Sponsored by:

Is break-in or run-in really required?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 AM
alexneo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I think I agree with KeyLeft. My engine felt very coarse, restricted and vibey the first few 100km. I can't imagine what damage I would have done would I have not taken it easy back then ! If something doesn't feel smooth, to me logic dictates not to force it !
+1
Old 10-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Blargh9
4th Gear

Was told by porshe dealsr that the reason why Porsche and other manufacturers ropagate the myth that cars need to be "broken in" is to avoid new drivers pushing the car too hard before they are familiar with it. Has nothing to do with the actual engine.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Breaking in an engine has some remarkable similarities to taking a woman's virginity. Think about the analogies for a minute ! And then decide which way is the way to go !
Old 10-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Breaking in an engine has some remarkable similarities to taking a woman's virginity. Think about the analogies for a minute ! And then decide which way is the way to go !
Great analogy.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

So, be aggressive to avoid getting "Friend-Zoned"?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:13 PM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I just returned home from European Delivery, which provides for the ultimate break-in!

At delivery, I was instructed to keep the revs under 5000. I did keep the revs under 5000 the entire trip, save for once. I was driving in the left lane when I saw that the lane was ending soon. There was a line of cars to my right. I floored it and reached 6000 rpm, in order to find a spot to pull over.

Other than that, no full throttle take-offs from stopped. Varied RPMs constantly. Never lugged the engine. I did experience many full throttle accelerations in 4th and 5th gears. When will I ever be able to do that again??? I fully intend to have a freely revving car!

I'm very happy and comfortable with my break-in. Already 1700 miles done!!!

Kevin
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kes7u
I just returned home from European Delivery, which provides for the ultimate break-in!

At delivery, I was instructed to keep the revs under 5000... I did experience many full throttle accelerations in 4th and 5th gears.
Kevin
A quick check of the 991 power curve (click the i next to 400 hp) http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...turesandspecs/ shows that at 5,000 rpm the 991 is at 75% hp and virtually at peak torque. One could certainly do better, but in terms of seating the rings "many full throttle accelerations in 4th and 5th" is certainly going to get the job done- provided of course that we're talking about the first hundred miles or so.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 AM
smithr
Track Day

My dealer told me to forget about the break-in period and "enjoy" the car from day one. I drive such low annual milage (The C2S is my DD) that keeping a high-end torque car under 4000rpm for 2000 miles would of made me go insane!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer also told me to forget the break-in and drive the car hard from day 1. He said with all of the dyno testing these cars are put through in production, at the time the car is delivered the engine is either broken in or it would have broken down!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:05 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Is break-in required?
An analogy might be as follows.

Is flossing "required"?
Technically no, but it's highly recommended and good for your mouth in the long run.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I think I agree with KeyLeft. My engine felt very coarse, restricted and vibey the first few 100km. I can't imagine what damage I would have done would I have not taken it easy back then ! If something doesn't feel smooth, to me logic dictates not to force it !
What is your understanding of internal combustion engines? what so greatly do you believe is happening at 4200rpm vs 7200rpm?

absolutely horrific analogy.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eg991
My dealer also told me to forget the break-in and drive the car hard from day 1. He said with all of the dyno testing these cars are put through in production, at the time the car is delivered the engine is either broken in or it would have broken down!
Only one flaw in that rationale. There's no dyno testing.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:58 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

What is your understanding of internal combustion engines? what so greatly do you believe is happening at 4200rpm vs 7200rpm?

absolutely horrific analogy.
What do YOU think is happening at high revs ?

You really believe there is no extra wear and tear at high rpm ?

Last edited by bccars; 10-08-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

What do YOU think is happening at high revs ?

You really believe there is no extra wear and tear at high rpm ?
Good questions. Most people seem to assume that there just has to be metal to metal contact occurring, to some degree or other, more or less all the time. Under that assumption they come to the obvious conclusion that more throttle and higher revs just naturally equals more "wear and tear."

But what actually happens is hydraulic forces (aka, lubrication) prevents this contact. "Wear and tear", in the sense most people think of it, happens not when you floor it but when you first start it up. Those few moments after starting and before oil pressure comes up account for virtually all the "wear and tear" over an engines lifetime.

But what about high RPM? Still no contact, therefore no "wear and tear". But, lots more physical stresses on all the parts. Its the repetition of these high stress cycles that can cause parts to fail. Its obvious when parts break. But they don't always break. Stress cycles can also result in parts merely going out of spec- and out of spec parts can result in contact, and wear and tear, eventually failure.

And so: when is it safest to use max output and RPM's? When the engine is fully in spec. And when is an engine most likely to be fully in spec? When its brand new.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
Thumbs down

Offensive, vulgar and crass..

Flame away.

Quick Reply: Is break-in or run-in really required?