Sponsored by:

'washing' with WD40

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 'washing' with WD40

So, due to an unfortunate incident, my car ended up with a splash of tar all along one side below the door-line. I didn't spot it for a couple of days due to inclement weather by which time it was pretty well set.

After washing with concentrated liquid and trying a clay-bar I had hardly made any progress in removing the tar. A mate of mine said; "Spray WD40 on, leave it for ten minutes and then it'll just wipe off."

Yeah, right, as if.........

Well, I did just that (with a huge amount of scepticism, I must add). I was astonished at just how effective this stuff was. The tar just wiped clean and then I washed off the residue.

Which brings me to the topic: what I also noticed is that the area I had sprayed/wiped/washed was immaculate - at least as good as after a clay-bar session, perhaps better. And unbelievably easy to achieve. I imagine that WD40 is pretty neutral on our cars' paint (well, after two days now there is no apparent sign of anything) so I wonder if anyone here has had a similar experience and, more importantly, has anyone actually been brave enough to spray THE WHOLE CAR and admire the results?

Just asking.

nb: I absolutely hold no brief in any way for this product!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:34 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

All the track guys know this trick.

You probably need to re-wax those areas, too. FYI. I would not try this on any clear bra, untill color tested. Not good for your stone guards either.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:45 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
You probably need to re-wax those areas, too. FYI. I would not try this on any clear bra, untill color tested. Not good for your stone guards either.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:12 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oooo, good tip!

How nice it would be not to have to orbital polish out the light scratches after clay bar cleaning off the winter grime.

I'll try this in the spring.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Oooo, good tip!

How nice it would be not to have to orbital polish out the light scratches after clay bar cleaning off the winter grime.

I'll try this in the spring.
The only way to correct the paint and remove light scratches is with the proper polish and orbital polisher. A drum of WD-40 won't do I thing.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:22 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes I've used wd40 and other penetrants. It does remove Tar, gunk, and tire marks. I usually follow it w/ a spot wash using Dawn and then reapply a thin wax coat.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:03 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 161 Posts

3M adhesive remover works even better. Don't put it on stone guards, decals or plastic films.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

WD40 makes your car faster as it slides through the wind!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

WD40 is amazing stuff. Also takes crayon on walls and gum from carpet. Very good rust preventative and oddly enough poor lubricant.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 98 Posts

I've used WD40 to remove adhesives and tar before. It contains a solvent similar to turpentine, which is why it dissolves stuff like tar, but also contains mineral oil which is why I wouldn't spray it all over my car as the OP asked about.

Stoners makes a product designed to remove bugs, sap, and tar called Tarminator. In addition to not containing any oil or other lubricants it's also more cost effective to use. (No affiliation just a satisfied customer)

www.tarminator.com/
Old 09-24-2013, 10:45 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've used WD40 to remove adhesives and tar before. It contains a solvent similar to turpentine, which is why it dissolves stuff like tar, but also contains mineral oil which is why I wouldn't spray it all over my car as the OP asked about.

www.tarminator.com/

Thanks, Mike.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Einszett also makes a decent bug and tar remover. I would try that before WD40, but that's just my humble opinion.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Ive used Einszett and CHemical guys Bug n tar remover. E is more money than C and they work about the same.

MIke, you sure youre not affiliated w/ Stoners? We know you live in California!

The key to these products are whether they are Ph Balanced and whether they will remove wax.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The only way to correct the paint and remove light scratches is with the proper polish and orbital polisher. A drum of WD-40 won't do I thing.
I neglected to point out that it is the clay bar process that causes the scratches.

Anything that removes winter grit and grime without scratching like a clay bar is a win.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:57 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I neglected to point out that it is the clay bar process that causes the scratches.

Anything that removes winter grit and grime without scratching like a clay bar is a win.
Winter?! do they even have winters in the Bahamas?

Quick Reply: 'washing' with WD40