Sponsored by:

Supercharged M3 vs new 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Supercharged M3 vs new 991 C2S

These are my first impressions coming from a supercharged M3 (ESS 625, 4.10 gears, and full exhaust) to a (stock for now) 991 C2S.

It's very, very unfair, way too early, and contains very little technical facts, and mostly highly opinionated observations. These are my honest feelings about the switch, the cars, and I welcome questions and haters.

I've been wanting a 911 for a long time, and this March I finally pulled the trigger. What started out as "testing the waters" on facebook regarding the possibility of parting out my car, turned into selling everything within 20 minutes. I believe I hold the record in the fastest part-out in history of mankind. 2 days later the car was picked up by iND, and I said my goodbyes.

So before people yell at me about callously tearing apart the beast, and destroying a labor of love, please know that ALL parts found homes in friends cars and people I really like. So the beast lives on in about 5 other cars. Also, I really wanted the 911.

Lets start with the appearance and size of the cars:

Before I get into it.... I *did* look into getting a 997.2 GT3 and a GTS, but in the end my OCD prevented me from getting a used car, it might not make sense to most people, but other peoples OCD hardly make sense to others. I also decided it would be better to get the new chassis than the one that is 8 years old.

The 991 sitting next to the 997.2 looks huge! It appears like a Diet Panamera (or Panamera light for our European viewers). Same with the interior, gone is the intimate, spartan feel of the 997.2, and has been replaced with a more spacious, luxurious cabin. I'm conflicted about that, but I started to enjoy the creature comforts.

Now, when compared to the M3 (this is why we are here after all), the 991 is a tiny (light) car, so all is well in regards to size (that's what she said) and weight.

Coming from the supercharged M3 the 400 horsepower 911 feels slow, there is no push in the seats, no drama, very refined, gradual, and clinical.

My ESS M3 unleashed hell, and pulled like an angry pit bull with rabies. Wheel spin in every gear but 6th, many times it involves screaming equally induced by terror and delight. I always ended every trip soaking wet.... mostly sweat.

Initial impressions:

So when I drove the 911 off the dealer's lot I was underwhelmed... although I was giddy sitting in my own 911, I instantly realized that this is (compared to the beast) a fast luxury GT. And... I was conflicted right away. I was also slightly annoyed with the fact that my 9 year old daughter started to play with all the f@ckign buttons on the dashboard.

Here is the unfair part... I'm still in my break-in phase, and I have to keep it below 4200 rpm for 2000 miles (please lets not discuss the "need" for the break-in period). Similar to the S65 the engine in the 911 needs to be pushed to extract power, so that's why I call it a very early and unfair comparison.

On the drive home I started to really appreciate the cabin and the fit and finish, there is no question that this is a step above the M3. I actually really like the fact that everything has a button, for somebody who is borderline retarded (me) it is way easier than f@ckign around with the iDrive. It also looks way cooler, because more buttons is just better - don't even argue with me. What *does* suck is the Bose sound system and the controls for that, not a huge deal, but I'm convinced that Porsche let the intern design that part; more on that later.

Handling:

So I did a couple (semi) high-speed (around 120mph) runs, and felt that the 991 was a little busy. My M3 with KW V3's felt way more planted and stable. Again, a little unfair to compare stock to modded, but since we are talking about a 911 I was very surprised.

The good news is that I wasn't bothered by the electric steering at all. I can't tell the f@ckign difference. It's less busy, since it absorbs the bumps and road surface more (I guess), but it is just as precise as the M3 steering, but definitely not better (let's use this here: IMHO).

The handling improves when you take her to the curves, this is where the 911 shines, but it still won't outperform the M3.... the nose is light, and although you have a wider track now (over the 997.2) it still feels a little jittery when tuning in. I'm pretty sure you get used to that quickly though. But once in the corner you can hammer it, and slingshot your way out of the curve - very impressive, and this is something the M3 can't do that well.

But speeding around the backroads makes you realize that the 911 still has the engine in the wrong place (well, I love, but lets be honest). It is **** heavy, and you feel it. It moves its *** like Marilyn Monroe, and I love it! Despite all the electronic nannies you'll always be able to feel it, and it puts a big smile to my face. That was the first time I realized I didn't regret my switch.

