Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just traded in my 2010 Cayman S for 2014 C4S!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:32 AM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
With regard to the black dials, are you saying you wish they were standard in another color besides black? Thanks.
On the 991 911S and 4S, the standard instrument gauges are not all black; the center RPM gauge is metallic silver while the other gauges are black. I did not know that until someone pointed it out to me. They said when their car arrived, they noticed the metallic RPM gauge and they were very disappointed. I went to the dealer and looked at both, and for me, I really liked the all black gauges. You can have all black instrument gauges for $0. So, I made sure and ordered all black gauges since I really like the uniform look.

The base 911 has all black instruments as standard which I think is awesome. Funny how they charge $895 for red, white etc. gauges, but black is $0!!

Originally Posted by bccars
I do have the sportchrono, and honestly, at the the moment I see zero benefits. I feel i wasted my money on that one !
Sorry to hear that. I really enjoyed the test drive in the PDK and MT with the Sport Chrono; but both were S models. I can see with the PDK maybe it is not as important. But for me, I chose the MT and can't wait to use Sport Plus mode all day long with auto rev-matching. While I can always improve my heel-toe downshifts, it's inspiring to know how good the auto rev-matching downshift feature in the Sport Chrono PKG is.

So for me, since I ordered a MT and suck at heel-toe, Sport Chrono was a must have.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Thank you Pilot and Fly. Did not know that about the 991 dials. Now I need to deecide about all black or do the white. Have a couple more weeks to lock in.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sports Chrono IMO is most misunderstood. Yes, it does have dynamic engine mounts but when I tested the cars myself at any speed I expected to do on public roads, I could not really tell the difference. The dash wart, either you like or you hate.

I will agree with the previous poster that the real benefit of the Sports Chrono is with a MT because of those rev matched shifts. It just makes driving the car easier and the throttle response really crisp with a MT.

With the PDK, the benefit is mainly launch control, which personally just testing it once at the dealer was enough for me. Others have mentioned that it is fun to be in sports plus and manually shift the PDK, but I have been happy enough with it in Sports mode without the Sports chrono package.

On the track however I think Sports Plus would be a gotta have feature since the PDK sports plus logic allegedly works pretty good.

In an ideal world I would own both my base C2 and get a GT3 for a weekend / track car. That way I get the base 3.4 sound without PSE that I love and get the AWESOME GT3 SOUND AND all the sports chrono benefits without the dash wart which is optional on the GT3.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doc76
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Re the sports chrono....I ticked that option on my 987 because without it you didn't get the sport button so it was a must have. Now as you know, Porsche smartened up and gives you the sport button standard. For me there is absolutely no need for a sport+/launch control feature unless you are into heavy track use. Plus the dial on the dash takes away from the refinement of the car.
You're going to love the car!

Also, even without the chrono there is a soft launch which is more than enough for the street. Will hold the rpm at around 4,500 rpm.

I thought chrono (which I don't have) just crisp up the pdk and gets you some 0-60 time savings. Unsure about that though.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:04 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Thank you Pilot and Fly. Did not know that about the 991 dials. Now I need to deecide about all black or do the white. Have a couple more weeks to lock in.
My 996 had the silver dials and my current 997.2 has silver dials. The thing I like about the silver dials, is that I get silver dials during daylight hours, gray dials at dawn/dusk and black dials at night. I think the white dials would react the same way.

On the other hand, Black dials will always be black.

Just my observations.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
My 996 had the silver dials and my current 997.2 has silver dials. The thing I like about the silver dials, is that I get silver dials during daylight hours, gray dials at dawn/dusk and black dials at night. I think the white dials would react the same way.

On the other hand, Black dials will always be black.

Just my observations.
I am not familiar with the exact contrast of the 997.2 silver dials, but to my eyes the contrast of the silver/gray tach dial in the 991S is very low compared to the black one which if I were to guess, the latter would be preferred by the majority.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:08 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Great news and congrats on your order! That color is one of my favs.

Without sounding like the peanut gallery and it's only a suggestion...and I'm not sure how many Porsche dealerships are within a reasonable drive but before you pass the point of no return on your order I'd drive what you ordered and a 4S with

PDK
Sport chrono
PSE

and drive them back to back. Just to make sure. There's nothing like wishing you had ordered something after your car is delivered especially since you are ordering exactly what you want. Driving an S and non S with or without PSE offer different experiences.

Like I said, it's only a suggestion and free to do now. I'll admit here in Los Angeles we are bit spoiled having no less than 6 dealerships within an hour drive of each other traffic permitting.

Congrats again on your order!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 PM
doc76
Track Day

Thanks Marcus!
As I said in an earlier post, I had SCP on my Cayman S and never used the Sport plus/launch control. It was an easy choice to pass on the SCP since the
C4S already comes with the sport button standard. I would love the PSE but I really had to draw the line somewhere. This build in Canada with taxes is already over 150K. I chose to add options that couldn't be added later. I can easily add the PSE in the future when I need a little change.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Viper3838
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Doc 76, any idea how much is PSE in Canada added afterwards?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 PM
doc76
Track Day

I never bothered checking. If we are around par, it's a no brainer to get it done in the US. We'll probably save about $1000.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doc76
I had a blast with my Cayman S but was time to trade it in for my dream car. Delivery in March. The dealer only had a AWD non S today for test drive. I was surprised how good it sounded at higher RPM and decided to pass on the PSE. The 991 4S Build is as follows:

Rhodium Silver
PDK
Sport design wheel
Wheel cap crests
Sliding glass sunroof

I'm super pumped, gonna be a long winter waiting.....
So did you order this buy it off the lot.

Looks like a lot build. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
...to my eyes the contrast of the silver/gray tach dial in the 991S is very low compared to the black one which if I were to guess, the latter would be preferred by the majority.
I ordered the black dials because I found them far more legible. I like the idea of white gauges but skipped it because of cost and the fact that now one of the 991 gauges is electronic and it looked odd contrasting against the white gauges. Like a black eye!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 PM
doc76
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
So did you order this buy it off the lot.

Looks like a lot build. Nothing wrong with that.
No my build is a custom order. The cars they had on the lot had a lot more features which I had no interest in using and paying for like power seats, bose stereo, headlight package, etc...
The C4S thankfully comes standard with a lot of the things I was looking for.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Doc,

That sounds about right. Everywhere I have been they have 2014's on the ground loaded up with so many options. If a buyer right now is dead set on leaving the dealer with a car and has money to burn, an optioned up $144,000 C2S is just what the dealer wants you to leave with.

Glad you ordered yours the way you want.

I just happened to get lucky and find a 2013 with 12 miles on it and only the things I reallly neeeded.

PDK
Sport Chrono
PSE
20" Classic's
blacked out headlamps
sunroof in glass
parking sensors

...smoking package.. Ok, I guess if it has it I'll take it! lol. Just another place to plug in another phone. My daughter plugs her in there when mine is plugged in under the armrest.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:29 PM
doc76
Track Day

MarcusG,
If I found one like yours, I would have bought it!
The cheapest C4S they had at the dealer was 159k plus fees/taxes (13%)!!!

Quick Reply: Just traded in my 2010 Cayman S for 2014 C4S!