Sponsored by:

Reason for 911 50 to have the Powerkit

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Little known fact but Porsche does everything because of Corvette.

Heck, Porsche only released the 911 back in '63 because of the Corvette.

991? Cayman? Boxster? GT3? GT2? Cayenne? Panamera? All of 'em. Just throwing stuff at the wall trying to come up with an answer to Corvette.

We can only hope that Porsche eventually pulls it out of the fire in the years to come.
This was tongue in cheeck I presume ?!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:50 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

No, it was my comment that was tongue in cheek. The single biggest line item on the Porsche annual budget is for doing intel on GM.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
No, it was my comment that was tongue in cheek. The single biggest line item on the Porsche annual budget is for doing intel on GM.
Porsche's sad attempts to deal with their Corvette inferiority complex know no limits.

Their entire motorsport program over the years... the Targa Floria wins, their Le Mans wins, their Paris Dakar rally wins, the 917, the 956, the 962, the GT1, all of it... pathetic attempts to be better than Corvette.

Every time Porsche releases a new 911 they HAVE to compare it to Corvette. Just sad, really.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:37 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Deleted my entry. I like JohnnyBahamas avatar too much to give him hell :-)
Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I assume all these corvette comparison comments are just sarcasm. Very different cars (not apple vs oranges but none-the-less different). Different price. Different buyer mentality. Different build quality. Both superior in their own right but one thing will NEVER change. The Corvette will never be better UNLESS price is factored in. There are some of us where price is not a factor and I defy anyone to choose a Corvette over a 991 if they were not paying for the vehicle. Again,same simple question. You are able to choose between a 991 or a Corvette optioned any way you like. You have to drive either for 4 years and then return it. Either one free of charge. Choose!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:23 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Deleted my entry. I like JohnnyBahamas avatar too much to give him hell :-)
+1

He gets a pass
Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 AM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I assume all these corvette comparison comments are just sarcasm. Very different cars (not apple vs oranges but none-the-less different). Different price. Different buyer mentality. Different build quality. Both superior in their own right but one thing will NEVER change. The Corvette will never be better UNLESS price is factored in. There are some of us where price is not a factor and I defy anyone to choose a Corvette over a 991 if they were not paying for the vehicle. Again,same simple question. You are able to choose between a 991 or a Corvette optioned any way you like. You have to drive either for 4 years and then return it. Either one free of charge. Choose!

Maybe you should ask this question on a Corvette forum or the next UAW meeting in Detroit. I will bet you 60k your are wrong and use the proceeds to buy a Vette.

It is interesting how frequently we forget who the audience is here.

Last edited by JamesKen; 10-18-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a better idea. Let's go to the Timex factory. Let's get all the retiring employee's together and ask them which they prefer. A made in america timex (which keeps perfect time and made by their colleagues) or a nice shiney Rolex. Just because you are a GM worker it doesn't mean you prefer a Corvette to a Porsche. I am sure there are some, just not me or anyone else I know. I work with many people including nurses and admin staff that always comment on how they love my car. When we talk about cars in general and Corvette is mentioned they usually comment that it doesn't compare in their minds to a Porsche....and they aren't millionaires. I will say it again. The new Corvette is a great car for the MONEY. But it's no 991. Now go pole the GM workers on which they want for free and get back to my. Don't assume or you make an *** out of you and me.
One other thing. I can afford a 991 or a Corvette and I made my choice. What percent of Corvette owners can afford EITHER and choose Corvette? I'll bet that 60K you just won from me double or nothing on the answer. And yes, I love my Rolex too.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

What car is in my avatar? You are preaching to the choir. My whole point and one you appear to have missed was who started with the ASSumptions? Your whole post was that no one would pick a Corvette over a 911 if they were the same price. That assumption is silly.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:45 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Porsche's sad attempts to deal with their Corvette inferiority complex know no limits.

Their entire motorsport program over the years... the Targa Floria wins, their Le Mans wins, their Paris Dakar rally wins, the 917, the 956, the 962, the GT1, all of it... pathetic attempts to be better than Corvette.

Every time Porsche releases a new 911 they HAVE to compare it to Corvette. Just sad, really.
One can only imagine the consternation at Porsche each time they would win at LeMans, only to realize the futility, as there was no Corvette.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuck911
One can only imagine the consternation at Porsche each time they would win at LeMans, only to realize the futility, as there was no Corvette.
You just KNOW that the Porsche motorsport department goes through Prozac like they're pretzels at Octoberfest... all because of that Corvette chip on their shoulders.

I assume, of course, that the guy in your avatar has just realized that Corvette has done it again.

Poor, torment soul.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry if this is a repost, but still worth it...

Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Johnnybahamas, you need to get your avatar lady to drop her clothes soon because I'm coming close to typing a response.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:48 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by bccars
Johnnybahamas, you need to get your avatar lady to drop her clothes soon because I'm coming close to typing a response.
Ah HA! Corvette induced rage. There is a rumor that it is quite common. I know this because I started the rumor.

You've probably had to rubbish years of engineering and technical effort because GM's Corvette is so much better than everything.

The list of rage inducing silliness is endless...

Still using the old fashion, thickest gauge steel body panels in the automotive industry? HA! Corvette uses high tech plastic sheet moulded compound, like a giant suitcase you can drive, which makes it superior, of course.

Still not capable of using a bouncy plastic leaf spring on your cars? HA! Corvette uses TWO at the same time! Which is simply engineering dominance on display for all to see... though it is hidden.

Take heart and stay strong! Do not let the Corvette rage destroy your will. You have a Ph.D in mechanical engineering, after all. Possibly you can make a machine has excellent as Corvette some day.

Or, maybe a pen of good quality.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

I'd pick a Porsche any day over a Vette.. even if they were the same price..
I really don't like the lines/shape of Corvettes. Actually can't think of a thing I like about Vettes.

Quick Reply: Reason for 911 50 to have the Powerkit