Speed and Power:

Well, there is simply no comparison. The ESS M3 is a super-car eating monster, and the 911 is just a fast car. My beast ate everything... GT-R's, 458's, Lambos, it simply didn't matter. The 911 is a refined gentleman racer compared to the angry, drunk soccer hooligan that is running at you like a pack of skinheads with baseball bats.

So basically so far I think the 991C2S is a little underpowered. And I'm pretty sure I won't really change my mind even after playing with the higher rpm power-band. I'm not disappointed by it, but definitely something that I will address, probably with the optional power kit and a full exhaust.

Stance and Suspension:

Car needs a drop and Porsche's PSAM suspension is underwhelming. Granted, it hasn't been really track tested obviously, but I think we can do better.

Sport Exhaust and Chrono Package:

This, I really f@ckign love! Exhaust note from the optional sport exhaust is pretty awesome (still needs to be a louder of course), but for a stock exhaust it sounds fantastic. The pops and burbles are great! Lift off, and the engine is pooping popcorn in the exhaust.

The chrono packed gives you a fancy clock/stopwatch I will never use, but it looks business. And the g-force meter is great to mention while bragging over beers in a pub. Same goes for the gear shift indicator... I already have one, it's called the rev-counter. But the rev-match function is simply awesome, and very obnoxious during city driving, which obviously appeals to me greatly. This will be a great little feature for the track, can't wait to play with it in the high revs.

Haters:

This is fairly interesting. I got tons of attention in both cars, and people took and take cellphone photos all the time. The Beast got smiles from old and young, folks would cheer when I ripped it, and even my local cops gave me thumps up. it was a f@ckign crowd pleaser. No one tried to race me, and people waved me in during high traffic.

Driving a highly modded M3 makes you a local "hero", driving a new 911 makes you a ******-bag. The only folks that smile at you (and don't judge) are kids, and teenage girls... they love it, the rest... doesn't. It doesn't bother me, but filling up the gas tank is very different in the 911 than the modded M3. This is what I think the thought process is... for the M3: "I wonder what is under the hood?", the 911: "I wonder what this ******* does for a living?"

Engine bay:

Supercharged M3 = awesome!

991 = that's it?

Conclusion:

Now, if I gave you the impression that I'm unhappy with my purchase you'd be wrong, I love the 911, and I can't wait to drive it to iND!

But it is such a different animal than the monster I gave away, and I think when I'm old and crap my pants, I might not remember that 991, but I will always remember (senile or not) the Beast.

I will update this thread with photos, and more impressions as I explore the 911, and more importantly.... when I start modding it.

Thanks for reading.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

My thoughts on the 7MT:

I love it, but I really think the 7th gear is unnecessary in the US. It kinda makes sense for the Autobahn once you reach your "cursing" speed, but I don't think it will see much action in my driving.

When I first drove off the lot I was rolling my eyes at the electronic gear indicator within the ref-counter, but boy am I glad I have that feature. The gears are so close together, and with the additional 7th gear I found myself (almost) selecting the wrong gear all the time at first. The indicator is a nice way to avoid a little money shift, although it only takes a couple of days and you get used to the gears and shifter anyway.

The clutch feels much better than the clutch (and clutch travel) in my M3.... very firm and not like the 'wizard's sleeve' feeling I was used to. Probably like the difference between banging an 18 year old and an 80 year old (hooker). I'm not proud of that reference, but I think it gets the point across. Having said that, clutch travel in other M3's I drove felt much better than my old M3.

The shifter of the 911 is awesome (once you get used to the extra "silly" gear)! Shifts are very accurate and short and precise (unlike my personal equipment which is large and sloppy).

So in conclusion the stick shift in the 991 is on par with the 6MT in the 997.2, and definitely better than the 6MT in the current M3.

Now lets look at a huge f@ck up of the 991 - the reflection of the dashboard in the windshield. Are you kidding me?!

Seriously, they spent millions in R&D and nobody realized that reflection? It is so ridiculously distracting that I had to buy new polarized sunglasses to deal with it, that's just pants-on-head retarded!

