Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MultiFunction vs. paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You can change radio station with the stalk on the SD wheel ! The ONLY thing the MF can do from the wheel that the SD Can't is change volume !
Old 10-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Douglass1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great comments and info, everyone. It gives me some background and info so I can ask questions and explore on my next test drive. Much appreciated.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I drive mine in manual mode constantly ... as long as you use your right hand to upshift and your left hand to downshift, the buttons are fine -- thumb on the right to upshift, index on the left to downshift.

I like the extra functionality on the MF wheel and it was just a few sessions where it became intuitive.

I don't care for the extra plastic trim on the paddle wheel, either.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:22 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

From what I've seen of the third party paddle retrofits onto MF wheels, it seems that one should theoretically be able to do this mod on a MF wheel with the existing bat ears:
1. disconnect the left side button push wire/connector, so only the left pull/downshift works.
2. swap the right side wiring so the original push (upshift) gets connected to the pull contact, and disconnect the original pull contact.

So this way, pushing on either side won't do anything (avoid accidental shifts from palms), and left pull=downshift, and right pull=upshift.

Maybe best of both worlds without needing to buy the expensive paddles?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to go against the grain on this.... I have the the buttons and love them. I know the "flappy" paddles are the racing standard, but after using the buttons all the time to manually shift this seems way quicker Buttons and stick- pull towards you for downshift, away for up on both interfaces. Either hand does the same thing, plus you don't even have to lift your fingers off the wheel. You can even roll your hand just a bit to up shift while keeping at 10 and 2.

Now, the sport wheel does look better, but the multifunction wheel especially with the heated option is great for driving all year round, track or whatever.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:44 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

As you can see Douglass, some like blondes, others like brunettes.

And there's nothing wrong with either of them!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I have both

I presently own a '13 C2S with paddles, and a '13 Panamera GTS with buttons.

I've previously owned an '09 C2S with buttons; an '11 C2GTS with paddles, and a '10 Panamera 4S with buttons.

I think I have about as much experience with both systems as anyone, so here's my take.

IF you track the car, get the paddles. This is a no brainer. When I first started tracking my C2S with the buttons I'd get an occasional unintentional upshift (never a downshift) because the base of my thumb would inadvertently push the upshift button when the wheel was cranked into a turn. This is, of course, about the WORST time for an upshift! With paddles, that just isn't a problem at all.

I did teach myself to hold the wheel at 3 and 9 without wrapping my thumbs around the wheel, which solved the problem. But why deal with it at all?

Conversely, my Panameras have been street cars. Neither is tracked, and I've never had an unintended shift with either car in street driving - which includes some pretty aggressive driving on mountain roads. I like the multi-function buttons. It's not that I can't reach over and adjust the radio or scroll through the PCM -- it's just nice to be able to do those things without leaving the steering wheel.

If Porsche made a paddle shifter with the multi-function features I think that would be the best of both worlds. You can achieve that with the after market, but I've been happy enough with the factory equipment I have.

So in my analysis is simply comes down to "how are you going to use the car?" If there are no track events in its future I see no reason to shun the multi function wheel.

DMoore
'13 C2S (with paddles)
'13 Panamera GTS (with multi function)
Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I presently own a '13 C2S with paddles, and a '13 Panamera GTS with buttons.

I've previously owned an '09 C2S with buttons; an '11 C2GTS with paddles, and a '10 Panamera 4S with buttons.

I think I have about as much experience with both systems as anyone, so here's my take.

IF you track the car, get the paddles. This is a no brainer. When I first started tracking my C2S with the buttons I'd get an occasional unintentional upshift (never a downshift) because the base of my thumb would inadvertently push the upshift button when the wheel was cranked into a turn. This is, of course, about the WORST time for an upshift! With paddles, that just isn't a problem at all.

I did teach myself to hold the wheel at 3 and 9 without wrapping my thumbs around the wheel, which solved the problem. But why deal with it at all?

Conversely, my Panameras have been street cars. Neither is tracked, and I've never had an unintended shift with either car in street driving - which includes some pretty aggressive driving on mountain roads. I like the multi-function buttons. It's not that I can't reach over and adjust the radio or scroll through the PCM -- it's just nice to be able to do those things without leaving the steering wheel.

If Porsche made a paddle shifter with the multi-function features I think that would be the best of both worlds. You can achieve that with the after market, but I've been happy enough with the factory equipment I have.

So in my analysis is simply comes down to "how are you going to use the car?" If there are no track events in its future I see no reason to shun the multi function wheel.

DMoore
'13 C2S (with paddles)
'13 Panamera GTS (with multi function)

Well said from someone who owns both.

Exactly what the OP asked for.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:52 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im been pounding the table for porsche to offer a mf paddle! Rumors has it that the macan will offer this.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:33 AM
Douglass1
Intermediate

I like this comment the best!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:35 AM
Douglass1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MarcusG

I like this comment the best!!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:08 PM
kosmo
Race Director

co
Old 10-29-2013, 12:09 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by MarcusG

what if I like them BOTH?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 PM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

Just a few thoughts...

I have read SEVERAL posts from people that discuss paddles vs. MF wheel. There are many comments about the MF wheel that generally state, "The MF Wheel is fine, you'll get used to it." Or, "Once I got used to the toggle switches on the MF wheel, I didn't mind it at all."

Not once have I read, "The Sport Steering Wheel is fine, you'll get used to it." Or, "Once I got used to the paddles, I didn't mind them at all."

Instead I've read more posts like, "Man I LOVE my paddles!" Or, "I love how simple the paddles are, they are awesome!" But I hardly ever read, "Man I love my toggle switches, they are AWESOME!!"

Just saying...
Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyScotty71
But I hardly ever read, "Man I love my toggle switches, they are AWESOME!!"

Just saying...
I said just that in my post and I have said it before. Not only did I test drive cars with both the types, I chose the toggles on a car I ordered to spec. I love them. More every day. They are a BRILLIANT user interface which remains under appreciated and better than the paddles as implemented by Porsche. The only thing better is paddle shifters on the COLUMN, not the wheel.

Quick Reply: MultiFunction vs. paddle shifters