Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear box emergency mode, and Engine Control Fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car got done today. It took Champion a little more than a day to replace a transmission. My dealer and the service rep, and of course the guys in the garage, they all did a great job. Unfortunately they could not tell me more about the cause of the failure, since they didn't get to take it apart. So I have no meaningful info for those of you who have issues or concerns. Fingers crossed, I hope this was my only major issue with this car.

roobiracer,
I am sure Porsche is taking a note of this. $18k to swallow is steep for a $100k (in my case that is) base 911. Heck even for a Turbo S it would be steep. I am sure someone with a first name of Ditrich, Herbert, or Wolfgang is all over this in Stuttgart.

gt3fantsy,
I wouldn't worry. Cars break, expensive or cheap. The fact that I could not drive it for a week (right when I was home doing almost nothing for a full week) was the biggest disappointment. The only real complaint of mine was the lack of inventory. That is bs.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wish you many years of fun and hope there's no more gremlins
Old 10-30-2013, 10:12 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Great to hear you're back on the road!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:59 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, I got this same thing yesterday.

Going to bring it to the local shop I deal with first thing tomorrow morning and have him get the codes. Then I'll swing over to the dealer (who opens later) and get the word from them.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlanka
Well, I got this same thing yesterday.

Going to bring it to the local shop I deal with first thing tomorrow morning and have him get the codes. Then I'll swing over to the dealer (who opens later) and get the word from them.
Well. For what it is worth. If you start the car, then stop the engine, then lock the door. Wait a few seconds. Then open it and start the engine again, and repeat this about several time (I forget how many time it was exaclty... more than 3x). The system will reset. At least that was the first thing my dealer made me do over the phone. It cleared the error and I was able to drive it with all the gears available and without a single error message on the dash. You will still need to bring it in, but it feels normal at least.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
Well. For what it is worth. If you start the car, then stop the engine, then lock the door. Wait a few seconds. Then open it and start the engine again, and repeat this about several time (I forget how many time it was exaclty... more than 3x). The system will reset. At least that was the first thing my dealer made me do over the phone. It cleared the error and I was able to drive it with all the gears available and without a single error message on the dash. You will still need to bring it in, but it feels normal at least.
Can the dealer still retrieve the codes if you do this?
Old 11-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Good question. I don't know. When I took mine in it had no faults displayed anymore. They still replaced the transmission.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:35 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Cowboy.

Glad to hear you are in business again.

Don't forget of all the 991's with PDK that have been sold since early 2012. Most likely around 95% of all owners don't frequent this board or 6 s p e e d.

I'm sure there have been other failures with the PDK box that we are not aware of here.

That being said, the PDK is in and going in many more Porsche cars in the future and the retail price of a box is nowhere near what the manufacturer's cost is.

I'm sure Porsche is happy to have a few box failures from real world drivers. I know these German engineers and they eat up real world durability data.

I remember my days at BMW. & the first automatic E36 BMW M3's. This is pre SMG. In the beginning there wasn't a BMW indy anywhere in So. California that would attempt a repair. They were just simply afraid. After a few years of seeing them they became more familiar with them and before long everyone was working on them. It's not like it's the Ark of the Covenant or anything.

(insert a YouTube clip from Chuck911 of "Raiders of the Lost Ark here")

The PDK gearbox isn't brand new to Porsche. They have been using this technology for a long time.

Cheers

Last edited by MarcusG; 11-10-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

+1 Marcus
Old 11-11-2013, 01:19 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Went to my local guy first thing, he found there is an electrical short in the tranny. Went right over to the dealer, and they found no codes. Local guy insists he didn't delete anything.

I'll keep driving it to see if it comes back. The dealer says it might have been a cylinder misfire which triggered the errors.

TBD
Old 11-11-2013, 01:34 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for the update Jlanka.

The MT guys have their thread. WE can continue to update the PDK thread as well.

Glad to hear your car isn't talking back to you now. Hope it stays that way.

Cheers
Old 11-12-2013, 10:21 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Gear box emergency mode came back tonight. going to dealer 7:30 AM tomorrow morning.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlanka
Gear box emergency mode came back tonight. going to dealer 7:30 AM tomorrow morning.
At what speed did it come back? What were the driving conditions? Just wondering.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

I guess that above from me wasn't clear. Were you cruising, accelerating, turning, manually shifting? That is what I was trying to ask.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Just driving around town

Quick Reply: Gear box emergency mode, and Engine Control Fault