself before ordering. If you don't drive on the track the buttons are fine, IMHO. It is not hard to condition yourself not to activate them accidentally.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:09 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglass1
I posted some thoughts earlier on this in another thread...

https://rennlist.com/forums/10858989-post46.html
Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Having had three cars with paddle shifters over the past 10 years, I was worried I wouldn't get used to the bat ears having been ingrained with paddles for so long. The 991 I wound up getting was on the lot with a MF wheel, so in the back of my mind I thought I'd likely do one of the paddle retrofits. However, I've found that it hasn't been that hard, I got used to the buttons before the end of my first on-track session with the car. So now my paddle retrofit budget is going somewhere else!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Paddles, hands down. Great for shifting, no confusion - left down, right up. Sexy steering wheel. Multi function belongs in a Camry.

Took me a while to get used to them as with all the other controls at your finger tips, Id sometimes hit the window cleaner or high beam unintentionally, but time corrected that.

Now to retrofit the GT3 shorter throw paddles and faster shifting program . . .
Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 174 Posts

I test drove both. I found the buttons annoying in that frequently when turning the wheel I would inadvertently press one of them. The paddles were far superior - no false activations.

The trade off, of course, is that with the paddles you can't get a heated steering wheel, or a wheel that has wheel mounted controls for phone, audio, etc. I get it - one is for the "GT" crowd, and one is for the "Sports Car" crowd. Some of us (OK, me) are constantly looking to combine the best of both worlds, and a heated multifunction wheel with paddles instead of shift buttons/toggles would be ideal for me.

Although I do admit, I really like the look of the Sport Design wheel.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:17 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paddles
Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

You could do a poll and find that most of us like the paddles better.

This is just another one of those oh so personal decisions that you're gonna have to make on your own by driving both back to back.

I can totally understand wanting to have the other functions in the wheel and I really like the little P D K on top of the MF wheel. I think the MF wheel is prettier as well.

It's been said again and again even in this thread but I drove the MF and the Paddles back to back to back all in C2S cars with Sport Chrono. I accidentally up-shifted more than once with the mutifunction wheel. Am I a dumbass with not enough time with the MF wheel? Yea, probably. That's what makes the paddle wheel oh so better for me. Again, If I had found the perfect car and it had the MF wheel, I wouldn't take a pass on it. I'd just learn to use it and love it.

I'm a bit more of a utilitarian kind of 911 owner though. If you can even use those words together in a sentence. My idea of a 911 is no sunroof, minimal stereo, PDK, PSE and Sport Chrono. That's pretty much my car except the sunroof in glass. The dealer I bought my car from has a nice discount on a 2013 C4S, blk, PSE, Sport Chron, carbon and no sun roof. I'm in love with that car.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 AM
DvidzBlk991
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only go with the Paddles. The buttons are really annoying and make little sense.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:04 AM
hff
Track Day

Paddles makes sense on the Carrera - I like the "Sports Plus" lettering that comes on on the steering wheel.

I have the MF on a Cayenne Diesel S, I find that the only buttons I really use often on the steering wheel is the volume control and scrolling through the menu to check fuel consumption, never use the phone buttons or the gear shifters.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

I have both.
Shift push me pull me on my Panamera.
Paddles on my CS2

Paddles are way better.

You can get used to the buttons of course and after a while it is OK and one can even argue that it has some advantages like things remain the way they are no matter what angle the steering wheel.

But, paddles just are better.

However, best would be fixed paddles on the column. Paddles on the steering wheel looses its advantage over the fixed paddles when you have to turn in a bit more than usual.
However - that should never happen - right ?

Rainier
Old 10-28-2013, 05:57 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If you will be driving the PDK in manual mode, you MUST get the paddles !
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think this boils down to how much you will manually shift your PDK. I am not a trackie and use my car more as a GT (although I have been to DE days over the years). I rarely shift manually because I think the computer is smarter than me---hard to believe after 12 years of university. The only time I regularly use the toggles on my MF steering wheel is when I want to pass someone quickly. I find the toggles more than adequate although I won't argue that the paddles are more intuitive. I also have large hands so the toggles are easy. I have never accidently hit the wrong button or stalk because of my toggles. What IS irritating is changing radio stations and volume with the touchscreen and taking my eyes off the road. I change stations/volume a LOT. I also LOVE my heated steering wheel(in Canada). Unfortunately you need to make a choice because paddles on the MF wheel would be the solution. I LOVE the convenience of the MF wheel and I think the 2 wheels both look good. Ask yourself how often you will use those paddles/toggles. If you are like me and the answer is rarely then the MF wheel is just awesome. If you are a trackie and don't care about the audio system (just exhaust note) then go for the paddles. I got the Burmester so I wanted the MF wheel to go with it. No right answer, just preference based on driving style.

Quick Reply: MultiFunction vs. paddle shifters