Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering with H&R...To lower or not to lower

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every car needs a drop. Springs will f@ck up your shocks eventually, go with coilovers.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
I appreciate all your feedback and it's likely to have deterred me from doing it. I bought the car off the showroom floor so I couldn't have gotten the PASM. My sole motivation to lower the car is for visual purposes. However I know the pros and cons generally speaking when lowering a car. I have lowered pretty much all my previous cars. I am leasing this car so I would have to return it to factory spec when handing it in so I wanted to know the amount of labor involved in this endeavor. I wasn't concerned with ride height or ride quality, but a few of you brought up something that I was thinking in the back of my head already, messing with design. Coilovers are the best way to go, but costly, hence why I was just going with springs. In my mind I feel that Porsche engineers spent a long time with the design and geometry, so maybe I shouldn't molest it. I bought this car for the handling accolades it has received so do I wanna tempt the hand of fate and screw with it?

I guess I will have to live with it, or put a 300 pound piece of lead in the trunk to even out the height
You said your car is a 991S. The S comes with PASM standard.

Even if you have a 991, the dealer could have optioned PASM. They tend to order cars with varied options to give buyers the illusion of choice.

Coilovers are springs. A spring is a coil of wire. Mount the coil over the shock, we call it a coilover. In this way we distinguish the coilover suspension from one in which the spring (coil) is located anywhere other than over the shock.

You have much to learn, Grasshopper

Old 10-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
You said your car is a 991S. The S comes with PASM standard.

Even if you have a 991, the dealer could have optioned PASM. They tend to order cars with varied options to give buyers the illusion of choice.

Coilovers are springs. A spring is a coil of wire. Mount the coil over the shock, we call it a coilover. In this way we distinguish the coilover suspension from one in which the spring (coil) is located anywhere other than over the shock.

You have much to learn, Grasshopper
I'm a little confused about the Sport suspension and my car. It was dealer built. It has PDCC. It is a 2013. According to the MY2014 build, you can option PDCC with or without PASM. On my window sticker it only shows PDCC, (no PASM) and it appears that its not the lower suspension. The 10mm lower ride height would equate to roughly half inch. IMO with all the sport options my car has ( PSE, PDCC, Aerokit cup) why wouldn't they get PASM? Whatever, scratching my head...The same guy optioned black gauges. I hate it. The car is white, has red calipers, optioned red seat belts, but black gauges. I would have chose red or white gauges.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

PASM= Porsche Active Suspension Management.

SPASM is Sport PASM.

PASM is 10mm lower than a base car.

SPASM is another 10mm lower than a PASM car plus the front lip spoiler.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
PASM= Porsche Active Suspension Management.

SPASM is Sport PASM.

PASM is 10mm lower than a base car.

SPASM is another 10mm lower than a PASM car plus the front lip spoiler.
Thank you very much for clarifying that, I was unaware. All I know is that off the top my head I have only noticed on the sticker that it is only PDCC equipped
Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Your window sticker shows optional equipment. PDCC is on there because its an option. PASM is not on there because its standard. SPASM is an option so if its not on there you don't have it.

PDCC uses computer-guided hydraulics to reduce body roll by making real-time adjustments to anti-roll bar geometry. Adjustments are based on the body roll characteristics of the car equipped with factory springs and suspension settings. You can change the springs to a different, stiffer spring rate, and lower the suspension, no problem. But then who is going to reprogram PDCC to work correctly with that setup?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Your window sticker shows optional equipment. PDCC is on there because its an option. PASM is not on there because its standard. SPASM is an option so if its not on there you don't have it.

PDCC uses computer-guided hydraulics to reduce body roll by making real-time adjustments to anti-roll bar geometry. Adjustments are based on the body roll characteristics of the car equipped with factory springs and suspension settings. You can change the springs to a different, stiffer spring rate, and lower the suspension, no problem. But then who is going to reprogram PDCC to work correctly with that setup?
+1. At the very least you should find out from a dealer just what suspension geometry trade-offs may be involved. I would guess that another 10 mm (eg, to Sport PASM level) is well within the PDCC design parameters. At some point the trade offs between looks and performance, including trade off for your use, need to be reconciled. Go to a PCA DE and ask before leaping. There are many hot looking and feeling mods that trade looks and feel for actual performance, and that is ok if thats what you value. If you never actually go where you use the performance it matters not at all. If you do value performance, lowering is right up there so long as it doesn't screw up the reset of the suspension dynamics. For me, in order of effect on performance, its improving the driver, lowering the center of gravity, stickier tires. For heroic impact, its lowering the car, widening the track, sweetening the soundtrack.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Driver>>>>>>>>>>>>all. Fixed. I did not see you had PDCC. My 991 is also PDCC equipped. No way in hell I would aftermarket adjust the suspension and risk a chain reaction of fail. I appreciate a good looking car as much as anyone but in this case risk>>beneift. Spacers also improve the look and are cheap with no risk (assuming they are not too thick). Unfortunately, I can't get spacers on my 911/50 because longer matching bolts are not available hence it is not an option on the 911/50. I had spacers on my 997.2 and I thought they looked great with the wider track.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

I completely agree with all of you. I do not want to take a chance screwing with harmonious design.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see this confusion in many threads so ....

SPASM or Sport PASM is an informal term. Porsche's terminology for this in the configurator and on the Monroney Label (in US) is "PASM Sport Suspension"

To Summarize again..

PASM or Porsche Active Suspension Management (-10, standard on 991S, optional on 991)

PASM Sport Suspension = SPASM (-20, optional on both 991 or 991S)
Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my car lowered with H&R springs. I also had the shop re do the alignment which is essential if you are lowering the car. My car is a 991s non SPASM car. I really like the stance and when you see and compare a lowered 991 against a non lowered 991 the difference is significant. no rubbing or clearance issues, i also have 7mm and 15mm spacers to complete the full wheel well look i wanted.
cheers
Old 10-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Would you have lowered it if it had Sport pasm and/or PDCC?
Old 10-21-2013, 05:23 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Of everything mentioned the one thing that might fit your 'appearances first' desire is wheel spacers. Will not affect performance, you might like the look, and so easily changed that you might even find a set someone will let you try on for a look before buying. I'm not recommending. In my book moving the wheels out into the airstream to where they'll catch more air and throw more rocks onto the body, however slight the change is still a change in the wrong direction to me. (Plus, for autocross you have to move the car a whole extra inch to clear those slalom cones!) But you said its all for looks, so thought I'd mention it.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bacura
Would you have lowered it if it had Sport pasm and/or PDCC?
It would have depended on the wheel well gap on the car with the above specs.
I had a 997.1 for 4 years and the gap always bugged me, but i just never got round to doing anything about it. With my new car i wanted to fix that straight away. In my eyes, it really transforms the car, and as I said before, when i see a non lowered 991s alongside my car the difference is striking. but thats just me, my wife swears she cant see any difference
Old 10-23-2013, 02:51 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
It would have depended on the wheel well gap on the car with the above specs.
I had a 997.1 for 4 years and the gap always bugged me, but i just never got round to doing anything about it. With my new car i wanted to fix that straight away. In my eyes, it really transforms the car, and as I said before, when i see a non lowered 991s alongside my car the difference is striking. but thats just me, my wife swears she cant see any difference

Good stuff. Glad you didn't wait on this one to make it your own.

First request! Larger pics of your car please!

Be happy she doesn't notice the difference. That means you can most likely do more mods and she won't notice those as well.

Quick Reply: Lowering with H&R...To lower or not to lower