Sponsored by:

50th edition still available?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Change MT boxst for PDK boxst, for dd ability and relaxed sunny day fun.
Change c4s for gt3, for adrenaline bursts in the best Porsche to date.
Can't cancel my C4S anymore... Changed my order from Rhodium to PTS Stonegrey a month ago, so order is locked and I want that car as my DD anyway

Maybe I just need a bigger garage...

Suzy991
Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

50th Anniversary Editions probably don't sell well because they are 2014 models, and that technically is the 51st year after the 901/911 1963 introduction. I somehow think Porsche was too slow to pull the trigger on this special car. (Also, there were no 1964 911's, the next year model was 1965 after initial 1963 introduction.)
Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Key Left
50th Anniversary Editions probably don't sell well because they are 2014 models, and that technically is the 51st year after the 901/911 1963 introduction. I somehow think Porsche was too slow to pull the trigger on this special car. (Also, there were no 1964 911's, the next year model was 1965 after initial 1963 introduction.)
That's not completely true... The introduction of the 901 was in 1963, but the first cars were sold in 1964. So basically it's exactly 50 years ago next year.

However, I don't think that is the reason why the car doesn't sell that well. I know a lot of people here on forums and also in the real world, that have canceled the car, after they innitially ordered it.
One of those is me. When I saw the first pictures of the Graphite grey car, I was convinced that this was the car I wanted. I already had an order on a C4S, but that wasn't locked, so I could change. I ordered the 911-50 and started waiting. One week before my order would lock, I drove to Zuffenhausen to see the car in person in the Museum and I wasn't blown away at all. It's not that both grey colors are ugly, but they just didn't do it for me. Plain black was no option for me, so I decided to cancel and go back to a C4S.

I've read this same thing from lots of people. At leatst there are 14 people I know that canceled the car because of the color(s). It also doesn't really help that the car is sold in the U.S. with the Powerkit for a rediculous low price and that the European version does not come with the powerkit for a much higher price. That's the wrong way around. They should have included the powerkit everywhere or nowhere.

Suzy991
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

apparently entire UK allocation of 911-50 sold ...
Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sfo
apparently entire UK allocation of 911-50 sold ...
How much allocation did UK get?

Suzy991
Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Can I be bold ?

I've seen them in person, both on the parking lot in Stuttgart in daylight and in the Museum under artificial light.

The reasons it doesn't sell for me are:
- the classic touches on the modern design do not work (especially the metal on the back is hideous)
- the color choices are too limited
- those are not really nice colors either (black is nice but not special enough for a limited edition, dark grey is ok'isch, the light color is just plain awfull)
- the interior is awfull with the houndstooth
- the wheels are really ugly with the matte black, they do not complement the car

Would you get a car not to your liking for the smallest chance in the world that you can retain more value (which it probably won't) ?
I'd rather have a built to spec non anniversary Carrera that I like (I do), even if that means loosing more money.
I'd rather have a 997 Sport Classic (that one is a gem visually)
I'd rather have a 30th 964 in that purple'ish color.

YMMV

THE car in the current lineup is the GT3 ... it has an aura when you see and hear it in person ... it eclipses even the mighty Turbo S ... very special car !
Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Bart Baeyens
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! A discussion about personal preferences! My favourite
Wat puzzles me is that the ones who didn't buy one always seem to think the ones that bought one are in it for the money, or better said the value after x years... Apparently, to them, it's impossible someone buys it just because they love it.

The colors are special, as they should be on an anniversary model and the Geyser Grey is just stunning.
The things that pulled me over (apart from the 50 years touches and the colors) are the rims, the houndstooth and the green dials which reflects the old cars perfectly into it's new watercooled jacket.

The 964 Jubi didn't sell well, also because of it's funky color, now, 20 years later everybody wants one. Some of us are pioneers and see the light while the rest is looking behind.
I'm looking at a 1:43 scale model right now and everything about it is just so right and so perfectly chosen that it can't be beaten by any built to spec Carrera because, let's be honest? Most of us don't come further than deviated stitching or a red interior in a grey car. Just look at the "perfect" 991 that was built by the Facebook users: white rims and a striping on funky blue (yawn). Is that it?
No, the Jubi is a different game, maybe too big for some, but they can always buy a second hand one in about 10 to 20 years

But hey, each to his own

Last edited by Bart Baeyens; 09-17-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Can I be bold ?

I've seen them in person, both on the parking lot in Stuttgart in daylight and in the Museum under artificial light.

The reasons it doesn't sell for me are:
- the classic touches on the modern design do not work (especially the metal on the back is hideous)
- the color choices are too limited
- those are not really nice colors either (black is nice but not special enough for a limited edition, dark grey is ok'isch, the light color is just plain awfull)
- the interior is awfull with the houndstooth
- the wheels are really ugly with the matte black, they do not complement the car

Would you get a car not to your liking for the smallest chance in the world that you can retain more value (which it probably won't) ?
I'd rather have a built to spec non anniversary Carrera that I like (I do), even if that means loosing more money.
I'd rather have a 997 Sport Classic (that one is a gem visually)
I'd rather have a 30th 964 in that purple'ish color.

YMMV

THE car in the current lineup is the GT3 ... it has an aura when you see and hear it in person ... it eclipses even the mighty Turbo S ... very special car !
The classic touches and the houndstooth are the ones that I personally like very much, because I like the classic look on a 991. I agree on the colors, although I have to admit that I started to like the Geyser grey for some reason. It's in fact a very classy and classic color, reminding of the early 356s and 911s in Ivory.

The 30th edition in Amethyst metallic, you mention, always was one of my favourite cars and colors. I even thought about getting my C4S in that color, but it didn't have the feasibility check yet. I ended up ordering Stone grey metallic PTS. (IMO the missing color in the current lineup, there's nothing in between silver and agate).

