Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just traded in my 2010 Cayman S for 2014 C4S!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 PM
doc76
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just traded in my 2010 Cayman S for 2014 C4S!

I had a blast with my Cayman S but was time to trade it in for my dream car. Delivery in March. The dealer only had a AWD non S today for test drive. I was surprised how good it sounded at higher RPM and decided to pass on the PSE. The 991 4S Build is as follows:

Rhodium Silver
PDK
Sport design wheel
Wheel cap crests
Sliding glass sunroof

I'm super pumped, gonna be a long winter waiting.....
Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by doc76
I was surprised how good it sounded at higher RPM and decided to pass on the PSE. The 991 4S Build is as follows:

Rhodium Silver
PDK
Sport design wheel
Wheel cap crests
Sliding glass sunroof
Add the PSE !
Old 10-11-2013, 09:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Congrats!

Might want to rethink the PSE. Very expensive to add after delivery through Techquipment.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Congrats--

Great build, but you gotta add the PSE. Why such a long wait?

I had a blast with my Cayman S but was time to trade it in for my dream car. Delivery in March. The dealer only had a AWD non S today for test drive. I was surprised how good it sounded at higher RPM and decided to pass on the PSE. The 991 4S Build is as follows:

Rhodium Silver
PDK
Sport design wheel
Wheel cap crests
Sliding glass sunroof

Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 PM
doc76
Track Day

I had a feeling I would be getting this! lol. My rational is as follows, the PSE addition later even with labour and taxes will be cheaper if I add it later at a US dealer compared to adding it on now in Canada. Remember our prices are significantly higher here.
Not sure about the long wait, although I'm not upset about getting the car at the end of winter.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Idunlap34
Rennlist Member

Great build! PSE is definitely nice!
Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 AM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

Congratulations on your build!!! I'm excited for you; I've got a Dec build date and Feb can't get here fast enough.

I chose Rhodium as well, awesome color! I did get PSE. Not a must have, but pretty high up there.

However, PLEASE tell me you ordered the Sport Chrono PKG???!!! That is absolutely #1 on my options list IMHO; much more so than a glass sunroof.

Also, there are some little gottchas that thankfully I knew about; Smoking PKG, Black Instrument Dials, not needing power steering plus, etc.

I spent a year talking with the dealer, test driving various models and playing with the Porsche Configurator before I finally pulled the trigger.

Anyway, I know you're pumped. March will be here before you know it! CONGRATS again!!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:56 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rhodium Silver
PDK
Sport design wheel
Wheel cap crests
Sliding glass sunroof

PSE is a very personal preference and do not let the common wisdom on this board sway you. The 3.4 engine without the PSE is the best Porsche sound IMO. The PSE on the 3.4 is the second best sound. The 3.8 engine with and without PSE is a toss up trading the lower volume (my preference) for a great sound while standing (the overrun sounds not my cup of tea).

Also, I have the base C2 without Sports Chrono and have not missed it in any way besides being happy not to see the dash wart (again personal preference). So unless you are wanting to spend some track time, unnecessary in my opinion.

The C4S in the Rhodium is a great choice BTW, and accentuates the curves of the 4 better than the GT Silver that I have and love.

You are gonna love it when it gets here.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:14 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I do have the sportchrono, and honestly, at the the moment I see zero benefits. I feel i wasted my money on that one !
Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by FlyScotty71
Also, there are some little gottchas that thankfully I knew about; Smoking PKG, Black Instrument Dials, not needing power steering plus, etc.
With regard to the black dials, are you saying you wish they were standard in another color besides black? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 AM
doc76
Track Day

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Re the sports chrono....I ticked that option on my 987 because without it you didn't get the sport button so it was a must have. Now as you know, Porsche smartened up and gives you the sport button standard. For me there is absolutely no need for a sport+/launch control feature unless you are into heavy track use. Plus the dial on the dash takes away from the refinement of the car.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Re the sports chrono....I ticked that option on my 987 because without it you didn't get the sport button so it was a must have. Now as you know, Porsche smartened up and gives you the sport button standard. For me there is absolutely no need for a sport+/launch control feature unless you are into heavy track use. Plus the dial on the dash takes away from the refinement of the car.
Yeah, but Sport Chrono on the 991 also gives you; dynamic engine mounts, and Sport Plus has a big interphase with the PDK aside from launch control.

But in all fairness, at some point ya just gotta stop "checking boxes".....and I get that.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:11 AM
doc76
Track Day

One point I wanted to make was about my test drive. I drove the 991 4(non S) pdk as the dealer only had an S in manual. I was surprised at how lethargic the car felt in the lower RPM range compared to the Cayman S. Could this be due to the weight of the car? Even in sport plus it felt like it lacked low end torque. I presume this isn't going to be an issue on the 4S.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 AM
rpilot
Pro

One point I wanted to make was about my test drive. I drove the 991 4(non S) pdk as the dealer only had an S in manual. I was surprised at how lethargic the car felt in the lower RPM range compared to the Cayman S. Could this be due to the weight of the car? Even in sport plus it felt like it lacked low end torque. I presume this isn't going to be an issue on the 4S.
The C4 with the 3.4 will feel lethargic with a manual considering it is the heaviest and slowest of the 991s with the torque curve quite different than that of the S and you have to rev the engine to get the most out of it. I am very happy with my base C2 w/ PDK, but I am sure you made the right choice with the C4S.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:23 AM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
With regard to the black dials, are you saying you wish they were standard in another color besides black? Thanks.
The black dials are standard on the C2 / C4. The C2S and C4S have a grey center tach by default but can be ordered with a black dial as a zero cost option.

Quick Reply: Just traded in my 2010 Cayman S for 2014 C4S!