MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, thanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:12 PM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, everyone. This has been very useful. Kosmo's track experience is exactly what I was looking for. This is what I would have thought. The only thing that made me think twice about the 2S/4S decision are some reviewers (e.g., Evo) preferring the 4S, but it is not clear how much that has to do with them not liking pdcc, especially in the 2S. And the fact that the 4S seems to be quicker in a straight line, and on most race tracks, even in the dry. That later point is a bit of a surprise. But I hate understeer, and it understeer arrises in twisting mountain roads in California and on the track. On a quick test drive, the 4S did feel less fun. More planted and less playful. BTW, the 4S does not have greater grip (I will not bore you with the relevant physics lesson, but I will note that bigger tires don't have greater grip than smaller ones). The 4S does, however, have greater traction, and I think most people talk about the combination of both when they say "grip" because the bottom line is that the 4S is less likely to spin out because of its traction advantage.

I don't suppose anyone has driven pdcc anon non-pdcc back-to-back and can comment on the feel, numbness, understeer issue? I'm sure pdcc is faster on the track, that's not the question. And, yes, I've search the forums for the many pdcc discussions....

Originally Posted by kosmo
ok so Ive drive both 2 and 4s on the track back to back.
short answer is that up about 8/10 you cant tell any difference, after that the 4 does understeer more.

its really amazing on 2 points: 1. the 2 is extremely planted and 2. the 4 does not feel like an AWD car

i like the 911-50 otherwise, man up and get the 2
Old 10-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in Miami, would never consider a 4s, but if I lived in CO would never consider a 2S!!!

AWD is very nice to take fast turns on non ideal conditions, 2WD is more fund and faster.

I have PDCC and love it, would recomend it. The idea that the car feels more numb is not acurrate. What you do not get is the roll in a curve, so the car does not alert you that you are getting close to the limit, but then so does the 4S, feels "numb" compared to 2S because you slide on all 4 instead of loosing your end. Take a test drive on a PDCC car, it just feels great on a fast turn, no body roll, and it is faster, no wonder active suspension was banned from F1 racing.

I do not see the need to have 4S in Miami. In any case get PSE, and the sport design steering wheel, those are a must, you will regret if you don't.

Last edited by Augustomf; 10-03-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I also drove a PDCC 2S and a non-PDCC 2S back to back. I spent most of a day comparing the two and the difference is remarkable. It convinced me to check the box on my order.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 AM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Did you break traction on both cars? And if so, was it progressive in the pdcc car? I have no doubt that pdcc is faster and possibly more comfortable as well. I'm worried that it is also less safe. I'm not the Stig, but I'm his less talented cousin who sometimes drives too fast and needs every signal he can get from the car when he's approaching the limit. Does pdcc undermine that? That's the question.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 AM
exponential
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Driving a sport car is about fun.

C2 is more fun to drive. So very easy to decide.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradB
I also drove a PDCC 2S and a non-PDCC 2S back to back. I spent most of a day comparing the two and the difference is remarkable. It convinced me to check the box on my order.
Did the same and same conclusion.

Until I tried the SPASM that is. Then I checked the SPASM and unchecked the PDCC.

Rainier
Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
Did the same and same conclusion.

Until I tried the SPASM that is. Then I checked the SPASM and unchecked the PDCC.

Rainier
Wise choice, as I understand the PDCC has the opposite effect south of the equator and actually exaggerates body roll.

Just kidding!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Im getting pdcc and spasm. Ive always chosen 2's on my 911's and i live in toronto. The gt3 is 2wd......what else can you say. Well I guess there is something else you can say.....all F1/indy/nascar etc etc are rwd. 4s great in bad weather.....i drive my other cars in bad weather. I would never buy a 911 for its bad weather capabilities. I worry about other cars sliding into me.....not how well my 911 performs in wet/snow. But,everyone is different and the porsche bean counters know that.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

The C2S with Sport PASM is a very sweet ride. Lowering and stiffening provide increased "feel" while not diminishing the suppleness at all.

Just got Motor Trend with the "Best Driver's Car" road tests that have been on the web for a while. Last year a C2S with (I think) Sport PASM won. This year a C4S without Sport PASM, but with ceramic brakes won. The times for the Porsches were very close, within a couple 10th of a sec, what I would consider "on any given day and track temp" variation.

Several of the other cars lapped Laguna Seca faster last year and this, but most that did had more track oriented tires. Pobst and others lauded the confidence that the 4wd provided in the Porsche. Most interesting to me was Pobst's comment that he would have liked less oversteer in the C4S!.

There is a chart with all of the lap times they have recorded at the track. The 991 is faster than recent GT3s even with less track focused tires.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

When I bought my 997.2 (now gone and waiting for my 911/50) I asked my salesman whether to get a c2 or c4. This was at the largest dealer in Canada. I told him price was no object and that I would order based on his suggestion. I thought he would say c4 because it would cost more. Thats not what happened. He asked if i was planning to drive it in the winter. I said no way it would ever see snow. He said it was then a no brainer. He said that almost all the sales guys preferred the c2. I asked why. He said that they all preferred the balance of the c2 and it was more fun. Maybe the 991 is a little different. I was happy with the c2 but I liked the look of the wider body with wider stance and wider tires. Then the Porsche Gods gave me what I really wanted.....a c2 with the wide body.......hello 911/50!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 PM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Well, I was all set to get the 2S based on this discussion, but I posted on Evo Magazine forums their thoughts because they prefer the 4S. And they (are at least Henry Catchpole) is strongly recommending the 4S because of the steering. On a quick test drive, I couldn't tell a steering difference, and the 2S was more playful. Too bad you can't push these things on a test drive:

http://community.evo.co.uk/forums/th...=1#post1209895
Old 10-04-2013, 10:59 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewk34
On a quick test drive, I couldn't tell a steering difference, and the 2S was more playful. Too bad you can't push these things on a test drive:
Hmm... just a couple of days ago I test drove a 2014 Cayman S, the built-in G meter red 1.03 g max after our spirited test drive. Salesman didn't say a thing.

Ryan
Old 10-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

These guys for EVO and other magazines test these cars for a very short time. Give me the opinion of owners with years of experience anytime. Also, as I said the 991 might be different than the 997.2 with electric vs hydraulic steering. Read the magazines with a grain of salt. I have owned 3 911's. When I took out a 991 for the first time I actually liked the steering. A little less sensitive but more comfortable. Mine is a daily driver 7 months of the year. I'll take a little more comfort for that so called "feel" and I had my 997.2 for almost 5 years. When I get my 911/50 I will let you know more.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:35 AM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add another perspective; I've had a RWD Porsche for the past 8 years (an 06 987S and a RWD 997.2) that were driven year round in Toronto weather, rain, snow and sleet
(Proper winter tires of course ) with no issues.

Yes, in really inclement weather a 4WD 911 may be the better choice but the RWD is more of a driver's car that feels more lively in real normal day to day driving.

Both are fantastic choices. Good luck in your decision !

Quick Reply: 2S versus 4S