Regarding the GT3.... It truly is THE 911 in the current lineup (Yes... i'm still thinking about it.... ) The Turbo is the least attractive 911 at the moment IMO.

Suzy991
Old 09-17-2013, 08:26 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Suzy991
The 30th edition in Amethyst metallic, you mention, always was one of my favourite cars and colors. I even thought about getting my C4S in that color, but it didn't have the feasibility check yet. I ended up ordering Stone grey metallic PTS. (IMO the missing color in the current lineup, there's nothing in between silver and agate).
Indeed gorgeous car and color that 30th. Don't know about it's value though.
I saw one once at a gas station when I was young. Loooooooooooooooooooved it, never forgot that, allthough it was only staionary, no engine sound or revving going on.

Regarding the GT3.... It truly is THE 911 in the current lineup (Yes... i'm still thinking about it.... ) The Turbo is the least attractive 911 at the moment IMO.
Agreed 100%

Get the GT3 Suzy, if you don't now, you'll just loose more money along the way because you will not be able to resist that gt3 in the (near) future.

I admire the Turbo for its power, for its technical ability. It is a mechanical marvel. But estethically, not so much. Too in your face, too ... i don't now ... it just doesn't speak to me like the Carrera and the GT3 do ... doesn't have the beautifull, elegant, appearance of the Carrera ... doesn't have that poised, purposefull, overwhelming aura the GT3 has.
I find it hard to put into words. Sometimes it's just a feeling or a click you have or don't have with a car.

All I can say is I sure hope to add a GT3 to my stable one day ...
Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Indeed gorgeous car and color that 30th. Don't know about it's value though.
I saw one once at a gas station when I was young. Loooooooooooooooooooved it, never forgot that, allthough it was only staionary, no engine sound or revving going on.

Agreed 100%

Get the GT3 Suzy, if you don't now, you'll just loose more money along the way because you will not be able to resist that gt3 in the (near) future.
I don't know how I would lose money along the way the problem is that I haven't got the space to add another car at the moment and none of these cars is going to sleep outside. The biggest problem however is that I'm not sure if I would like to own a GT3. In a way that I absolutely like the Pagani Hyuara, but I never would want to own one, if you know what I mean.
The GT3 is a fantastic car, but I probably would never drive it, except on a track once in a while. I just hate to drive cars with wings on public roads... Hahaha

Suzy991

Last edited by Suzy991; 09-17-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

I don't know how I would lose money along the way the problem is that I haven't got the space to add another car at the moment and none of these cars is going to sleep outside. The biggest problem however is that I'm not sure if I would like to own a GT3. In a way that I absolutely like the Pagani Hyuara, but I never would want to own one, if you know what I mean.
The GT3 is a fantastic car, but I probably would never drive it, except on a track once in a while. I just hate to drive cars with wings on public roads... Hahaha
You'll loose money when you sell your C4S in 6 months. But You know what, it's none of my business, I'd better shut up and focus on my own Carrera and GT3 ;-)

I would not take a Huayra over a GT3. It has a Turbo engine, so no thx.
Now if you come to me with an older Zonda R. That is my alltime favorite car ! Sooooooooo hardcore. The ultimate expression of a car ! It is a GT3, and then some ... a fantasy ...

But in the real world (money, reliability, maintenance), I'll have the GT3 ! It has cast a spell on my in its 991 guise.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

You'll loose money when you sell your C4S in 6 months. But You know what, it's none of my business, I'd better shut up and focus on my own Carrera and GT3 ;-)

I would not take a Huayra over a GT3. It has a Turbo engine, so no thx.
Now if you come to me with an older Zonda R. That is my alltime favorite car ! Sooooooooo hardcore. The ultimate expression of a car ! It is a GT3, and then some ... a fantasy ...

But in the real world (money, reliability, maintenance), I'll have the GT3 ! It has cast a spell on my in its 991 guise.
I would never sell my C4S for a GT3... That's my daily driver. The GT is a nice second car, but would never be my daily driver.
There is one car however, I would like to have even more than a GT3 and that is a classic Alfa Romeo Montreal. It was the first car that gave me goosebumps all over when I was 6 years old. It's the one and only car that made me and my parents realize I'm a petrolhead. I think I would rather go for that one... But first I need more garage space

Suzy991
Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

The best values in the 991 lineup are the GT3 and then the 991 C2. The GT3 will also retain more of its value over time. Either the GT3 is a bargain or the other 991 variants are overpriced.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jon70
The best values in the 991 lineup are the GT3 and then the 991 C2. The GT3 will also retain more of its value over time. Either the GT3 is a bargain or the other 991 variants are overpriced.
+1
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jon70
That's not the case everywhere... GT3 here in Switzerland is $205k. In Holland it is even priced between the Turbo and Turbo S.
I agree that it will hold it's value better, but I don't really care about that too much. If I would buy a GT3, I would keep it for at least 5-7 years. Resale value would never be a point for me to buy or not buy a car.
Overpriced isn't any Porsche in the U.S. IMO they are all underpriced!

I think it is very personal if a car is worth the money or not. Some people will probably find it rediculous that I spend more than half the baseprice on options (mostly luxury options) on my C4S, but that's how I want the car to be.
The GT3 is not a bargain for me, because it is not what I look for in a 911 as a daily driver. For a second car, that will be used not very much, $205k without options is a lot of money and probably not worth it. At least not for me. I can have 90% of the GT3's fun in a Boxster S that costs only 45% of the money....

Suzy991

Last edited by Suzy991; 09-17-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 50th edition still available?