It's obviously not something you can bitch about when you hang out with friends who don't drive cars like us, since they will punch you in the dick, and they'd be totally within their right to do so. Also, don't complain about the long break-in period of a 911, you don't get much sympathy either.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

1000 mile review. Still not broken-in, but I played a little...

Not far from my house is a magical country called Mexico, they have no speed limits, nobody ever gets hurt, and there are no consequences for turning off the electronic nannies - ever.

It also has around 40 curves within 5 miles. You will encounter the occasional biker, but since the road has a river next to it the biker can just jump in there (for a soft and save landing) when I clip him. I always throw money out the window when that happens so he or she can buy a new bike. I call this maneuver - 'making it rain'.

Here are the things I've learned on Saturday:

The engine in the new 991 is in the back. It is hanging behind the rear axle. This is stupid and fun at the same time. The engine of the M3 is not in the back, it is actually in the front, this is a slightly better place for many scenarios.

Turning into a corner at high speed still feels busy, despite the wider track, and the glorious chassis. I still don't have the confidence I had with the M3. Again, this is totally unfair since I had a modified suspension in the beast, tons of seat time, and heavier steering due to running 265's in the front. The 911 has bicycle tires, I just found out the engine is in the back, and I'm slightly retarded, so I have a steeper learning curve than most.

Once you reach the apex of the corner, well, what I think the apex is anyway, the 911 rewards you with having having the engine in the 'right' place. Holy slingshot baby!

However, if you are dealing with tons of S curves you just slingshot out of one corner (due to the engine being in the right place), into another corner, and now you have to deal with the busy, light steering again (due to the fact that the engine is in the wrong place). it is a circle of fun and terror - times 40 on that particular road.

So for now the 911 involves me much more, and makes me work much harder to go fast, which I believe is the total opposite of every car magazine review worldwide. Clearly, they are all wrong and don't know how to drive - weird.

Sport Chrono: This is def a must have feature! Dynamic engine mounts are amazing! BTW, I'm just saying this, I have no f@ckling clue if you can actually feel the difference or not, I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I *do* noticed a difference.

Electric steering: i can't tell the difference, I just can't . Any purist who says otherwise is (IMHO) full of ****.

Next up: Why the ladies dig the 911, and why red is the best color of them all.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Well, that took forever. But it is done - I reached 2000 miles, and Porsche officially allows me now to beat on her, and she had it f@cking coming.

I would like to revisit my comment regarding the 991S feeling slow compared to my previous supercharged M3 - I take it back. **** is getting real after leaving the 6K rpm mark, and in perfect unison - my sphincter tightens as the gates of hell open up.

The delivery of speed compared to my M3 feels very different however, it isn't so much that you get pressed into the seat, but rather that it amplifies the lightness of the car, you feel like you are about to take off. And combine that with my Sharkwerks/FVD exhaust combo that left me without mufflers all together - the acceleration is accompanied by a deafening Formula One scream. And by deafening I mean other cars pulling over to the right to let me pass... on 4 separate occasions. I always reward them by lifting my right foot to salute them with some crazy back-fires, burbles and flames.

Driving this car is an event, it is a toy, and nothing else. It renders the driver into an 8 year old boy that realized that his drawn-on cardboard box is indeed a spaceship.

The sensation of driving this car f@ck-*****-out is a wonderful combination of sheer joy and absolute ***-sweat producing terror; a symphony of fantastic terror.

Coming up: Dealing with Mike's new M5. Yes, there will be racing, and probably some **** leakage.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admit that most car comparisons drive me a little nuts, but I enjoyed this one. The experiences were well written and it wasn't some clinical 0-60 comparison. It gave me a good sense of what the M us like.

One thing that confused me though, and I'm certainly not trying to be a "hater" here - is that you mentioned you were underwhelmed when you drove off the lot. Didn't you test drive the vehicle first? It made me scratch my head a bit. Again, no hate intended. And it's the profession of every 9 year old I know to push and twist every button in sight

Nice comparison. Hope you end up loving your 991.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
1000 mile review. Still not broken-in, but I played a little...

Not far from my house is a magical country called Mexico, they have no speed limits, nobody ever gets hurt, and there are no consequences for turning off the electronic nannies - ever.
Mexico!? I thought you were in NY/VA??
Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Thank God you hit your 2,000 mile break in in your last post.

