Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Dealers Posting Sales Info?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:35 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on Dealers Posting Sales Info?

I posted this a little earlier today on the 991 Turbo forum. Posting here for readers opinions/thoughts. Thx

At the risk of appearing less than PC, IMHO I would prefer that dealers and forum sponsors like Sonnen NOT post threads about their allocations. The forums and threads should not be turned into a Classified section but should remain focused on the delivery of information and opinions about the cars themselves. I am interested in what any knowledgeable individual has to say regarding a topic/thread including sales people. We have a "Marketplace" section for pure sales information.
On a related note, my dealer informed me that out of market sales ( including internet) by dealers are looked at very negatively by Porsche and actually diminish future allocation. No, this was not a ploy by my dealer to keep me buying from him. My sale was completed long before this conversation and my cost was very competitive.
I apologize in advance for any controversy this may create but just my humble 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:05 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right or wrong, that's the way it is, not just on this forum. Site sponsors pair a fair amount, and this is 1 of the perks.

I can't say whether I agree or disagree. It's never bothered me though.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I have no problem with it. They pay to play.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:11 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't mind that Dealers or Rennlist Sponsors (vendors) use the Forums to post FS threads, because the pay for the right to do so and probably get more exposure in the Forums than in the Marketplace.

However, my pet peeve is when a vendor is trying to sell something and won't list the price of the item they are selling. I realize most of those items (like wheels, & other aftermarket parts) are also sold by other vendors, so they don't want other vendors to under cut their published price. That part I understand.

However, with that said, I will NOT PM someone to get a price. It makes me feel like they want me to beg them to give me a price! Consequently, I NEVER buy from those vendors.... PERIOD!

The same thing holds true for a vendor that does not list a price on their web site and want me to "contact them" for the price. SCREW THAT!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:46 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
However, with that said, I will NOT PM someone to get a price. It makes me feel like they want me to beg them to give me a price! Consequently, I NEVER buy from those vendors.... PERIOD!

The same thing holds true for a vendor that does not list a price on their web site and want me to "contact them" for the price. SCREW THAT!
Second that sentiment. But unfortunately it works. The lack of public pricing knowledge seems to keep prices high and margins fat.

Can't say that I've noticed the threads about allocations though.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sanantone
On a related note, my dealer informed me that out of market sales ( including internet) by dealers are looked at very negatively by Porsche and actually diminish future allocation.
I find this a stretch. I'm sure PCNA would love for customers to exclusively buy from their most local dealers, but US trade law prohibits "price fixing, etc." When I bought my first Porsche, a Cayman S, in 2006 the two local dealers belonged to the same group and didn't want to come anywhere near the prices I was reading about elsewhere. I was headed to Atlanta to pick up a car when at the 11th hour the local dealer all of sudden could match their price on an identically equipped car.
Since then a third dealer has opened here and it's owned by a different group. There is now true competition for your business both in sales and service, good for the consumer. When I bought my 991, I didn't need to go out of market, but would have in a heartbeat if I had a bad experience here.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Dealers Posting Sales Info?