Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged M3 vs new 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to know how all the modifications are working out. What improvements have you noticed? Is it just louder? Any problems related to the modifications? Any you highly recommend? Any that you would not do again? Supercharging an M3 takes a lot of guts. I would be VERY worried about reliability issues. If nothing else, I am unwilling to give up reliability.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I would love to know how all the modifications are working out. What improvements have you noticed? Is it just louder? Any problems related to the modifications? Any you highly recommend? Any that you would not do again? Supercharging an M3 takes a lot of guts. I would be VERY worried about reliability issues. If nothing else, I am unwilling to give up reliability.
Yeah, supercharging an NA engine without beefing up internals will always cause more wear, and will reduce the overall engine life even if you keep the boost relatively low. The M3 S65 motor has some rod bearing issues to begin with, so boosting the engine, will also supercharge the problem. Gotta pay to play, I took a gamble and had fun for 3 years, but yeah, if something goes wrong you are looking at around $25K for a new engine.

As far as my current mods on the 991.... lowering the car was a must for me, but I recommend doing it with dedicated coilovers. I'm running the KW springs until they release the clubsports.

The FVD x-pipe really woke up the car, and will give you a slight power bump, however I didn't feel any difference on the butt dyno, but the sound alone is worth the price.

The sharkwerks side exhaust is somewhat redundant with my x-pipe and has the negative effect that you eliminate your ability to cruise in 'silent mode'. Basically I have two settings now - loud, and different loud. My main reasoning behind swapping out the stock muffler was to reduce the heat to the rear tires during tracking.

The Fabspeed headers are simply beautiful, but the high-flow (200 cell) sport cats trigger my CEL. I'll be installing 02 sensor spacers this week, and that should do the trick.

The BBS CH-R wheels are a good bang for your buck, they are on the heavy side, but pretty sturdy, I'll be swapping them with BBS FI's once my moddign account is filled up again.

The cup tires provide insane amount of grip, but wear out in a jiffy... I'll be going with 888's or Hoosiers next time to reduce the cost.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the feed back. For me, the x-pipe might be an option......the other stuff not so much. My 911/50 will not see track time---ever.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Thanks for the feed back. For me, the x-pipe might be an option......the other stuff not so much. My 911/50 will not see track time---ever.
Love the 911_50 edition! Congrats! But you are missing out not taking her to the track.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

I have had my 3 previous 911's to the track. Just not my gig. I was the track doctor(part of a team actually) for the Indy race in Toronto for many years. I actually found that more exciting. I remember Mario Andretti totaling his car. He walked away and refused to be examined. Go figure.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

I have had my 3 previous 911's to the track. Just not my gig. I was the track doctor(part of a team actually) for the Indy race in Toronto for many years. I actually found that more exciting. I remember Mario Andretti totaling his car. He walked away and refused to be examined. Go figure.
That's cool!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Team Platonium. I enjoyed your chronicle and had some good chuckles. Enjoy your new baby and I look forward to reading additional episodes.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:16 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meine911
Thanks Team Platonium. I enjoyed your chronicle and had some good chuckles. Enjoy your new baby and I look forward to reading additional episodes.
Sorry "Plutonium"
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by meine911
Thanks for the kind words. I just got back from adding the 02 sensor spacers for the headers, and cleared the code... that should take care of the CEL. Getting ready for the 1/4 mile event on the 27th. I know I'll get smoked by some of the tuned, and build monsters, but I think my little 911 will do alright.

I completely missed the track season this year (Watkins Glen is having its last event), but will be ready in April.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 PM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

Hmm I seem to remember this discussion on a bmw forum.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by porsche518
Hmm I seem to remember this discussion on a bmw forum.
Yes, I had this thread on m3post. A handful of us left after a heated debate regarding the 991 compared to the M5... the only point of comparison really is the price. The thread got out of control and many posts got deleted by the mods. In order to preempt a ban we left.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 73 Posts

Great write up. I also came from BMW and my 997.2 engine is in a worse location than your 991 . I'm getting used to the sensation and love firing the car out of corners, but I still don't have quite the confidence that I used to on corner entry - that super light front end is the cause and can feel understeery when I don't get the weight transfer right.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:09 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the treatment from others, did your age relative to each car play a role perhaps? Just curious what your thoughts are.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gripster
Great write up. I also came from BMW and my 997.2 engine is in a worse location than your 991 . I'm getting used to the sensation and love firing the car out of corners, but I still don't have quite the confidence that I used to on corner entry - that super light front end is the cause and can feel understeery when I don't get the weight transfer right.
Thanks!! It will be a while until I'll have the same confidence on the track, but I like the journey and learning curve. The 991 is def more forgiving than the previous generations.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Regarding the treatment from others, did your age relative to each car play a role perhaps? Just curious what your thoughts are.
Not really sure, I'm in my early 40's, but look younger. I think it is more location based than anything else, you don't see many 911's in general in Upstate, NY.

Quick Reply: Supercharged M3 vs new 991 C2S