Now that you don't have to keep it under 4,200 rpm Enjoy!!!!

Your car is is jekyl and hyde under and over 5,500 rpm.

I don't know anyone that has driven a 991s with or without Sport Chrono and not been impressed!

Congrats and thank God you are seeing the rev limiter now!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:24 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Thank God you hit your 2,000 mile break in in your last post.

Now that you don't have to keep it under 4,200 rpm Enjoy!!!!

Your car is is jekyl and hyde under and over 5,500 rpm.

I don't know anyone that has driven a 991s with or without Sport Chrono and not been impressed!

Congrats and thank God you are seeing the rev limiter now!
u think leasors give a rats ***.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
I have to admit that most car comparisons drive me a little nuts, but I enjoyed this one. The experiences were well written and it wasn't some clinical 0-60 comparison. It gave me a good sense of what the M us like. One thing that confused me though, and I'm certainly not trying to be a "hater" here - is that you mentioned you were underwhelmed when you drove off the lot. Didn't you test drive the vehicle first? It made me scratch my head a bit. Again, no hate intended. And it's the profession of every 9 year old I know to push and twist every button in sight Nice comparison. Hope you end up loving your 991.
Thanks. Yes, I love the 991, and I started playing with it already... headers, exhaust, etc. I test drove a launch model that was broken-in, when I drove mine off the lot I took at easy, as said, an unfair assessment at best.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by duxsi
Mexico!? I thought you were in NY/VA??
"Mexico" as in no speed limit.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Thank God you hit your 2,000 mile break in in your last post. Now that you don't have to keep it under 4,200 rpm Enjoy!!!! Your car is is jekyl and hyde under and over 5,500 rpm. I don't know anyone that has driven a 991s with or without Sport Chrono and not been impressed! Congrats and thank God you are seeing the rev limiter now!
Yup, love it! I'll do a write-up talking about the mods. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:01 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
u think leasors give a rats ***.

Lol. I'm sure guys that lease don't care but I believe Plutonium bought his car but if not he wanted to break it in per the owners manual anyway. He also said in his first post he didn't want this to turn into a "(please lets not discuss the "need" for the break-in period).

Anyway. Plutonium, make sure you report back on your mods, before and after thoughts. Enjoy the car in good health.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Harold1898
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must say coming from a C63 into a C2S I have also been underwhelmed. I made a mistake and bought the PDK, I think your MT is probably a better purchase. The thing for me is you can't overstate the beautiful look of the car, it is a work of art.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold1898
I must say coming from a C63 into a C2S I have also been underwhelmed. .
I think the majority of us who transitioned from a V8 into a flat 6 felt somewhat underwhelmed to begin with.

The car certainly needs to be driven harder in order to get anything out of it, otherwise it can feel like it's lumbering along.

Last edited by duxsi; 10-21-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Lol. I'm sure guys that lease don't care but I believe Plutonium bought his car but if not he wanted to break it in per the owners manual anyway. He also said in his first post he didn't want this to turn into a "(please lets not discuss the "need" for the break-in period).

Anyway. Plutonium, make sure you report back on your mods, before and after thoughts. Enjoy the car in good health.
Thank you. I bought it, but I break-in all my cars based on what the manual says, even mu company cars. It might sound strange, but I'm a creature of habit. I know there are a million threads and post out there regarding this....

Originally Posted by Harold1898
I must say coming from a C63 into a C2S I have also been underwhelmed. I made a mistake and bought the PDK, I think your MT is probably a better purchase. The thing for me is you can't overstate the beautiful look of the car, it is a work of art.
Yeah, the C63 is a torque monster, definitely hard to compare the two, you had power on tap and gobs of it. The 911 needs to be worked with, part of the joy.

Originally Posted by duxsi
I think the majority of us who transitioned from a V8 into a flat 6 felt somewhat underwhelmed to begin with.

The car certainly needs to be driven harder in order to get anything out of it, otherwise it can feel like it's lumbering along.
My (unfair) comparison really is a very specific and personal one, my e92 was highly modified and took out GT-R on the drag strip, as well as 458's, etc... the comparison was done more as a part of an ongoing journal, that will include all my future modification to the 991.

Quick Reply: Supercharged M3 vs new 991 C2S