Sponsored by:

Jaguar F type for a day vs. 991 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jaguar F type for a day vs. 991 C4S

My 991 C4S was at the shop yesterday for a checkup and a software upgrade (something about a glitchy warning regarding the AWD display.)

Anyway, drove a new Jaguar F type convertible with the supercharged V8. Nice looking car - white with Red/black leather. 495hp. $105k.

My thoughts:
Sport exhaust was over the top, almost too loud and crackly. The same neighbors that tell me they love the sound of my C4S leaving the neighborhood in the morning would surely call and complain if I fired up the F type before noon!

Pretty "torquey" feel from that V8. Twitchy and skittish are words that come to mind when driving around town in sport mode.

Doesn't feel anywhere near as "planted" on the road as the 991. Steering didn't feel as sure. More body roll than I have become accustomed to.

Leatherwork on the interior was very nice. Some of the control areas (like around the power seat controls on the doors) were a shiny plastic, and I thought looked a little cheap. Reminded me of 90's U.S. domestic finish.

Rims looked cool, but had a snap-on plastic carbon-fiber-look piece on half of the "spokes."

BIG brake rotors. Squealed like crazy, but stopped on a dime.

Overall, I'd characterize it as a euro take on the "muscle car" rather than a sports car. The car is good looking, and I suspect Jaguar will sell a fair number of them, but shouldn't expect many Porsche converts. I must say, I was very happy to get back in my C4S at the end of the day.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:15 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A car guy I know who works in the same office building as me, just got one of these (the V6 ) after getting rid of a 996. His comment when I caught up with him one day.. "It's a fun little car but I am happy I leased it instead of buying it."

Quick Reply: Jaguar F type for a day vs. 991 C4S